Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 476
a new favorite series
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE LADY ROGUE is an absolutely thrilling historical fiction/fantasy. In the vein of THE MUMMY but in Romania and with a YA crowd, this book completely enthralled me from page one. Theodora (a.k.a. Theo, Empress, and banshee) travels around the world with her father, searching for artifacts. However, she is often left behind at the hotel, while he does the dangerous parts in the name of her "safety." She is tenacious, bold, and has a great sense of adventure and humor that would suit her well on these missions.

She has just been arrested in Turkey and then abandoned by the woman who was supposed to be staying with her when her former romantic interest shows up. Her father has encountered some problems and has sent Huck to stay with her and protect her, taking her to a secret-ish location where they can meet. However, her father has found himself embroiled in an even bigger plot.

As Theo traces down his steps and the clues, her life is constantly in danger. With Huck by her side, they face many twists and turns in their search that lead them to the absolutely fantastic end.

What I loved: If you love THE MUMMY movies like me, this book has instant appeal- humor, artifacts, fantasy/magic-style danger, and a great romance all in one. I was positively gripped from the start all the way to the absolutely fantastic conclusion. There are a lot of twists and turns that I did not see coming, but I adored following along with the mystery/intrigue of it all. The plot is perfectly built (no plot holes here), and the world building is fantastic. The clues add up in a very well-timed fashion to keep the pace moving perfectly and maintain reader interest. The mystery certainly carries the plot, but the romance was not secondary- it was really well done, and I absolutely adored the main couple.

Final verdict: Highly recommend to anyone looking for a fantasy/adventure with a wonderful side of romance in YA fiction. Fans of THE MUMMY will be especially pleased with this new, highly addictive heroine and series. This was an absolutely delicious read from start to plot twists to finish.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account