Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 535
solid anthology with plenty to love for Poe fans
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

WHAT I LOVED:

I read various poems and short stories written by Edgar Allen Poe as early as seventh grade, when my teachers started assigning them–and they were almost always assigned around Halloween. Listening to “The Telltale Heart” and reading “The Cask of Amontillado” out loud, I became fond of his work in a way I never did with other assigned readings. Heck, I have a fancy Barnes & Noble hardcover of Poe’s complete works that have silver-gilded page edges! That and a different-kind-of-fancy copy of Dracula are the only so-called classics I own. One of my favorite YA series is a contemporary retelling/spin on Poe’s collective works! (The Nevermore trilogy by Kelly Creagh, which you should go find copies of ASAP.)

All that is to say there was no question whether I’d be checking out an anthology full of Poe retellings. Of course His Hideous Heart landed on my TBR from the moment of its announcement.

The stories vary wildly in the genres they tap into, their settings, and their loyalty to the content of the original stories, but they all pair well with what they’re retelling–and if you want to compare them with ease or just enjoy the originals, Poe’s work make up the second half of the book. Emily Lloyd-Jones and Fran Wilde take “The Purloined Letter” and “The Fall of the House of Usher” respectively into technological futures in ingenious ways; Rin Chupeco’s “The Murders in Rue Apartelle, Boracay” is an especially memorable paranormal romp set in the Philippines, though the conversational style in which the story is told may be offputting. Hillary Monahan’s “Red” sticks out as the story to most closely emulate Poe’s writing style for readers who like their retellings to keep the style while telling a new story.

WHAT LEFT ME WANTING:

The only work that doesn’t quite fit in anthology was Amanda Lovelace’s take on “The Raven” via blackout poetry. With so much blacked out, readers are left with a very short poem and nothing else. If you do an image search for blackout poetry, you’ll find some incredible work that combines poetry with illustration to be something visually interesting and memorable. “The Raven (Remix)” fails to make the most of its verbal/visual medium and just doesn’t impress.

FINAL VERDICT:

If you’re a Poe fan like me, This Hideous Heart is sure to hit that eerie, spooky spot in your soul. Also I mean it, go look up Kelly Creagh’s Nevermore trilogy for some more Poe-related YA goodness published in the last decade!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Everything I Thought I Knew

0.0 (0)
A teenage girl wonders if she’s inherited more than just...
The Morning Flower (The Omte Origins, #2)

0.0 (0)
New York Times bestselling author Amanda Hocking returns to...
The Hunt

0.0 (0)
Death marked her from her very first breath. Being...
Swallowed by a Secret

0.0 (0)
One dead father. One lying mother. ...
Circus of the Dead Book One

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
There are many ways to die at the Circus...
Roaring

0.0 (0)
Colt Clemmons is an agent in a specialized division...
Court of Lions

0.0 (0)
Court of Lions is the long-awaited second and final...
More Than Just a Pretty Face

0.0 (0)
For fans of Becky Albertalli and Jenny Han, a...
The Adventurers Guild: Night of Dangers

0.0 (0)
After the events at Llethanyl, city of the elves, Zed...
And Then I Turned into a Mermaid (And Then I Turned into a Mermaid, #1)

0.0 (0)
For fans of Emily Windsnap and Maybe A Mermaid, And...
After the Worst Thing Happens

0.0 (0)
Left reeling after her thoughtless mistake causes a terrible accident,...
Hirana's War: Book Two in the Eloia Born Series

0.0 (0)
Praise for Eloia Born “Loved it! A well-written narrative...

Latest Member Reviews

That's Not What Happened

"WHAT I LOVED: There have been countless school shootings in the United States and hundreds if not thousands of..."
Tarnished Are the Stars

"FEEDBACK I actually really enjoyed this story. The beginning was a little confusing because there wasn’t too much explanation of..."
The Darkest Bloom (Shadowscent #1)

"Rakel wants nothing more than to get a well-paying job since she's so skilled with scents. Her father his what's..."
Creep

"CREEP is an interesting YA thriller/horror that follows an incoming high school freshman, Olivia (Liv). Olivia lives in a small..."
She's the Liar

"'She's the Liar' by Alison Cherry is about sisters Abby and Sydney and their time together at Brookside Academy. Abby,..."
Rated

"RATED follows six teens in alternating points-of-view as they navigate a dystopian future. In this society, your life is dictated..."
The Surface Breaks: A Reimagining of The Little Mermaid

"THE SURFACE BREAKS is a slow-building retelling of The Little Mermaid. While staying true to the classic, this story adds..."
Maybe This Time

"Sophie is bound and determined to make it out of her small Alabama town and attend design school in New..."
Skyjacked!

"Six students from an elite private school are returning home after a camping trip on the private plane belonging to..."
Not if I Save You First

"this book is amazing!!! I am still reading it but I am up to a good part. don't wanna spoil..."
The Deceiver's Heart

"THE DECEIVER'S HEART opens in an epic way. Kestra tries to kill Lord Endrick, but fails and tries to escape..."
Stepsister

""The wolves in the woods have sharp teeth and long claws, bit it's the wolf inside who will tear you..."