Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 497
Fun glimpse of teen Loki
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

LOKI: WHERE MISCHIEF LIES tells a new story of teen Loki, before all the big battles and intergalactic feuds with Thor. Here, Loki is a young prankster with a great gift of magic and eye for trouble. When a strange request for help comes from London, Loki is sent to investigate...and finds himself surrounded by darker trouble than he expected.

3 things I loved about WHERE MISCHIEF LIES:
1.) Fascinating but brief look at Asgard- Though most of the story is set on Earth, the glimpses of Asgard, home to Loki, Thor, and Odin, the chapters of Asgard are incredible, offering a closer look at the magical realm.
2.) Great character examination of Loki- Loki has one of the strongest personalities in the Marvel universe. Mastering his strange mixture of sarcasm, angst, and surprising sincerity is no easy feat. WHERE MISCHIEF LIES presents a teen Loki exactly how you would imagine, and it’s a joy to read.

3.) Nice introduction to some of the lesser known Marvel/Asgard characters- If your primary exposure to Loki is through the Marvel movies, you might not know much about the Enchantress. Going in, I knew a little about her, but not much. Mackenzie Lee fleshes our her character for those unfamiliar, and uses her as a perfect contract to Loki.

What left me wanting more:
Sadly, the brilliance of Asgard’s depiction didn’t carry over into the historical London setting. In some ways, it felt more like a repeat of Lee’s prior works than a new adventure. However, those who can’t get enough of Lee’s London should enjoy the chance to dive back in.

Overall, this is a fun addition to the Marvel universe, and Loki lovers will not be disappointed.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Dealing in Dreams

0.0 (0)
The Outsiders meets Mad Max: Fury Road in this fast-paced...
Girls With Sharp Sticks (Girls With Sharp Sticks, #1)

0.0 (0)
Some of the prettiest flowers have the sharpest thorns. ...
The Secret Key (Agatha Oddly)

0.0 (0)
Meet thirteen-year-old Agatha Oddly – a bold, determined heroine, and...
Skipping Forward

0.0 (0)
What if you could skip forward in time, but...
The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)

0.0 (0)
New York Times bestselling author Maureen Johnson delivers the...
Finding Mr. Better-Than-You

0.0 (0)
A heartbroken teen, with the help of her best...
Golden Chains

0.0 (0)
Never fall in love with the enemy. If only...
Wardens of Eternity

0.0 (0)
Magic and magical creatures. Immortal gods and goddesses. History...
Tweet Cute

0.0 (0)
Meet Pepper, swim team captain, chronic overachiever, and all-around...
Jack Kerouac is Dead to Me

0.0 (0)
Fifteen-year-old JL Markham's life used to be filled with carnival...
The Lost Legends

0.0 (0)
All her life, Princess Adalina heard tales of the legendary,...
We Are All His Creatures: Tales of P. T. Barnum, the Greatest Showman

0.0 (0)
In a series of interwoven fictionalized stories, Deborah Noyes gives...
In the Hall with the Knife

0.0 (0)
A murderer could be around every corner in this thrilling...
Birthday

0.0 (0)
Boyhood meets The Sun Is Also a Star in this...
A Betrayal Exposed (Not Every Girl Book 3)

0.0 (0)
Olivia Davenport’s life is finally going smoothly, until if falls...
Freaky in Fresno

0.0 (0)
Influencers. Movie nerds. Beauty queens. And one pink convertible. Have...

Latest Member Reviews

Hatter M  The Nature of Wonder  Volume 3

"Hatter Madigan has just escaped a mad house to travel to Washington D.C. in 1865. He's still looking for..."

"Reader reviewed by Kelsey Seeing Redd by Frank Beddor is yet another look into Alyss' fantasic thrill-ride Wonderland. Ever..."

"Reader reviewed by Misty (Book Rat) The Looking Glass Wars is an alternate history retelling of Lewis Carrolls Alices Adventures..."

"Reader reviewed by Joe M. Seeing Redd is the sequel to one of my favorite books, The Looking Glass Wars...."
Hatter M: Mad with Wonder

" What if the girl Alice from the story Alice in Wonderland really existed?  And the world got the story..."

"Reader reviewed by moonymaster The book was okay but by the end I felt very unfulfilled. Nothing interesting happens until..."

"Reader reviewed by Lexie I have never been interested in Lewis Carroll's books, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the..."

"Reader reviewed by Lexie The second book in Beddor's Looking Glass Wars trilogy picks up fairly closely to the end..."

"Reader reviewed by alex fast paced adventure.  fans of fractured fairytales will love this book. the series is a take..."

"Reader reviewed by KitKat What an original idea! It was the premise that hooked me - the writing style was..."

"Reader reviewed by Stephanie The evil Redd Heart has disappeared into the Heart Crystal, and Alyss is now the rightful..."

"Reader reviewed by Stephanie You thought you knew the story of Lewis Carrolls Alice in Wonderland& well, think again. Frank..."

D2 Dominique, 2006 Teen Demi-Goddess
"Everyone knows the story about Alice in Wonderland&but what if some of that was true? What if there was..."

"Reader reviewed by mimagirl I went into this novel - "the true story of Alice in Wonderland" - rather uneasily,..."

"Reader reviewed by Jocelyn This book has popped up everywhere. I've seen it all over the place! For some reason,..."

"Reader reviewed by Alexandra Surely you know the story of Alice in Wonderland. But you probably know the Lewis..."