Review Detail

Resistance is not Futile
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

This is the type of book I’d like to see included in school curriculums. The stories are like wide open arms: welcoming, understanding, and accepting. Each story was poignant some more than others, but they did what they set out to do.
The stories covered a wide range of people. It doesn’t cover every single marginalized group, but it does a decent job of what it covers.

What makes this anthology a standout are the subtle, yet powerful acts of resistance. Each teenager faced adversity and though they were afraid, they didn’t back down in the face of it. I think it’s important for young readers to see that their stories matter. That they have a right to stand up for themselves. They have a right to have a voice and to use it.

Some stories touched me more than others. Jason Reynolds’, ‘Shift,’ was an almost lyrical poem that will go over your head if you don’t pay close attention—but it’s meaning is powerful. Are you The Good kind of Muslim? by Samira Ahmed, it wasn’t very long, but it had a loud resonating voice. Aurora Rising by Yamile Saied Mendez, had me squinting at the pages in anger, but it has an ending that was worth waiting for. As You Were Bethany C. Morrow, was an eye-opening realistic portrayal of racism. It showed the true-to-life affects police brutality has on the psyche of black people. It doesn’t harp on black pain, but more on the right to refute the power of racism. The right to say no and to stand strong in the presence of racism. A beautiful and evocative piece of literature.

The anthology is put together well and would make a great addition to any young reader’s shelf. Highly recommended.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Prophecy Untold (Shadow Realms book 3)

0.0 (0)
Finding out my mother was taken by the demons...
Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things

0.0 (0)
In this charming debut about first love and second...
Six Goodbyes We Never Said

0.0 (0)
Two teens meet after tragedy and learn about love,...
Golden Crown

0.0 (0)
No longer only a warrior. Not just a queen....
The Galactic Adventures of Hazel - Gurecoa

0.0 (0)
What is it like to live in 4519 AD...
Batman: Nightwalker (The Graphic Novel)

0.0 (0)
This action-packed graphic novel based on the New York...
Stuffed

0.0 (0)
Welcome, little one. You have been chosen to join us,...
Estranged #2: The Changeling King

0.0 (0)
Enter a world of faerie magic and epic adventure in...
The Edge of the Word (Mightier than the Sword, #2)

0.0 (0)
The exciting follow-up to Mightier Than the Sword, the humorous...
Write to Me: Letters from Japanese American Children to the Librarian They Left Behind

0.0 (0)
A touching story about Japanese American children who corresponded with...
Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orisha)

0.0 (0)
After battling the impossible, Zélie and Amari have finally succeeded...
Rat Rule 79: An Adventure (Yonder, #1)

0.0 (0)
From the New Yorker “20 Under 40” author of Atmospheric...

Latest Member Reviews

Do Fish Drink Water?: Puzzling and Improbable Questions and Answers

"Reader reviewed by Jamie Synopsis An official webmaster for Xerox provides factual and often funny responses to the multitude..."

"Reader reviewed by Julie This book was filled with so many facts I just couldn't get enough of it. I..."

"Reader reviewed by Amanda Bill McLain has all of the answers to the strangest questions. Im sure youll enjoy finding..."