Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1760
charming YA contemporary
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THROW LIKE A GIRL is a charming story about chasing your dreams, a little romance, and a passion for sports. Liv is a star softball player at her private school, which she attends on an academic (read: athletic) scholarship. After she punches a player on the opposing team, she is suspended and loses her scholarship, meaning that she will not be able to attend the next year. She is then sent to public school, the same one which had the player she punched.

Once there, she finds that the softball coach is reluctant to consider her for the team, as she is concerned about her temper. She suggests that Liv play a fall sport and show her that she can be a team player. Liv is not particularly interested in any of the fall sports offerings, but she plans to do cross-country. However, when the school's quarterback sees her practicing/throwing balls with her younger brother, he knows that he needs to recruit her to play football.

Although Liv is reluctant at first, she eventually agrees when she sees that she may have a better chance of convincing the softball coach that she is team player. Once on the team, Liv is surprised to find out how much she likes playing. The only hurdle is that her parents do not particularly approve of football, so Liv decides to keep it a secret.

As she plays, she also can't help noticing how attractive the injured quarterback who recruited her is. As they spend more time together, she finds that she enjoys talking with him as well, finding a new friend in him and his crowd.

This was overall a charming story with plenty of sports and high school drama (keeping secrets from parents, dating drama). I really enjoyed it. It was an easy book to plow through, as it is super-enjoyable from start to finish with nary a dull moment. Liv, her friends, her family, and even the other football players are all super-well fleshed out, and I really loved meeting all these characters. I could definitely see them all as real people, and the characterizations were beautifully done. Her BFF is so wise, and her siblings were top-notch people who also stuck up for each other. Her parents have a lovely relationship and also care about their children a lot, but are also very reasonable. I adored them all.

The romance was also totally swoon-worthy (and clean), which is fantastic in a YA novel. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a contemporary YA read with some romance and sports elements. This is a sweet and charming read from start to finish with some truly incredible characters.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Instant Karma

0.0 (0)
In New York Times bestselling author Marissa Meyer's young adult...
Put Yourself in My Shoes

0.0 (0)
When Cricket goes for a walk, he finds Ladybug searching...
Selma

0.0 (0)
Selma is asked: What is happiness? ...
Benjamin's Blue Feet

0.0 (0)
A young bird with a flair for discovery and invention...
Pocket Piggies: I Love You!

0.0 (0)
What’s the best thing in the world? I...
Everything Under the Sun

0.0 (0)
Sun’s Reach is in dire peril. The last...
Lizzy Albright and the Attic Window

0.0 (0)
Lizzy Albright, a red-headed, freckle-faced girl from Overland Park, Kansas,...
Send Me Their Souls (Bring Me Their Hearts, #3)

0.0 (0)
There are worse things than death. ...
The Walrus and the Caribou

0.0 (0)
When the earth was new, words had the power to...
The Elephant's Umbrella

0.0 (0)
Elephant is always ready and willing to share her prized...
Calvin Gets the Last Word

0.0 (0)
The dictionary as narrator? YES! ...
Goblin King (Permafrost, #2)

0.0 (0)
In Kara Barbieri's Goblin King, the stunning sequel in the...
Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)

0.0 (0)
Morrigan battles a new evil as a strange, frightening illness...
The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)

0.0 (0)
*AN INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER* From New York...
Earth-Shattering Events: Volcanoes, earthquakes, cyclones, tsunamis and other natural disasters

0.0 (0)
An atlas of the most extreme meteorological and geological disasters...
Among the Beasts and Briars

0.0 (0)
Ashley Poston, acclaimed author of Heart of Iron, returns...

Latest Member Reviews

Weregirl

""Weregirl" takes the reader through a fantastic supernatural mystery within the small town of Tether. Tether's water supply had been..."
Nimona

"Oh my gosh!!!!!!! This is the cutest graphic novel I have read in a long time! Cute and entertaining and..."
Nimona

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Why, man, why?! I'm gonna start this review off extremely honest; I have NO idea why I put..."
Sanctuary: (Shifter Chronicles Book 1)

"Sanctuary (Shifter Chronicles, #1) by Melle Amade The Story: Shae spent the entire summer without hearing a word from..."
Soldier (Talon #3)

"I have loved this series since the beginning but I just knew Soldier was going to be a little different..."
Weregirl

"Nessa Kurland struggles with her day-to-day, typical teen life. She worries about how she will pay for college and if..."
Soldier (Talon #3)

"What I loved: I have found myself completely invested in the world that Julie has created and the characters..."
Darkest Fear (Birthright #1)

"What I Liked: The heroine Vivi is a haguari, which means that she, like her parents can shapeshift into a..."
Thornhill (Hemlock #2)

"After reading and loving Hemlock, I couldn’t wait to get my hands on Thornhill and revisit these characters. Peacock really..."
Thornhill (Hemlock #2)

"What I Loved: What a sequel! I really enjoyed HEMLOCK, book one in this series, and was hoping to..."
Skulk (Skulk #1)

"A copy of this book was provided by the publishers in exchange for an honest review. I have developed..."
Breathless (A Firelight Novella)

JenJen
"Firelight fans need to read this for two reasons: 1) Because Az needs her own, full length story after..."