Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1261
engrossing thriller/suspense
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

EVERY STOLEN BREATH is an engrossing read that follows Lia as she attempts to uncover her father's killers. Every so often, Chicago is hit by the Swarm, a large group of teenagers who attack a person, seemingly at random, by surrounding and beating them to death. As it is such a large group, there is not much that can be done to stop them, and witnesses are few and sometimes killed. The attacks seemed random until Lia's father was the victim two years ago. Her father was investigating the Swarm and was about to convict someone he thought was behind it.

After her father's death, no one has been able to make the connections and piece together who is really behind the Swarm. Lia is obsessed with figuring it out- despite her asthma and PTSD. However, her determination has led her to where she thinks she may know where the next attack will be. She has contacted the police, but what they really need is evidence, and Lia is determined to get it for them, by recording where she believes will be their next attack.

However, the close encounter only escalates the danger for her- and leaves her without the evidence she needs. Unable to drop her search for justice, the clock is ticking until the Swarm chooses her as its next victim or she exposes whoever is behind it.

What I loved: The plot of this book was really interesting with chasing down clues, and the ways that Lia navigates this world make it really engrossing (big whodunnit mystery, plus the thriller aspects of potential targeting). She is lucky to be aided by others in her journey, and the information about cyber security seemed really well researched. The representation of Lia's PTSD was really strong, and bringing attention to mental illness is helpful- especially here, where Lia's mother is getting her help to treat it.

What left me wanting more: As a minor point, there are some sections of the book that seemed to drag a little (in the middle, when not too much happens), and I would have liked to keep up the fast pacing going throughout. Overall, it kept the thriller/mystery plot line going strong throughout.

I would add warnings for major character death, murder, and assault, as well as a minor warning for a not-completely-wrapped up ending. The big things are taken care of, but I wonder if there might be a sequel in the works...

Final verdict: Original, engrossing, and full of suspense, EVERY STOLEN BREATH is an intense YA thriller/mystery and page-turner. I would highly recommend for people who enjoy procedurals/thrillers and a tenacious heroine.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Fifteen-year-old JL Markham's life used to be filled with carnival...
The Lost Legends

0.0 (0)
All her life, Princess Adalina heard tales of the legendary,...

0.0 (0)
In a series of interwoven fictionalized stories, Deborah Noyes gives...
In the Hall with the Knife

0.0 (0)
A murderer could be around every corner in this thrilling...
Birthday

0.0 (0)
Boyhood meets The Sun Is Also a Star in this...
A Betrayal Exposed (Not Every Girl Book 3)

0.0 (0)
Olivia Davenport’s life is finally going smoothly, until if falls...
Finding Mr. Better-Than-You

0.0 (0)
A heartbroken teen, with the help of her best friends,...
Freaky in Fresno

0.0 (0)
Influencers. Movie nerds. Beauty queens. And one pink convertible. Have...

0.0 (0)
Death marked her from her very first breath. ...
Only Mostly Devastated

0.0 (0)
Will Tavares is the dream summer fling―he's fun, affectionate, kind―but...

0.0 (0)
Defending everything they know could cost them everything they...

0.0 (0)
They wanted a chance; they were given a choice: ...

Latest Member Reviews

"JACK KEROUAC IS DEAD TO ME is Gae Polisner’s most recent YA Contemporary novel. Like in her other books, she..."
Woven in Moonlight

"Woven in Moonlight is a beautiful and lush fantasy, based on the culture and history of Bolivia. It is set..."

"WE ARE ALL HIS CREATURES by Deborah Noyes is a series of eleven short stories about the beloved showman, P.T...."
Jane Anonymous: A Novel

"JANE ANONYMOUS follows two timelines: one while Jane was captured for 7 months and one after she is back home...."
Finding Mr. Better-Than-You

"FINDING MR. BETTER-THAN-YOU starts off like a cheesy romantic comedy, but ends up being a lot more fulfilling light-hearted YA..."
Freaky in Fresno

"FREAKY IN FRESNO is a spin on the old novel, FREAKY FRIDAY. Ricki (nickname for Lyric) had a falling out..."
Only Mostly Devastated

"ONLY MOSTLY DEVASTATED is a charming YA contemporary romance that follows Ollie. Ollie had lived in California, until this year..."
Neffatira's First Challenge

"The descriptions are very beautiful and you can perceive the feelings of the characters to the point of empathy. ..."
Ink in the Blood (Ink in the Blood Duology #1)

"INK IN THE BLOOD is an engaging and atmospheric YA fantasy. Celia Sand was delighted when she was chosen to..."
What I Want You to See

"WHAT I WANT YOU TO SEE is an interesting book that discusses homelessness, choices and their intersection with privilege, as..."
The 47 People You'll Meet in Middle School

"'The 47 People You'll Meet in Middle School' by Kristin Mahoney is an endearing look at an often hard time..."

"The insatiable oasis will hunt down the thieves of this book and tear them apart, limb by limb, devouring their..."