Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 488
fascinating sci-fi YA
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

PAX NOVIS is an engaging YA sci-fi novel that takes place in the future, when humans have colonized other planets. Most of the planets are at war, creating a lot of orphans, death, and destruction. The Pax ships are essentially humanitarian, with the crew having given up all allegiance to any planet/place and having Pax citizenship. The crew is mainly composed of the children of children of people who gave up allegiance and were often born and raised on the ships.

The Pax ships carry necessities like food, water, and basics to help civilians who live on the planets. Although their resources are sometimes stretched thin, they believe in their mission to make sure people are taken care of. Cira is one such Pax citizen who believes in the mission, though she does not understand why they cannot transport or offer particular aid to the orphans of the ongoing wars. She has committed treason in that she has aided children to be secretly transported and, in some cases, allowed them to remain as stowaways on board the ship.

Riston is one such stowaway, the one who has been there the longest. He is accompanied by four younger stowaways, who are all really smart and talented children. They all know the ship very well and escape detection through those means. If they are caught, the sentence could be imprisonment/forced to serve in military or dangerous factory or death (depending on age, etc.).

When items start going missing on board the Pax Novis, Cira is quick to blame the stowaways, even though they have as much to lose as anyone by the thefts/carelessness. The alternative is too dangerous- that someone else may be aboard the ship with more sinister motives. When other Pax ships begin to drop communications and then somehow disappear completely, the race is on to save their own ship from the same fate.

This book is a solid sci-fi with great world-building (or should I say universe-building). I fully comprehended the ship, the people, and the situations in this future. The characters are also fully realized, particularly Riston but also Cira, her mothers, and to a lesser extent, the other stowaways. I also really loved how the book not only gives us Riston and Cira's perspectives, but it also includes various documents that come together to give more background on the stowaways, the Pax fleet, and the group behind what is happening to the ships.

Probably one of the the best parts of the book is all the representation with Cira having two mothers plus other LGBT relationships mentioned, a few main characters (Riston, Adrienn) falling in the non-binary (using a new pronoun of ze, zis), and Cira identifying as ace/asexual. While these were not the main plot points of the story (vs. the thriller/suspense of ship sabotage, etc.), their inclusion makes the book all the stronger for it.

Because of all the world-building and character introductions, which are needed with a world so different and such a high volume of characters, the book moves pretty slowly at first. I think I would have liked less at the start in favor of a faster plot, but I imagine future books will be much faster-paced due to all the details and slow-build of this first book. I definitely want to revisit this universe and characters again, regardless.

Overall, this was a fascinating sci-fi/thrilleresque YA read that I would recommend to anyone looking for books with great representation, strong world-building, and a unique plot! I very much look forward to reading the next book.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Thousand Questions

0.0 (0)
Set against the backdrop of Karachi, Pakistan, Saadia Faruqi’s tender...

0.0 (0)
Second in a new series about a bright and determined...

0.0 (0)
There's a chill in the air and frost on the...

0.0 (0)
Disney’s classic animated films come to life in the latest...
Fence: Striking Distance

0.0 (0)
The boys of Kings Row bout with drama, rivalry, and...
Pirate Nell's Tale to Tell

0.0 (0)
From the author/illustrator team behind The Snatchabook comes a book-filled...
The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #2)

0.0 (0)
Once Upon a Time meets Game of Thrones in...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. A team of...
Finding Balance

0.0 (0)
Jase Ellison doesnt remember having acute lymphocytic leukemia when...
Be a Voter!: 450 Stickers for Democracy

0.0 (0)
Get out the vote! It’s...
I Believe In You

0.0 (0)
A charming picture book that inspires confidence, boosts self-esteem, and...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling...
Of Thorns and Beauty (Twisted Pages Book 1)

0.0 (0)
You think you know the tale as old time,...
The Verity

0.0 (0)
When being eaten alive is the least of your...
Meanwhile

0.0 (0)
Celebrate 10 years of this completely original graphic novel take...
Grant Beagan: The Finder's Code

0.0 (0)
He’s just an ordinary teenager who likes astronomy, video games,...

Latest Member Reviews

A Thousand Questions

"A THOUSAND QUESTIONS is a heartfelt contemporary middle grade that transports the reader to Pakistan. Mimi is 11 years old..."
My Skull Possession

"My Skull Possession is a book which seems to be scaring people to death. Brighton wants to find out the..."

"Beautiful book. This book is beautiful inside and out. That's the first thing a reader will notice. The artwork is..."

"So cute, and just in time for Christmas! This book had me at bears. From the front cover in,..."

"So much fun. Disney Block is a board book for any age of Disney fan. Whether you're with a kid..."
Fence: Striking Distance

"FENCE: STRIKING DISTANCE is a charming YA contemporary fiction that takes place at a boys' boarding school. We follow different..."
Crossing Lines

"Reviewed for YA Books Central And engaging story about how our differences shape our worldview. ..."
Focused

"!"
Horrid

"After Jane's father sudden dies, Her mother, Ruth, ends up moving them across the country. They move into her mother's..."
Pirate Nell's Tale to Tell

"PIRATE NELL'S TALE TO TELL is a charming picture book about Nell, who has always dreamed of being a pirate...."
Be a Voter!: 450 Stickers for Democracy

"BE A VOTER! is a delightful collection of stickers that encompass the power of voting, the democracy, and the reasons..."
I Believe In You

"I BELIEVE IN YOU is a delightfully encouraging book with bright colors and a charming story. While the main text..."
The Oracle Code

"THE ORACLE CODE visits Barbara Gordon (aka Batgirl and Oracle) in her teens after an accident that paralyzes part of..."
The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #2)

"THE GLASS QUEEN is an intense and fantastically written fairytale retelling of Cinderella. In the kingdom of Enchantia, fairytales are..."
The Kingdom of Back

"Marie Lu’s The Kingdom of Back is an historical fantasy based on real-life talents, Wolfgang Amedeus Motzart and his sister,..."
Meanwhile

"'Meanwhile' by Jason Shiga is a graphic novel adventure that will remind readers of the types of books in which..."
Fisher- Price Fun in the Jungle: Explore, Touch, and Feel

"FUN IN THE JUNGLE is an adorable board book great for infants and young toddlers who are exploring the world..."
Glitter Globes: The Night Before Christmas

"THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS modifies the original poem to be more modern and easily understood by young children. The classic..."
Twisting Minds

"The story: At seventeen, Claire Harper’s life has taken a turn for the worse – her mother..."
Breathless

"BREATHLESS is a book about change, secrets, and the aftermath. Claudine (Claude) is about to graduate high school, and she..."