Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 691
intriguing book with a twist at the end
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

YOU ARE THE EVERYTHING is an intriguing stream-of-consciousness style read that follows Elyse Schmidt, a 16/17 year old girl who has a huge crush on Josh Harris, a teenage boy who also plays the flute. Elyse went on a trip to Paris with her band, which also includes her snarky BFF, Kath. Elyse has been drawing comics of how she ends up kissing Josh Harris (always his whole name to Elyse), thinking that maybe if she can visualize it enough, it can happen.

However, none of these things have happened and now she is sitting silently next to Josh Harris on the plane, because she and Kath had a fight and so Kath switched seats with him for the flight back. When the plane crashes, Elyse miraculously survives along with Josh Harris, and the book follows the what happens after.

Told in the second person point-of-view, the reader is Elyse, making the story more personal and unexpected than otherwise possible. The reader experiences her anxieties, obsessions, and panic attacks alongside her.

This book was a different and more intense read- with a surprising twist ending. I was not sure how I felt about some of the characters, but ultimately, the end brings it together in a shocking way. I would recommend for people who enjoy surprising books with thought-provoking revelations. The book raises a lot of questions about life, purpose, and decisions made as well as about romance, crushes, mental illness, and even some about racism.

Overall, this was an intriguing read that I would recommend for people who are looking for a book that places the reader in the thick of it and includes a twist at the end.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Sage Sassafras’s life is cursed! No, really. Since birth, Sage...
Naked Mole Rat Saves the World

0.0 (0)
Can Kit’s super-weird superpower save her world? ...
The Brokenhearted

0.0 (0)
teenage girl is transformed into a reluctant superhero and...
Brave Enough

0.0 (0)
Teenager Cason Martin is the youngest ballerina in the Atlanta...
I Wanna Be Where You Are

0.0 (0)
When Chloe Pierce’s mom forbids her to apply for a...
The Moment We Fell (Mystic Shores Series, Book #1)

0.0 (0)
Nothing good happens when people keep secrets. ...
The Hit List

0.0 (0)
The Los Angeles Conservatory for the Arts is supposed to...
Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball (Amelia Fang, #1)

0.0 (0)
A hilarious illustrated middle grade series for reluctant readers starring...
Amelia Fang and the Unicorns of Glitteropolis (Amelia Fang, #2)

0.0 (0)
The second book in a hilarious heavily illustrated middle-grade series...
Small World

0.0 (0)
When Nanda is born, the whole of her world is...
On the First Day of Summer Vacation

0.0 (0)
When school is out, it’s time to celebrate and have...
Ada Twist and the Perilous Pants (The Questioneers, #2)

0.0 (0)
An instant New York Times bestseller! ...
Bad Bella

0.0 (0)
Bella is the very best dog a family could ask...
Dear Justice League

0.0 (0)
Hello! Justice League here. Ask us anything! ...
Cracking the Bell

0.0 (0)
Friday Night Lights meets Concussion in this powerful and important...
Ghosts of Lock Tower

0.0 (0)
A haunted tower, an evil ghost, a monster spawned from...

Latest Member Reviews

Nemesis (Project Nemesis 1)

"Nemesis is a page-turning, thrilling puzzle that will grab the reader from the very beginning. Told in first-person from the..."
Anna and the French Kiss

"Anna's father decides he's going to send Anna to a international boarding school in Paris. It's her senior year and..."
Faithful

"Faithful is a story that combines history, romance, and a bit of mystery. Set in the summer of 1904 and..."
Stormbreaker (Alex Rider #1)

"The novel opens following the death of 14-year-old Alex Rider’s guardian and uncle Ian in a car accident. Alex becomes..."
Popular: How A Geek in Pearls Discovered the Secret to Confidence

"Most so-called memoirs can come off dry or not too interesting. POPULAR isn't that book. Rather it's an..."

N/A
""When the doorbell rings at three in the morning, it's never good news". Alex(main character) is a school boy, his..."

"Alex's adventures remind me of the Hardy Boys and how I felt when I read them for the first time..."
Demonosity

"Demons, magic, knight warriors, ancient book, "a powerful ancient force", good vs evil, and a teenager, Cassidy, in the middle..."
Sirens (Faithful #3)

"I am going to be going back and reading the first two for sure. Overall a good read, and..."
Twelfth Grade Kills

"Twelfth Grade Kills will be something I come back and read. Even though a lot of great people died I..."
Spirit Walk (Walk #1-2)

"One the best paranormal story I have read so far. I even wanted to call on sick at work so..."
Anna and the French Kiss

"I don't even know where to start. This book was amazingly sweet and wonderful. First of all it takes place..."
Anna and the French Kiss

N/A
"I really love Stephanies two books. She write amazing yet unique stories and wonderful characters."

"A mysterious thriller that takes place in top secret investigation. There was this kid named Alex Rider he lived..."
Anna and the French Kiss

"When i began to read Anna and the french kiss, i thought it would be lame and borring. But i..."
Salvation

"What I Loved: My very favorite thing about Salvation is the subject matter. As we readers know, YA fiction tends..."
Sirens (Faithful #3)

"What I Loved: The world building! Wow. From the very first word, the reader is completely drawn into the..."
Anna and the French Kiss

"Anna and the French Kiss has been hyped beyond belief in the book blogging community. Sometimes hype turns out to..."
Anna and the French Kiss

"I really love Stephanie Perkins. She knows just how to write amazing contemporary love stories that will leave you..."

"Okay, so, Alex is a normal fourteen year old. He goes to school, and does completely normal stuff. At least,..."