Review Detail

The Memory Thief FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 4321
engrossing and thought-provoking YA fantasy
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE MEMORY THIEF is an engrossing YA fantasy that will keep you turning pages late into the night. Etta lives in a world where memories can be bartered. Certain people, called Gifted, have the ability to take memories and gift them to someone else. In this way, you can lose painful memories, gain new skills through memories of training, gain happy memories, etc. The world is divided into four main realms, each controlled by a Sifter, a special type of Gifted that is the most powerful and effective at removing memories and giving to someone else through sight alone (whereas most Gifted need to use touch). Variants of Gifted result in various other abilities related to moving memories around.

Ungifted people also live throughout the realms in menial tasks and are often exploited by the Gifted. The realms take Gifted people from poor families to add to their armies of Minders. The Shadows are a group leading a rebellion against the realms- particularly Craewick, which is ruled by the cruel Madame. Etta bartered with the Madame years ago to have her mother (now in a coma) taken care of in the Asylum, which is filled with people whose minds have been damaged due to memory transactions. Etta paid a big price to have her mother taken care of there and is hopeful that she will awake. She also has the Gift, but she is marked as Ungifted at her request in part of her bargain with the Madame.

Now, the Madame is threatening her mother, and Etta must turn to the group she had betrayed- the Shadows- to try to save her. As she embarks on a journey, this fast-paced book takes a lot of unexpected twists and turns to a highly satisfying ending.

What I loved: The premise is so unique, and the world building was really well done. While we don't get to explore all the realms, they were easy to imagine, and it was interesting to see the ethics/possibilities for such a society in which memories can be bartered. The implications and discussions about this raise a lot of interesting questions that can be considered even after reaching the end of the book (for instance, if our memories define us, what happens when others possess them? also about exploitation of poverty and the value of holding good and bad memories).

In terms of the characters, I loved the main characters (particularly Etta, Reid, and Ryder) and the presentation of people as not always good vs. bad. The romance was very well built, and we get a lot of character development as they connect and grow as individuals and a couple. I was fully on-board with them as a couple (no insta-love there).

What left me wanting more: I only wish the book was longer, as I would love to continue to explore this world and characters more! However, while it does move fast, it is not rushed.

Final verdict: A thought-provoking and unique YA fantasy, THE MEMORY THIEF is a engrossing and lovely story. Twists and turns keep the reader guessing as they follow Etta on her physical and mental journey. Highly recommend for people who like fantasy/dystopian books like MATCHED, THE SELECTION, BEWARE THE NIGHT, or UNDER THE NEVER SKY.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Project

0.0 (0)
Lo Denham is used to being on her own. After...
Kingdom of Ink and Paper (The Betwixt and Between Chronicles Book 1)

0.0 (0)
Every book you’ve ever read. Every story you’ve ever ...
The First Holidays

0.0 (0)
Lila Weston is a pro at keeping secrets, but this...
Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)

0.0 (0)
In this riveting, keenly emotional debut fantasy, a Black teen...
You Say It First

0.0 (0)
One conversation can change everything. Meg has her entire...
My High School Royal Boyfriend

0.0 (0)
ALEX A tragedy at Langley Estate puts my family...
The Forgotten World (The World Apart Series Book 3)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Clark thought he knew what grief was. Addie thought...
Tales from the Hinterland

0.0 (0)
A gorgeously illustrated collection of twelve “lush and deliciously...
Sisters of Shadow and Light

0.0 (0)
From the acclaimed author of Defy, Sara B. Larson,...
In the Penalty Box

0.0 (0)
Willow Figure skating was supposed to be my whole...
Unchosen

0.0 (0)
Katharyn Blair crafts a fiercely feminist fantasy with a horrifying...
Miracle Girl

0.0 (0)
Leanne Strong hates June eighth even though it's supposed to...
The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Rosie Singer’s mom is missing whatever it is that...
Singled Out: The True Story of Glenn Burke

0.0 (0)
On October 2nd, 1977, Glenn Burke, outfielder for the Los...
The Elephant in the Room

0.0 (0)
It's been almost a year since Sila's mother traveled halfway...
Alone in the Woods

0.0 (0)
Jocelyn and Alex have always been best friends...until they aren't....

Latest Member Reviews

The Memory Thief  (Thirteen Witches #1)

"Rosie has always taken care of herself and her mother in their house overlooking the coast of Maine. Her mother..."
The Elephant in the Room

"Sila's family has been happy in Oregon, even though her father, who is a mechanical engineer, has to work as..."
Alone in the Woods

"Jocelyn always looks forward to the vacation in a cabin that she and her friend Alex's family take every year...."
Disaster Days

"Hannah doesn't understand why her parents are SO overprotective, even though she occasionally has a hard time dealing with her..."
We Dream of Space

"Bird, her twin brother Fitch, and their older brother Chase are all doing the best they can in 1986 Park,..."
Wild River

"Daniel isn't all that sure why he was chosen to go on an outdoor experience trip with four other students..."
Charlie Thorne and the Lost City (Charlie Thorne #2)

"After her adventures in Charlie Thorne and the Last Equation, Charlie is hiding out in the Galapagos Islands in Ecuador,..."
Amari and the Night Brothers

"Amari has struggled in the private school she attends on scholarship because the other students are mean to her, and..."
Allergic

"Maggie has always wanted a dog. Her younger brothers Liam and Noah have each other, and her parents are expecting..."
I Dream of Popo

"I DREAM OF POPO is a beautiful book about immigration, family, and culture. A young girl loves spending time with..."
The Copycat

"Ali Sloane is tired of moving. She's changed schools and houses/apartments so many times that she can't claim any one..."
Confessions of a Class Clown

"Jack Reynolds is the sort of kid that teachers put in the back of the classroom-- surrounded by all of..."