Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 932
heavy, atmospheric viking-inspired historical fantasy
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE GIRL THE SEA GAVE BACK is a stand-alone companion novel to THE SKY IN THE DEEP. A historical fantasy with compelling world-building and fierce battle scenes, this book is steeped in fate and destiny. Tova was found when she was six years old in a boat with markings all over it by a Svell, Jorrund who believes the gods sent her for him to find. He tells her and the Svell that she was sent to the sea as a sacrifice but rescued by another god and delivered to them; however, as we know from the prologue, she was on a funeral pyre, believed to be dead. Tova does not remember any of her past before washing up on the shore.

Tova had markings on her skin that reveal her as a Kyrr, a tribe which mostly keeps to themselves, and as a "Truthtongue," able to read the stones and reveal the future. The Svell hate her as a general rule, believing she should have been killed when found, and blaming her for the negative futures she sees. When she sees a particularly bad future, they set out on the path to war.

Halvard will be the next ruler of his people, the Nadhir, and he wants to do what is best for them. However, this is not always clear. When battles and devastation break out, his tasks become even harder, and he must decide who to trust and what the path should be forward, wearing the heavy mantle of leadership.

While both characters were interesting and the pace was very fast, we get only some flashbacks into their pasts. These were the heaviest part of the character-building in the book. However, the vast majority of the book takes place in the present, where battles are frequently brewing. I would have liked to spend more time in the past and in connecting Halvard and Tova. On the other hand, this writing style keeps the novel moving very quickly, keeping up the stress and pressure of their reality.

The book felt very atmospheric, and scenes were described well, making it come to life off the pages. I would have liked to know more about Tova's people (Kyrr) and have some more context for this. However, this allows us to really view the world from Tova's perspective, with her knowledge and mysteries.

Both Tova and Halvard bear heavy burdens of duty for the tribes where they are- one is worn more fondly than the other, but they tie them together. The connections that they have are more of fate and destiny than of discussions/time. While I tend to prefer the latter in my romance, this felt more true to the story and the vikings, making this a very intense read and very light romance.

Overall, this has heavy appeal for people who enjoy viking-inspired, historical fantasy, and I would highly recommend for people looking for a fast-paced and fierce atmospheric story with a heavy dose of fate and a light touch of romance. Fans of THE SKY IN THE DEEP will not be disappointed with this engaging spin-off stand-alone.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
In 2001, audiences first met and fell in love with...
On the Come Up

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers...
Spin

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Paris Secord's (aka DJ ParSec) career--and life--has come to...
Leah on the Offbeat

0.0 (0)
Leah Burke—girl-band drummer, master of deadpan, and Simon Spier’s best...
The Brightsiders

0.0 (0)
A teen rockstar has to navigate family, love, coming out,...
IMG_4918.jpg

0.0 (0)
The black X of the Aramach Rebels marks the...
City of Beasts

0.0 (0)
"If you see a beast, and you have the...
The Grace Year

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
No one speaks of the grace year. It’s forbidden....
The Fractured Empire

0.0 (0)
The Ceithren Empire is finally at peace, but for...
The Survival List

0.0 (0)
Sloane Weber is devastated when her older sister dies...
To Kill a Kingdom

0.0 (0)
This action-packed YA debut pits a deadly siren princess and...
Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into the Crooked Place begins a gritty two-book YA fantasy...
Kingdom of Souls

0.0 (0)
Magic has a price—if you’re willing to pay. The...
A Warm Friendship

0.0 (0)
"This heartwarming story deals with friendship, empathy, caring, nurturing and...
The Rift

0.0 (0)
As corporate greed is pitted against supernatural forces, two young...
Abraham Lincoln: The Making of America #3

0.0 (0)
The third installment of the Making of America series, Abraham...

Latest Member Reviews

Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

"As Middle Grade graphic novel adaptations go, this urban fantasy is above par. The artwork has a bit..."
Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)

"INTO THE CROOKED PLACE is an engaging YA fantasy that follows five characters on a quest of aligned goals- even..."
To Kill a Kingdom

"TO KILL A KINGDOM is a wonderful YA fantasy about a siren and a pirate. Told in alternating points of..."
The Rift

"THE RIFT is a unique YA fantasy that takes place on Black Water Island, a place prized for the herd..."
The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

"THE BEAUTIFUL takes place in New Orleans, primarily following a young woman, Celine. Celine fled France after a terrible event..."

"Eighteen-year-old Daniel Matheson goes to Madrid, Spain with his family in order for his mother to reconnect with the country..."
Glow of the Fireflies

"GLOW OF THE FIREFLIES is a YA fantasy that follows a teenaged girl, Briony, who has no memories from before..."
Creep

"CREEP is an interesting YA thriller/horror that follows an incoming high school freshman, Olivia (Liv). Olivia lives in a small..."

"EVE OF MAN by Giovanna and Tom Fletcher is the latest in YA dystopias. In the story, a phenomenon of..."

"Sam Jones and Zoe Miller are seniors in high school, but they've never had a reason to communicate during their..."

"Michigan Manning just wants to play hockey. Unfortunately, the high school she attends in the upper peninsula of Michigan has..."
When You Ask Me Where I'm Going

"WHEN YOU ASK ME WHERE I'M GOING is an absolutely gorgeous collection that reaches to touch the soul. In poems,..."
A Match Made in Mehendi

"A MATCH MADE IN MEHENDI is a light-hearted contemporary romance. Simi aspires to be an artist, but right now, she's..."
The Survival List

"A worthy read. The Story: Sloane is dealing with her sister's suicide when she finds a list her..."
I'll Give You the Sun

"I’ll Give You the Sun is a masterpiece of the Young Adult genre, perfectly incorporating the feel of what it..."
A Treason of Thorns

"A TREASON OF THORNS is a dark and enchanting YA historical fantasy. Violet comes from a long line of Caretakers,..."
The Girl The Sea Gave Back

"THE GIRL THE SEA GAVE BACK is a stand-alone companion novel to THE SKY IN THE DEEP. A historical fantasy..."
Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)

"KINGDOM OF SOULS is a dark epic fantasy that follows Arrah, a girl whose mother is the Ka-Priestess and whose..."
The Missing Season

"Urban legend in the town of Pender has it every October the Mumbler snatches a kid. Local authorities brush the..."
Tell Me How You Really Feel

"3 Reasons TELL ME HOW YOU REALLY FEEL needs to be on your shelf immediately: 1.) The spot-on comparison:..."