Review Detail

Keystone Featured
Young Adult Fiction 597
engaging YA read
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

KEYSTONE is an interesting YA dystopian. In the future, the world is now one collective country and is primarily ruled by consumerism. There are multiple classes, and the seemingly top of the top is the Influencer class, where their worth is decided by the companies who invest in them. Ella was born to two Influencer parents, who mainly wanted the monetary bump having a baby would give them. They have expected her to now earn her own.

Ella, however, wants out. She does not fit into this world, and she does not like the person she would have to be in order to fit in. Luckily, she is intuitive, and her skills are sought by Disconnects, people who live without technology. She is now attending the seemingly-mythical Keystone, an academy of thievery, where she will learn how to break into just about anything and steal whatever she needs/wants. As part of this education, there is an internal contest before a large heist that will determine their post-schooling careers in thievery.

The story here is intriguing, and at its heart, not unusual. It's lonely at the top, and the lives of those we see on social media or TV is not as glamorous as it seems. The world is unique, but I did not feel like we got enough explanations of what was going on. We get crumbs here and there, enough to have a vague picture of this future, but I would have liked to go deeper. This seems unique and complex, and it would be interesting to flesh it all out.

There's also some kind-of-romances that have some instalove feel, and they worked enough to advance the story, but I did not get super into the couples/love triangle. There's also some pretend-neuroscience that draws from myth in a way that sounds sciencey, but as a neuroscientist, I found this a little weird, but I bet most people won't bat an eye.

Regardless, I did really enjoy this read. There's a lot going on, and I liked Ella enough that I wanted to follow her story. There's quite a bit of fun and competition going on, and I would definitely like to continue reading about this world in the future. While others have mentioned a cliffhanger, there is one, but I did not find it too huge. I definitely want to know what will happen next though!

Overall, I would recommend for people looking for a futuristic/dystopian YA read. This is an intriguing book that I want to learn more about!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account