Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 885
poignant and engrossing
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

WHEN THE STARS LED TO YOU is quite the emotional YA contemporary. While on the surface it seems like a romance, the book is really about mental illness and related struggles. Although it may not be clear when picking this book up, I think it's important to have warnings for depression and suicidal ideation as this can be a trigger for some people.

The book is told in the first person perspective of Devon, who had fallen in love with Ashton one summer. He ghosted her, and she was devastated. She is shocked to see him at her school a year later for their senior year. As they begin to get to know each other again, they face many challenges, big and small. Devon is biracial and black, and she faces many microaggressions and racism because of it. They are also an interracial couple with a wealth disparity that adds some complexity in terms of familial acceptance.

This was a really poignant and intense read, not to be started lightly. The content is quite heavy, but very important. The journey is worth it. The depiction of depression was really well done, and I loved that resources were shown as well. For that reason, this book is a great one for young people who might be dealing with this or who know people who are to pick up. Adding on top of that the lesser themes, and this is a powerful read. I will also say that the ending is a little open for people who like closure to be forewarned.

Poignant, engrossing, and addressing important issues, WHEN THE STARS LEAD TO YOU is a beautifully written YA contemporary read. Recommend for older YA and adult audiences (some sexual content).
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Prophecy Untold (Shadow Realms book 3)

0.0 (0)
Finding out my mother was taken by the demons...
Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things

0.0 (0)
In this charming debut about first love and second...
Six Goodbyes We Never Said

0.0 (0)
Two teens meet after tragedy and learn about love,...
Golden Crown

0.0 (0)
No longer only a warrior. Not just a queen....
The Galactic Adventures of Hazel - Gurecoa

0.0 (0)
What is it like to live in 4519 AD...
Batman: Nightwalker (The Graphic Novel)

0.0 (0)
This action-packed graphic novel based on the New York...
Stuffed

0.0 (0)
Welcome, little one. You have been chosen to join us,...
Estranged #2: The Changeling King

0.0 (0)
Enter a world of faerie magic and epic adventure in...
The Edge of the Word (Mightier than the Sword, #2)

0.0 (0)
The exciting follow-up to Mightier Than the Sword, the humorous...
Write to Me: Letters from Japanese American Children to the Librarian They Left Behind

0.0 (0)
A touching story about Japanese American children who corresponded with...
Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orisha)

0.0 (0)
After battling the impossible, Zélie and Amari have finally succeeded...
Rat Rule 79: An Adventure (Yonder, #1)

0.0 (0)
From the New Yorker “20 Under 40” author of Atmospheric...

Latest Member Reviews

Do Fish Drink Water?: Puzzling and Improbable Questions and Answers

"Reader reviewed by Jamie Synopsis An official webmaster for Xerox provides factual and often funny responses to the multitude..."

"Reader reviewed by Julie This book was filled with so many facts I just couldn't get enough of it. I..."

"Reader reviewed by Amanda Bill McLain has all of the answers to the strangest questions. Im sure youll enjoy finding..."