Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 882
cute and light-hearted contemporary romantic comedy
(Updated: August 31, 2019)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A MATCH MADE IN MEHENDI is a light-hearted contemporary romance. Simi aspires to be an artist, but right now, she's a sophomore in high school, trying to navigate her way through family expectations, high school difficulties, and finding her own style. Simi and her brother, Navdeep, come from a long line of matchmakers. As Simi has grown up learning, this is an important role, but it isn't one she really sees herself in.

When she is furniture shopping with her relatives, she notices a connection between her cousin and a man working there, sparking a match. Delighted at her skill, her mother and aunt try to pull her into the family business. After spending a little time with them, she notices the way that the process could be somewhat replicated by an algorithm, and with her engineering-skilled brother and best friend, Noah, they create an app for the high school called Matched! that will give a personality quiz with specially designed questions and then create matches between students.

The app is a huge success, but soon, Simi is under fire by a popular girl who has tormented her in the past because things are not going the way she wants. At the same time, Simi is navigating family expectations and her own quest for romantic connections.

This was a very quick and breezy read that is more romantic comedy than anything else. However, it does lightly tackle some big things such a bullying, being a racial/LGBT minority, and white privilege, as well as general high school concerns (e.g. 'tattling'). I think these were actually the most interesting parts of the book, particularly a few scenes where Simi's mother goes to bat for her against the injustice of the way the school is treating her vs. a white student. The messages are somewhat subtle, but powerful.

Simi will appeal to a younger crowd (the book could also be appropriate for older middle grade readers), and she's an intriguing character. Add that to the other characters who feature, and it's a cute read. I would have liked to see more of Noah's personality/life in the book as well as to go deeper into Simi's family. She certainly notes some sexism in expectations of her vs. her brother (for instance with furniture shopping) and her father is almost non-existent. It would have been interesting to address this further in the book also.

Overall a sweet and fun romantic comedy, this is a great book to take on vacation and enjoy. With some interesting themes and a very cute premise, this is a light-hearted read that appeals to a broad audience.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 3 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
It's Avery's senior year in high school, and she has...
Peppermint Post

0.0 (0)
'Twas the night before Christmas, when the North Pole's Peppermint...
Stolen from the Studio (Case Closed, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lauren Magaziner’s hilarious and high-stakes middle grade series gets a...

0.0 (0)
What's outside Pleasant Grove? Welcome to Pleasant...
The Wizenard Series: Season One

0.0 (0)
Reggie has never felt destined for greatness. He dreams about...

0.0 (0)
He’s a rebel with a cause… to make my...
TURBO Racers: Escape Velocity

0.0 (0)
The Fast and the Furious meets Transformers in the second...
Bread Lab!

0.0 (0)
It’s a sleepy Saturday morning for most people, but not...
A Thousand No's

0.0 (0)
This empowering picture book teaches readers that even great ideas...
Ronan Boyle and the Swamp of Certain Death (Ronan Boyle, #2)

0.0 (0)
The hilarious sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller,...
Sharko and Hippo

0.0 (0)
With tongue-twisty wordplay and escalating absurdity, this is a fall-down-funny...
The Thing About Bees: A Love Letter

0.0 (0)
A LOVE POEM FROM A FATHER TO HIS TWO SONS,...

Latest Member Reviews

The Faithless Hawk (The Merciful Crow, #2)

"THE FAITHLESS HAWK is one of my favorite reads of 2020. I laughed, I sighed, I cried, and this book..."
Dating Makes Perfect

"DATING MAKES PERFECT is a beautifully written YA contemporary romance that had me grinning from ear-to-ear. Winnie has two older..."
Chasing Starlight

"WHAT I LOVED: We think of the glitz, glamorous mega-stars, and classic movies when we think of the Golden Age..."
The Night Country (The Hazel Wood #2)

"Alice Proserpine thought she was mostly back to “normal” life after breaking from her story in the Hinterland, but when..."
Everything I Thought I Knew

"What worked: Intriguing plot of Chloe, a seventeen-year-old super-achiever, who ends up collapsing during her senior year in high school..."
The Adventurers Guild: Night of Dangers

"THE ADVENTURERS GUILD: NIGHT OF DANGERS by Zack Loran Clark and Nick Eliopulos is the culmination of a Middle Grade..."
The Pros of Cons

"WHAT I LOVED: I genuinely can't imagine four different events happening simultaneously in the same complex, but it happens..."
BRB I'm Going to Disneyland

"'BRB: I'm Going to Disneyland' by Courtney Carbone is a cute, quick read. As a novel written in texts, emails,..."
He Must Like You

"'He Must Like You' by Danielle Younge-Ullman is an intensely provocative look at the various ways in which consent, upset,..."
How the Stars Came to Be

"Reviewed for YA Books Central Beautiful in every aspect. The book: This is a story about how the..."
Unscripted

"A book so real it can be u comfortable at times. The story: Zelda doesn’t have a..."
The Dark Tide

"THE DARK TIDE is an enthralling and atmospheric YA fantasy read. We follow Lina, a townsperson, and Eva, the witch..."
Where Dreams Descend

"What worked: Beautifully written tale where a girl performer breaks away from her cage and enters a competition of magicians..."
The Black Kids

"THE BLACK KIDS is a really poignant read that ties history to the present. Ashley is a senior in high..."
What Goes Up

"'What Goes Up' by Christine Heppermann is a quick read, as it is a novel-in-verse, a format that can be..."
They Wish They Were Us

"THEY WISH THEY WERE US is an engaging YA thriller reminiscent of GOSSIP GIRLS. The book follows Jill, who had..."
Roaring

"ROARING takes place in the 1920s- with a twist. Monsters, sirens, minotaurs, basilisks, and more, exist, and they are woven..."
More Than Just a Pretty Face

"MORE THAN JUST A PRETTY FACE is a fantastic YA contemporary romance that follows Danyal during his senior year of..."
You Say It First

"'You Say It First' is easily one of those books you will either love or hate. My feelings fell somewhere..."
Court of Lions (Mirage, #2)

"COURT OF LIONS finishes the MIRAGE duology with aplomb. This YA fantasy series takes us to another planet and the..."