Review Detail

Girl Gone Viral Featured
Young Adult Fiction 299
Captured the reality of modern social media craze
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Girl Gone Viral was pitched for Warcross and Black Mirror fans. Now I haven’t read Warcross yet, but I’ve seen most of Black Mirror episodes, enough to draw me into this book. Arvin Ahmadi is more like a household name to bookworms now, especially with Penguin Teen’s antics to drag him online. Plus, we loved Arvin’s debut novel, Down and Across!

I haven’t read a YA sci-fi in a very very long time (two years), for some reason, I just fell out of love. So when I heard about this book, I figured why not try again? And I did, and it didn’t disappoint at all! I went into this book without really expecting anything, mostly hoping to spark my interest for sci-fi again.

Girl Gone Viral centers on Opal Hopper, a 17 year old whiz kid. With her father disappearing on her tenth birthday, Opal has a chance to find out the truth as she enters a contest through WAVE, the worlds biggest reality platform.

This book is set in the near-future, which is easier to digest because there were still pop culture references that are relevant today such as mentions of Jimmy Fallon and Dear Evan Hansen. Ahmadi’s world-building doesn’t really stray far from the present times, which I enjoyed as someone who’s sort of walking on eggshells with the genre.

I love how the main character, Opal, was written really well and fleshed out. Although, I didn’t really relate to her on a personal level. The supporting characters had a fair share of the craft as well, three-dimensional and with amazing dynamics.

The book also tackles grief, personal relationships, and even morality. These topics were totally the gamechanger for me as regards to this book. I can’t really go into detail because I’m afraid to spoil things, but this was truly a satisfying read.

Overall, Girl Gone Viral captured the reality of the social media craze and fast technological advancements that, if I may say so, we’re having right now. That really hit the Black Mirror spot for me.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Dog and Rabbit

0.0 (0)
A funny, sweet story of unrequited friendship from the creator...

0.0 (0)
Lena and Campbell aren't friends. ...

0.0 (0)
The youngest doctor in America, an Indian-American teen makes her...
Prophecy Untold (Shadow Realms book 3)

0.0 (0)
Finding out my mother was taken by the demons was...
Sick Kids in Love

0.0 (0)
Isabel has one rule: no dating. It’s easier―...
Pawns (The Wielders of Arantha)

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Seven hundred years in the future, a powerful alien...
Perfectly Oblivious

0.0 (0)
Cameron Bates (Cam) could have almost any girl at...
By Any Means Necessary

0.0 (0)
Heart-wrenchingly honest, fans of Brandy Colbert and Nicola Yoon...
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

4.3 (1)
Annie and Lee were just children when a brutal...
Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into the Crooked Place begins a gritty two-book YA...
The Rift

0.0 (0)
As corporate greed is pitted against supernatural forces, two...
The Light at the Bottom of the World (The Light at the Bottom of the World, #1)

0.0 (0)
In the last days of the twenty-first century, sea creatures...
Conceal, Don't Feel (Twisted Tales, #7)

0.0 (0)
What if Anna and Elsa never knew each other? ...

0.0 (0)
Bestselling Divergent and Carve the Mark author Veronica Roth delivers...
Bernard Pepperlin

0.0 (0)
The drowsy Dormouse from Lewis Carroll’s Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland...
Vicarious

0.0 (0)
Paula Stokes weaves together a series of mysteries and the...

Latest Member Reviews

"I started out reading an ARC of Symptoms of a Heartbreak, but then I switched to reading a hardcover in..."
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

"I’m going to start out this post by letting it be known by all and sundry that I was provided..."
Sick Kids in Love

"SICK KIDS IN LOVE is a beautiful story about love- as well as invisible illness/disability AND NOBODY DIES! (I do..."
The Light at the Bottom of the World (The Light at the Bottom of the World, #1)

"THE LIGHT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WORLD is a compelling and atmospheric YA fantasy/science fiction. In the future, the..."
Conceal, Don't Feel (Twisted Tales, #7)

"If you adored FROZEN, you need to get your hands on this Twisted Tale which reimagines the story if Anna..."

"THE END AND OTHER BEGINNINGS is the latest from DIVERGENT author, Veronica Roth. The novel is comprised of six YA..."
The Bookworm Crush

"THE BOOKWORM CRUSH is an absolutely charming romantic comedy with all sorts of booklover homages. Amy McIntyre is @redheadrecs and..."
Scared Little Rabbits

"SCARED LITTLE RABBITS follows Nora (aka Eleanor, Lowercase) as she sets out on a summer camp adventure that resulted in..."
A Constellation of Roses

"A CONSTELLATION OF ROSES is a beautiful story of familial love and healing. Trix has been trying to make her..."
Frankly in Love

"FRANKLY IN LOVE is a surprisingly deep and heartfelt read. Although it is described as a rom-com, this is not..."
American Royals

"What if at the end of America’s Revolutionary War, George Washington was offered a crown and what if he said..."
Take the Mic: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance

"This is the type of book I’d like to see included in school curriculums. The stories are like wide open..."