Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 865
An unlikely friendship - two wonderful characters
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Sam Jones and Zoe Miller are seniors in high school, but they've never had a reason to communicate during their years in school together. Sam is a nerd. She wants to be an aerospace engineer, and she's artistically talented, too. She also has only one friend, and she prefers to keep it that way. Zoe is the classic popular girl: she gets the lead in every school play, and she has a beautiful voice. She's also dating the star of the basketball team.

When Zoe approaches Sam about using one of her paintings in an upcoming play, Sam is freaked out to be speaking to someone on Zoe's level at the school. Eventually, the girls develop a friendship and bond over the home lives and family challenges that they're both trying to hide from everyone else. The two girls build a special world through text messages that they both visit when real life becomes too much, and Starworld is both a refuge and a secret that they share.

Although the girls' families provide plenty of tension and drama, the plot is made even more intense as Sam struggles with her romantic feelings for Zoe--and Zoe is completely oblivious.

STARWORLD by Audrey Coulthurst and Paula Garner is told in alternating voices, and the book does a great job of balancing drama and humor. I raced through the pages, and I was rooting for both girls to find safety and happiness. The characters of Zoe and Sam are both developed well, though Sam has a bit more depth--it's possible that's because she has to stand on her own so much while Zoe has more of a supporting cast with other friendships and a larger family. I enjoyed the story itself, and although I ended up skimming the sections where the girls' texts took them deep into Starworld, those forays didn't detract too much from the real relationships surrounding them.

All in all, STARWORLD is a completely charming book, and I loved being a fly on the wall through Sam and Zoe's story. My thanks to YA Books Central and the publisher for a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.
Good Points
Great main characters
A page-turner
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Kingdom of Ink and Paper (The Betwixt and Between Chronicles Book 1)

0.0 (0)
Every book you’ve ever read. Every story you’ve ever ...
The First Holidays

0.0 (0)
Lila Weston is a pro at keeping secrets, but this...
Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)

0.0 (0)
In this riveting, keenly emotional debut fantasy, a Black teen...
You Say It First

0.0 (0)
One conversation can change everything. Meg has her entire...
My High School Royal Boyfriend

0.0 (0)
ALEX A tragedy at Langley Estate puts my family...
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Clark thought he knew what grief was. Addie thought...
Tales from the Hinterland

0.0 (0)
A gorgeously illustrated collection of twelve “lush and deliciously...
Sisters of Shadow and Light

0.0 (0)
From the acclaimed author of Defy, Sara B. Larson,...
In the Penalty Box

0.0 (0)
Willow Figure skating was supposed to be my whole...
Unchosen

0.0 (0)
Katharyn Blair crafts a fiercely feminist fantasy with a horrifying...
Miracle Girl

0.0 (0)
Leanne Strong hates June eighth even though it's supposed to...
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Rosie Singer’s mom is missing whatever it is that...
Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke

0.0 (0)
On October 2nd, 1977, Glenn Burke, outfielder for the Los...
The Elephant in the Room

0.0 (0)
It's been almost a year since Sila's mother traveled halfway...
Alone in the Woods

0.0 (0)
Jocelyn and Alex have always been best friends...until they aren't....
Disaster Days

0.0 (0)
Hannah Steele loves living on Pelling, a tiny island near...

Latest Member Reviews

My First 100 Space Words

"MY FIRST 100 SPACE WORDS is a cute, illustrated collection of space-related words, including planet names, satellites, space junk, and..."
Five Little Monsters Jumping on the Bed

"FIVE LITTLE MONSTERS JUMPING ON THE BED is an adorable board book that changes up the classic song just a..."
Making Tracks: City

"MAKING TRACKS: CITY is a fun lift-the-flap board book that features tracks and asks who made them. When children lift..."
Let's Find the Kitten

"LET'S FIND THE KITTEN is a cute hide-and-seek, lift-the-flap board book. Kitten is hiding, but we don't know where. As..."
Pocket Piggies: I Love You!

"POCKET PIGGIES: I LOVE YOU! is another adorable collection of photographs of real pocket pigs. Each page features a short..."
Owl Always Love You

"OWL ALWAYS LOVE YOU is a sweet board book that is made for bedtime. It is a sweet poem about..."
When I Grow Up, I Want to Drive

"WHEN I GROW UP, I WANT TO DRIVE... is a cute lift-the-flap adventure of different work vehicles in action. On..."
Curious About Mammals

"CURIOUS ABOUT MAMMALS is a board book that presents some basic facts about mammals alongside realistic illustrations. It starts with..."
Peep!

"PEEP! is a board book that relies on illustrations to tell a story. A duckling hatches and sees a boy..."
The Wolf and the Fly

"THE WOLF AND THE FLY is a board book that follows the wolf as he devours everything on this shelves...."
Making Tracks: Jungle

"MAKING TRACKS: JUNGLE is an engaging board book that invites children to explore the footprints of animals and people who..."
Who Ate My Cakes?

"WHO ATE MY CAKES? is a cute lift-the-flap exploration with cakes! Cat has saved some pieces of cake, and he..."
What Can You See? At Night

"WHAT CAN YOU SEE? AT NIGHT is a delightful die-cut board book that peeks through to show all sorts of..."
Pat-A-Cake: First Book of Nursery Rhymes

"PAT-A-CAKE is a fun collection of nursery rhymes. Each page features a nursery rhyme plus cute illustrations of babies along..."
Who Ate My Fruit?

"WHO ATE MY FRUIT? is a cute, simple, and colorful lift-the-flap board book. Cat is hungry and wants to eat..."
I Can Code: If/Then

"I CAN CODE: IF/THEN is a book that tries to distill coding concepts to a toddler level. The book takes..."
This Little Piggy

"THIS LITTLE PIGGY is a simple rendition of the nursery rhyme in a board book. The book follows the "This..."
Making Tracks: Desert

"MAKING TRACKS: DESERT is a clever and fun exploration of footprints and desert animals. This book board features animal prints..."
Pocket Piggies: Christmas!

"POCKET PIGGIES: CHRISTMAS! is an adorable photo collection of miniature pigs in Christmas scenes. The text creates some rhymes, but..."
When I Grow Up, I Want to Be

"WHEN I GROW UP, I WANT TO BE is a fun flap-filled board book that shows a few high-profile careers...."