Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1107
Stranger Things Addict
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Darkness on the Edge of Town is a fascinating glimpse into Hopper's past. Being a big fan of Hopper since the start of Stranger Things, I was incredibly excited to pick this one up. Fans of the show know that he's no longer married and his daughter died. The Duffer brothers haven't really given viewers much insight into his life before the events of Stranger Things. While this book doesn't address his family tragedies hinted to in the series, it does offer a look at his devotion to his family and part of his journey to being involved in law enforcement.

What I liked: This is the start of a dive into Hopper as a character. This novel isn't meant to provide clues to Season 3 (which is a good thing), but instead provides some insight on what made Hopper the man we see in Season 1. We get to see Hopper as a true family man with his wife and daughter, a man on the hunt for the truth. The angsty Eleven from season 2 is not seen here which I think is okay. Eleven doesn't have to be angsty all the time and her curiosity about Hopper's past seems genuine and realistic to her character.

Darkness at the Edge of Town is a fantastic addition to the growing series of Stranger Things novels. This one is more grounded in reality compared to Suspicious Minds but still stays true to the Stranger Things vibe. The character of James Hopper is well-written and feels true to a character arc for this fan favorite. The story is a fast and enjoyable read. This can be perfect to read before you finish the latest season or perfect way to feed that Stanger Things "craving" once you are done binging.
Good Points
Get backstory
Detective/Mystery Story
Hopper
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of Sarah J. Maas and Red Queen,...

0.0 (0)
The world is brimming full of incredible inventions - but...
Sisters of Shadow and Light

0.0 (0)
The night my sister was born, the stars died and...

0.0 (0)
He thinks she's shallow, she thinks he's a nerd. What...
Pete the Cat and the Perfect Pizza Party

0.0 (0)
A groovy New York Times bestseller! ...
Seneca Element (The Seneca Society Book 2)

0.0 (0)
If you knew that creating singularity between your mind...
Our Year of Love and Parties

0.0 (0)
In this poignant, funny, and romantic novel, four nights...
Strayborn

0.0 (0)
Elemental Manipulation is tricky. Only those with the power can...
The Path Divided

0.0 (0)
Every choice has a consequence. When a magical picture...

0.0 (0)
When fifteen-year-old Marlee Stanley joins her two sisters and the...
Shadowscent

0.0 (0)
An Ember in the Ashes meets Indiana Jones in...
Reverie

0.0 (0)
Inception meets The Magicians, except with better wigs and...
Dark Saints Academy: The Soul Catcher

0.0 (0)
They call me the Dark Queen… Ryleigh...
Scarred

0.0 (0)
Life leaves you scarred. Love can make you beautiful....

0.0 (0)
Two friends in the 1980's were graduating from Cosmetology School....
Twisting Minds

0.0 (0)
How can you trust your heart when you can't trust...

Latest Member Reviews

Holes

"Important message. Unique perspective."
Bud, Not Buddy

"Bud not Buddy is awesome! im in year 9 and im reading it in school for an assignment. On the..."
Holes

"A family curse, a false accusation, a local legend, and a series of coincidences come together in this generation-spanning tale..."
Before I Fall

"Love this book! One of my favorites."
Speak

"It's a fast read."

""Pretties" is a continuation of the Uglies series where Tally Youngblood has now returned to the city and become a..."
The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles #1)

""The Adoration of Jenna Fox" is the story of a teenager who wakes up from a coma without any memories..."
It's Kind of a Funny Story

"A mature contemporary YA, set in New York City. The story is told in first-person present-tense, exclusively from the perspective..."
Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack #1)

"This first-person present-tense piece of historical YA fiction begins a bit like a Charles Dicken’s work—eighteenth-century London, poor destitute orphan,..."
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1)

"This one took a while to get into. I didn't warm much to Grace. She didn't seem to have much..."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Definitely the reason why I decided to reread this was because of the show. and now that I finished reading..."
Thirteen Reasons Why

"Thirteen Reasons Why (stylised as Th1rteen R3eason Why) follows shy high school teenager Clay Jensen. Clay has received a..."