Review Detail

Remember Me Featured
Young Adult Fiction 638
romance, thriller, mystery, and historical fiction all in one
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

REMEMBER ME is an engaging mystery/thriller that goes back and forth through time. We follow Lea in the past when she stayed at the hotel and Nell in the present, as she lives there with her father now. Lea is engaged to Lon, whose family are titans in the steel industry. This is not a marriage of love, but of finances- her family has been hurting financially, and the marriage will help them recover financially. As she spends the summer with Lon, she likes him even less than she thought possible. As she gets to know a Runner for the hotel (a jack of all trades), named Alec, she finds herself feeling things she never expected.

In the present day, Nell has moved to the hotel with her father, where he will be working. She had a lot of trouble after her mother's death, which left echoes in both her and her father's lives. She wants to be a professional dancer. As she lives in the hotel, strange things start happening to her- doors locking, things being written in the mirror, music only she can hear, and horrifying dreams of a dead boy. As she sifts through the history of the hotel, she begins to learn of how it is all connected with the past- and with Lea.

Absolutely engrossing, the book comes together beautifully in a thrilleresque mystery. The history and present are equally entertaining, and the inclusion of both perspectives adds a lot to the overall air of the story. The beginning is perfectly paced, drawing you in to the story. I felt that the later parts were a bit rushed, but that added to the intensity of the plot. The romance that builds for Nell in the story was a little harder for me to believe and I would have liked more time to see it happen and connect. However, it certainly didn't stop me from hoping for the best and following it eagerly to the end.

Overall, this was a engaging read, and I think the descriptors of The Shining meets The Titanic are apt- this is a romance, thriller, mystery, and historical fiction all in one that will keep readers turning pages until the satisfying conclusion.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Elemental Manipulation is tricky. Only those with the power can...

0.0 (0)
When fifteen-year-old Marlee Stanley joins her two sisters and the...

0.0 (0)
They call me the Dark Queen… Ryleigh...

0.0 (0)
Two friends in the 1980's were graduating from Cosmetology School....
Twisting Minds

0.0 (0)
How can you trust your heart when you can't trust...
The Art of Holding On

0.0 (0)
Life happens, whether you’re ready or not. All you can...
Breaking Through: How Female Athletes Shattered Stereotypes in the Roaring Twenties

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author Sue Macy offers a fresh and timely account...
Outlawed

0.0 (0)
OUTLANDER meets Robin Hood. Traveling through time...
The Path We Take

0.0 (0)
He’s alone He’s tattooed He’s badly burnt ...
Half-Blood Mage

0.0 (0)
A cursed dragon hunter A half-blood mage...

0.0 (0)
If genetic engineering could guarantee you and your family perfect...
Slayer (Slayer, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into every generation a Slayer is born… ...

Latest Member Reviews

Grasping at Eternity (Kindrily #1)

"*A thousand thanks to All Night Reads for the free review copy via Netgalley* Reincarnation is an interesting idea..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"Asunder continues the story of Ana, a Newsoul, the first one born in thousands of years among the people of..."

"I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from Grasping at Eternity, but it’s easy to say that it exceeded any..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"5/5 Asunder broke my heart, mended it, then shattered it again. My heart's current state: pieced together in..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"Find this review and more at On The Shelf! Jodi Meadows writes some of my favorite book scenes and..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"Incarnate was hands down the most unique book I read last year. It had dragons, fantastical equivalents to iPhone's (the..."

"Grasping at Eternity was a difficult but engaging read. The thing with the book is, so many things happen that..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"Asunder was simply breathtaking. By the time I reached the final page I was immediately craving the sequel. Asunder took..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"I won an ARC copy of glorious book through Zach's YA Reviews. Winning this book for free has in no..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

" I couldn't decide between 3.5 and 4, so I went with four because of Sam and the ending. ..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"The whole concept and plot of this series is so very original. The premise of souls being reincarnated and then..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"Asunder is an amazing follow-up to the wonderful Incarnate! The world is easily my favorite thing about this series, as..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"Wow. This was so much better than the first book. The first book, for me, focused too much on the..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"Asunder is excellent! I had a bunch of expectations about the quality of the book, all of which were set..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"I loved and recommend this book:)"
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

" Wow. WOW. I just finished my ARC of Asunder and boy, was it good. I was lucky enough..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"So. Many. FEEEEEEEEEEEELS. First of all, Jodi Meadows has this fantastic way of making readers consider the morals of..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

"What I Loved: Basically everything. I really enjoyed Incarnate--lyrical prose, swoony romance, and an intriguing world--and was hoping for..."
Asunder (Newsoul #2)

JenJen
"Thank you YABC and Katherine Tegen Books for this ARC. *flails* I really enjoyed Incarnate (especially Sam) and was..."