Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1001
thrilling and satisfying conclusion to this mystery trilogy
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE HAND ON THE WALL is a thrilling conclusion to the TRULY DEVIOUS series. Here, the students are at Ellingham, and Stevie is still solving the crimes of the 1930s, as well as the more recent seemingly-accidental deaths at the school. Stevie is watching David spiral downward, and sharing Janelle's excitement about her machine. However, things are changing once again, when there is an accident with Janelle's machine, and the professor Stevie was helping with her research on the Truly Devious case dies.

Time is ticking as the school is set to shut down and Stevie's time to solve the cases is running out. Bringing together all the events of the past books, this final story wraps up the plots perfectly. Johnson did some miraculous plotting to make it all come together just right in this thrilling conclusion. This book was certainly the fastest in terms of pacing, and it was just the right amount of suspense, glimpses into the past, and Stevie's mind to see how these crimes are solved.

This book was every bit as satisfying as I ever could have hoped. The characters are all eccentric but completely grow on you, and I loved seeing the end of their story. I certainly would not mind reading more books with Stevie- she's quite the tenacious investigator, and the way everything fits together is so clever. I do wish there had been either more connections with David or only friendship, as this seems to be an afterthought to the main plot (and romance was not necessary), but he fits into the plot in his own creative way.

Overall, this was an absolutely perfect finale to an engaging series. The questions we had have all been resolved, and it is quite satisfying.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Thousand Questions

0.0 (0)
Set against the backdrop of Karachi, Pakistan, Saadia Faruqi’s tender...

0.0 (0)
Second in a new series about a bright and determined...

0.0 (0)
There's a chill in the air and frost on the...

0.0 (0)
Disney’s classic animated films come to life in the latest...
Fence: Striking Distance

0.0 (0)
The boys of Kings Row bout with drama, rivalry, and...
Pirate Nell's Tale to Tell

0.0 (0)
From the author/illustrator team behind The Snatchabook comes a book-filled...
The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #2)

0.0 (0)
Once Upon a Time meets Game of Thrones in...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. A team of...
Finding Balance

0.0 (0)
Jase Ellison doesnt remember having acute lymphocytic leukemia when...
Be a Voter!: 450 Stickers for Democracy

0.0 (0)
Get out the vote! It’s...
I Believe In You

0.0 (0)
A charming picture book that inspires confidence, boosts self-esteem, and...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling...
Of Thorns and Beauty (Twisted Pages Book 1)

0.0 (0)
You think you know the tale as old time,...
The Verity

0.0 (0)
When being eaten alive is the least of your...
Meanwhile

0.0 (0)
Celebrate 10 years of this completely original graphic novel take...
Grant Beagan: The Finder's Code

0.0 (0)
He’s just an ordinary teenager who likes astronomy, video games,...

Latest Member Reviews

Ira's Shakespeare's Dream

"Becoming an actor is one good way to irritate your family, and in the early 1800s, Ira's father would really..."
Five, Six, Seven, Nate! (Better Nate Than Ever #2)

"Federle’s debut Better Nate Than Ever totally charmed me. As such, I was, for once, thrilled to learn of a..."
Starring Jules: In Drama-Rama (Starring Jules #2)

"Starring Jules (In Drama-rama) is another heartwarming and hysterical installment in the Starring Jules series. Whimsical illustrations highlight important moments..."