Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2770
A girl who's just trying to play the sport she loves ...
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Michigan Manning just wants to play hockey. Unfortunately, the high school she attends in the upper peninsula of Michigan has cut the women's hockey team at the start of Michigan's junior year, and she and her teammates are left to find other ways to play the sport that they love. Michigan's best friend, Brie, heads to a boarding school. Some of the other girls join a team in another city. A few switch sports. But Michigan loves hockey, and she is determined to keep playing. Her situation leaves her with one option: trying out for the men's hockey team at her high school.

In MICHIGAN VS. THE BOYS, Michigan deals with a whole lot of backlash as she tries out for--and makes--the men's hockey team. She feels deserted by her former teammates on the women's team, her mom seems disapproving, and her new teammates on the men's team are definitely NOT happy to have her aboard--and neither is her new coach, he begrudgingly added her rather than deal with a negative reaction from his hockey-playing step-daughter.

MICHIGAN VS. THE BOOK is a book that made me want to punch someone as Michigan navigated the many difficulties her male teammates threw at her, and it made me want to whoop for joy every time her friends and family supported her, and each and every time Michigan achieved success on the ice. Michigan's interactions with her dad and her younger brother--especially her brother--were my favorite parts of the story, but there's plenty more in the pages of the book to enjoy.

MICHIGAN VS. THE BOYS is a book I would have devoured in middle/high school. Heck, I devoured it as an adult! Author Carrie Allen writes the hockey scenes really well, and even readers who aren't hockey fans will be able to follow along with the action.

I highly recommend MICHIGAN VS. THE BOYS. It was a quick read, and it gives the reader a lot to think about. It's also a great conversation starter. I've seen some reviews that say it's unrealistic that Michigan would face the pushback that she did in today's world--I have to disagree. We haven't moved along quite as far as they seem to think when it comes to equality in sports--though I appreciate their optimism!

My thanks to YA Books Central and the publisher for a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.
Good Points
Great action scenes on the ice
It gives readers a lot to think about
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Traitors Among Us

0.0 (0)
World War II may be over. But two sisters are...
The Devil Makes Three

0.0 (0)
When Tess and Eliot stumble upon an ancient book hidden...
African Icons: Ten People Who Shaped History

0.0 (0)
Meet the ten remarkable kings, queens, inventors, scholars, and visionaries...
Liar's Room

0.0 (0)
This spooky stand-alone from MG horror expert Dan Poblocki is...
Manu: A Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
Set at a magical school for girls, a funny and...
Barakah Beats

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Nimra Sharif has spent her whole life in Islamic...
Cold-Blooded Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle #3)

0.0 (0)
Myrtle Hardcastle—twelve-year-old Young Lady of Quality and Victorian amateur detective—is...
How to Get Away with Myrtle (Myrtle Hardcastle #2)

0.0 (0)
Myrtle Hardcastle has no desire to go on a relaxing...
Playing the Cards Your Dealt

0.0 (0)
Ten-year-old Anthony Joplin has made it to double digits! Which...
Kyle's Little Sister

0.0 (0)
My name is Grace, not "Kyle's little sister!" ...
Ground Zero

0.0 (0)
In time for the twentieth anniversary of 9/11, master storyteller...
Final Season

0.0 (0)
From New York Times bestselling author and former NFL player...
Sunny Makes a Splash (Sunny #4)

0.0 (0)
The latest in the New York Times bestselling Sunny series...
The Magical Reality of Nadia (The Magical Reality of Nadia #1)

0.0 (0)
Inspired by the author's real life experiences, this rollicking, charming...
What Adults Don’t Know About Architecture: Inspiring young minds to build a more beautiful world

0.0 (0)
Children are rarely introduced properly to architecture, but there are...
The Curse of the Crystal Cavern (The Pathfinders Society #2)

0.0 (0)
Fresh from their hair-raising adventures in The Mystery of the...

Latest Member Reviews

Six Crimson Cranes

"Six Crimson Cranes by Elizabeth Lim is a beautifully written fairy tale that whisks the reader away from reality to..."

"Sam and Isla are twins. They often give fabulous dinner parties at their grandmother's fancy NYC apartment. When their grandmother..."
The Fault In Our Stars

"I had enjoyed this book to great extent. I loved the relationship connection between the two characters and how the..."
Realm Breaker

"It took me nearly a full month of reading, but I finally finished Realm Breaker, the first book in a..."
Rent a Boyfriend

"I'm not even sure where to begin with this review, to be honest, because I loved this book so much...."
A Song of Wraiths and Ruin (A Song of Wraiths and Ruin #1)

"This was... one of the best books I've read in a long time. It was one of my absolute favorite..."
Yes No Maybe So

"I should start by saying I don't normally read books involving politics because I read to escape real life. That..."
Jackaby

"This book was a pleasant surprise. Jackaby by William Ritter is the first in the series by the same name...."
The Camelot Betrayal (Camelot Rising, #2)

"Now that the Dark Queen has risen, Guinevere and Arthur must do everything they can to keep Camelot safe. However,..."

EJ Elisha Jachetti, Staff Reviewer
"THE CAMELOT BETRAYAL by Kiersten White is the second book in her YA retelling of the King Arthur Legend. The..."

"If your expecting the same type of books that you’ve been reading in this series, you’d be wrong. This whole..."

"THE CAMELOT BETRAYAL continues Guinevere's story as she seeks to find her footing in a world that keeps throwing her..."
Kingdom of the Wicked

"Thrills and chills abound in Kerri Maniscalco‘s new release Kingdom of the Wicked. I don’t know where to start! This..."
Among the Beasts and Briars

"Ashley Poston has crafted a new fairy tale for the ages! Among the Beasts and Briars may very well be..."
The Code for Love and Heartbreak

"The Code for Love and Heartbreak by Jillian Cantor is a witty, contemporary take on Jane Austen’s classic Emma. It’s..."
The Library of Lost Things

"I wasn't sure what to expect with The Library of Lost Things, but I know I didn't anticipate a book..."
Where Dreams Descend

"WHERE DREAMS DESCEND is an intriguing YA fantasy. Kallia lives with Jack, a man that she has always known and..."
The Night Country (The Hazel Wood #2)

"Alice Proserpine thought she was mostly back to “normal” life after breaking from her story in the Hinterland, but when..."
He Must Like You

"'He Must Like You' by Danielle Younge-Ullman is an intensely provocative look at the various ways in which consent, upset,..."
Unscripted

"A book so real it can be u comfortable at times. The story: Zelda doesn’t have a..."