Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1286
Added Insight into Characters
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

'Stranger Things: Runaway Max' by Brenna Yovanoff provides an intriguing look into Max's life before and during her time in Hawkins, Indiana. While trying to find her place once she moves to Hawkins from California, she meets Lucas, Dustin, Mike, and Will, along with some of the other main characters from Stranger Things. She wants to be part of their group, but finds herself guarded and worried about what will happen if she gives in to the temptation of getting to know them and actually starting to believe their stories about all of the crazy things that have been happening in town since Will mysteriously disappeared the year before.

All the while she tries to keep her worry at bay about older stepbrother Billy, who seems bent on making her life as miserable as possible, despite her sometimes thinking he is doing what he does because he cares about her. She learns quickly, though, that his easily provoked, highly angry nature is doing neither her nor him any favors, and his rage seems to easily turn into rampages that she doesn't want to affect her new friends, as she feels it did her old ones back in California.

Yovanoff brings added insight to the Stranger Things storyline through her writing. Having worked with the writers of the show, readers can be sure they are gaining more nuanced understanding to the inner workings of the characters. Definitely worth reading!
Good Points
Yovanoff brings added insight to the Stranger Things storyline through her writing. Having worked with the writers of the show, readers can be sure they are gaining more nuanced understanding to the inner workings of the characters. Definitely worth reading!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 1

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Thousand Questions

0.0 (0)
Set against the backdrop of Karachi, Pakistan, Saadia Faruqi’s tender...

0.0 (0)
Second in a new series about a bright and determined...

0.0 (0)
There's a chill in the air and frost on the...

0.0 (0)
Disney’s classic animated films come to life in the latest...
Fence: Striking Distance

0.0 (0)
The boys of Kings Row bout with drama, rivalry, and...
Pirate Nell's Tale to Tell

0.0 (0)
From the author/illustrator team behind The Snatchabook comes a book-filled...
The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #2)

0.0 (0)
Once Upon a Time meets Game of Thrones in...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. A team of...
Finding Balance

0.0 (0)
Jase Ellison doesnt remember having acute lymphocytic leukemia when...
Be a Voter!: 450 Stickers for Democracy

0.0 (0)
Get out the vote! It’s...
I Believe In You

0.0 (0)
A charming picture book that inspires confidence, boosts self-esteem, and...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling...

Latest Member Reviews

Ghosts of Lock Tower

"Abby finds herself investigating when a girl is found dead on campus. She has been having strange dreams and the..."
Spinner

"Feedback This book. Wow. I was blown away with how good Spinner is. The story is so original and kept..."
When Darkness Falls

"The story: When seventeen-year-old Austen finds her dad’s car on the side of the car with a dead women inside..."
Zero Sum Game - Book 2 of the Sid Rubin Silicon Alley Adventures

""I crack my knuckles and shake out my fingers. To quote The Grey, 'Once more into the fray.'" Sidonie..."
The Namarielle (Chronicles of Lashai Book 1)

"I love the budding love story mixed in with the evil that is happening around them, it gives the readers..."

"The Namarielle is the perfect addition to any fantasy novel collection. The world is so well imagined in the little..."

"The story draws you in and keeps you right up to the end! I can’t wait for the next book...."

"I can't wait to see where the next book goes!"
Sneaking Out

" ‘Sneaking Out’ is the first installment in the ‘Chase’ series. The setting is an elite New England..."
ALEX HUNT and the Chase for Rhapta

"When Alex's dad goes missing, she is the only one who can find him because she's also the only one..."
Ghosts of Bliss Bayou

"The story: Abby Renshaw is not a normal seventeen-year-old girl. She suffers from hallucinations wherein she sees ghosts, a..."
Ghosts of Bliss Bayou

"Captivating story, smooth writing style, well executed."
The Girl Who Saved Ghosts

"The Girl Who Saves Ghosts is as engaging, adventerous, and mysterious as the first in the series! There is murder,..."
The Girl Who Ignored Ghosts (The Unbelievables #1)

"The Girl Who Ignored Ghosts surprised me in a good way. I went in with very little expectations and now..."
The Curtain-Twitcher's Handbook

"Whipped through this one as it's a really chatty, easy read. After a while it's like listening to your best..."
Strange Luck

"Loved this book!!! It's a very quick, fun, strange, dark, and imaginative read and I seriously couldn't put it down..."
Assassins: Discord

"An exciting book that kept me on my toes, had me crying, and left me feeling good. Talk..."
Forever Blue

"Forever Blue by Abby Wilder The Story: When Lennon bumps into the elusive Judah Mitchell at the cemetery, she..."
Deceptions

"In Visions, I was introduced to the character of Heather Reiner, a vulnerable but brave teenage girl with the power..."