Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 856
gorgeous, lyrical, and incredible epic fantasy
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

SPIN THE DAWN is an unbelievably fantastic read with some elements of a high-stakes PROJECT RUNWAY, some elements of FLAME IN THE MIST, and a whole new adventure, romance, and captivating plot. Maia is the only daughter of a tailor in a kingdom where women are wives and men can have trades. Her three older brothers have talents that have nothing to do with the tailoring trade, and so, it is unfortunate that Maia is the one with the skills, but born female.

The kingdom is at war, and her brothers must go fight. Maia is left alone with her father, as her mother died when she was young. As her father is ailing, he cannot work and thus, they would starve. Maia instead takes on the work, running the shop and doing the tailoring. The war is barely ended with peace won by the emperor agreeing to marry the daughter of his rival. When the imperial tailor dies, Maia’s father is called to the imperial city to work for the emperor, based on some work Maia had done with her skill. Instead, Maia poses as her brother, Keton, and travels in his stead.

Once she arrives, she enters a contest with eleven other men who will compete at difficult tasks to become the imperial tailor. The competition is high stakes with short time allotments and increasingly strange requests (much like PROJECT RUNWAY)- as well as competitors who are willing to sabotage and maybe even murder to win. Reluctantly aided by the scissors gifted to her from her father and the imperial enchanter, Edan, Maia is eager to prove herself and her skills to win the competition.

However, her trials are soon to become even more difficult when the bride-to-be requests dresses of legend that would require Maia to undergo impossible tasks and face incredible odds to create them- but the alternative is too terrible to imagine.

What I loved: The world and character building in the book are incredible. Maia leaps off the page, as do the many other characters that appear- her family and the people at the imperial court- they are all so beautifully crafted that they are easy to imagine. With lyrical prose, this world blooms before our eyes as Maia must compete and then accomplish the impossible.

With the addition of a forbidden romance, this book completely enchanted me from start to finish. I loved it at the expense of sleep, and I have absolutely no regrets. With feminism, adventure, danger, and sacrifice, this book is simply gorgeous. The plot is unbelievably engrossing, and the writing style is simply perfect. Information is revealed in a seamless way to keep the reader engaged without bogging down any part of the story with details. With magic, myths, and romance, this book is other-worldly amazing.

Final verdict: Fans of Sarah J. Maas, Renee Ahdieh, Rae Carson, and Sabaa Tahir will revel in this incredible new YA fantasy. I highly recommend for anyone of any age looking for an extraordinary read. This book builds a new world and characters who quickly intrigued me and became close to my heart- readers will not regret picking up this gorgeously lyrical and lush YA fantasy/adventure!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Sorcery of Thorns

0.0 (0)
All sorcerers are evil. Elisabeth has known that as long...
The Babysitters Coven

0.0 (0)
Adventures in Babysitting meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer in...
Loki: Where Mischief Lies

0.0 (0)
This is the first of three young adult novels from...
Who Put This Song On?

0.0 (0)
Trapped in sunny, stifling, small-town suburbia, seventeen-year-old Morgan knows why...
His Hideous Heart

0.0 (0)
Thirteen of YA’s most celebrated names reimagine Edgar Allan Poe’s...
Tweet Cute

0.0 (0)
Meet Pepper, swim team captain, chronic overachiever, and all-around perfectionist....
Imperfect: A Story of Body Image

0.0 (0)
Dounya, a Muslim girl living in Las Vegas, Nevada, shares...
Throw Like a Girl

0.0 (0)
Friday Night Lights meets Morgan Matson's The Unexpected Everything in...
The Boy Next Story

0.0 (0)
There’s no one better than the boy next door. At...
Darkblood Academy

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Darkblood—oops, I mean Darkhen Academy. There are...

0.0 (0)
Veronica sees ghosts―more specifically, her mother’s ghost. The afterimages of...
Travels with Sushi in the Land of the Mind

0.0 (0)
Aaron and Stella spend every summer at their grandparents’ house,...
The C Word

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
Addison: Secrets have a way of getting out. And...
Welcome to Chanu-Con!

0.0 (0)
Join Max and his sister Lila as they navigate their...
The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)

0.0 (0)
Princess Guinevere has come to Camelot to wed a...
Pax Novis (The Pax Archives, #1)

0.0 (0)
Cira Antares is deeply loyal to two things: Pax...

Latest Member Reviews

Dog and Rabbit

"DOG AND RABBIT is a charming tale of friendship. Told in four parts, the book introduces Dog and then Rabbit...."
Twins

"TWINS is an adorably charming picture book that celebrates close friends, siblings, and twins (whether identical or not). A boy..."
Kai and the Monkey King (Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #3)

"KAI AND THE MONKEY KING is an engaging and thrilling installment in the Brownstone's Mythical Collection series. In this book,..."
A Warm Friendship

"A WARM FRIENDSHIP is a story of friendship and loss, celebrating the time that you have together. Squirrel finds Snowman..."
The Halloween Tree

"Be prepared to start a new holiday tradition with THE HALLOWEEN TREE. On the Christmas tree lot, there is one..."
Imagine

"IMAGINE is a gorgeous autobiographical poem with accompanying artwork and an inspirational tone. Herrera was the U.S Poet Laureate and..."
Isle of You

"ISLE OF YOU is a beautiful picture book that contains words of encouragement and coping mechanisms for dealing with difficult..."
Dasher: How a Brave Little Doe Changed Christmas Forever

"DASHER is a beautiful and elegant Christmas story that introduces the reindeer before Rudolph. Dasher lives with her family in..."
A Very Pikmi Halloween (Pikmi Pops)

"Celebrate Halloween with the Pikmi Pops in this cute story about friendship. Wubbs the Bat and Vampy the Bat are..."
Small World

"SMALL WORLD is a gorgeous celebration of growing up and following your dreams. When Nanda was born, her world was..."
On the First Day of Summer Vacation

"ON THE FIRST DAY OF SUMMER VACATION uses the tune of The 12 Days of Christmas to present the fun..."
My Funny Bunny

"MY FUNNY BUNNY is about dealing with disappointments and not judging others too quickly. It's the main character's sixth birthday,..."
A Parade of Elephants

"Five elephants march along the pages of Kevin Henkes's picture book, A PARADE OF ELEPHANTS. As they make their way..."
The Rough Patch

"In THE ROUGH PATCH, Evan's best friend is his dog, and they do everything together. Author and illustrator Brian Lies..."
Sunny's Tow Truck Saves the Day!

"SUNNY'S TOW TRUCK SAVES THE DAY! is a delightful picture book about a family on their way to picnic who..."
Wintercake

"WINTERCAKE is a lovely picture book that celebrates friendship and the holiday spirit. Thomas is about to make a wintercake..."
Roar Like a Dandelion

"A unique alphabet book, ROAR LIKE A DANDELION is filled with instructional that are sure to spark some giggles. Each..."
The Bear and the Star

"THE BEAR AND THE STAR is an elegant, Christmas-style book. Bear knows that it is time and so he finds..."
I Do Not Like That Name

"I DO NOT LIKE THAT NAME features a girl, Sophie, and her rabbit, Herb, as they order an elephant from..."
The Love Letter

"Lovely, endearing, and heartfelt, THE LOVE LETTER demonstrates the power of telling someone how much you care. Hedgehog, Bunny, and..."