Review Detail

10 Blind Dates Featured
Young Adult Fiction 964
adorable Christmasy romantic comedy
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

10 BLIND DATES is the must-read romantic comedy of the fall! Sophie is staying with her grandparents and her very large family over the Christmas holidays, while her parents head down to stay with her pregnant older sister Margot, who is on bed rest from preeclampsia. Sophie is particularly excited to spend some time with her boyfriend, Griffin, who she thinks maybe she is ready to take the next step with, but she’s not sure if she loves him. All of that changes when she overhears him talking about considering a breakup with her. She breaks things off and leaves.

Upset, Sophie travels to her grandparents, and her grandmother (nonna) is a valuable listener. However, the next day, the whole family knows and her nonna has an idea. Over the holiday, 10 people will set her up on 10 different blind dates. As Sophie reluctantly goes on the dates, she realizes how much she loves (most of) her family, how much she values her friends (cousins and neighbor), and what she wants out of the future/relationships.

What I loved: Sophie and her whole family are unbelievably charming. I adored her nonna, her aunts/uncles, and her cousins. With all that family support and mostly family love (minus a few troublemakers), Sophie is sure to succeed. While the romance was cute, the comedic parts of the book were incredible! Readers will laugh along with the family antics and turn pages quickly with a huge smile. This was a one-sit read for me simply because I couldn’t put it down! With cute Christmas themes, this book is perfect for the holidays.

What left me wanting more: While I overall loved the book, I was a little concerned about the portrayal of sexual harassment as a comedic point (from one date, who was very handsy and kept touching her bum against her wishes). While eventually her threats get across, I do not like to see any kind of sexual harassment used as comedy- unwanted touching is not funny (even if he’s younger, etc.). I would have liked to see this shut-down more firmly and reaffirmed by other characters as inappropriate, rather than just a joke.

Final verdict: Cute, clever, and funny, 10 BLIND DATES is the Christmasy romantic comedy you’ve been looking for! Great for fans of MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING, this large and adorable family will charm the reader to the very last page.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account