The Grace Year Featured
Young Adult Fiction 3029
The Grace Year
(Updated: May 14, 2019)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

What worked: Just wowza. This is one intense, haunting tale of girls that are banished on their sixteenth year to release their 'magic' into the wild before they can come back home. The villagers 'fear' the girl's magic and set them out into the wilderness. Even though no one can speak of the 'grace year', rumors circulate about what happens to the girls who don't come back. Plus, there are the very real horrors of poachers who capture and skin the girls for their 'magic'.

Tierney James kind of reminded me a little of Katniss in The Hunger Games. She's strong-willed, not afraid of questioning the reasons behind the grace year and even shuns the whole idea of getting a veil right before going out into the wilderness. During that ceremony the girl's 'future' husband gives her the veil. Her and her best friend Michael stumble on what happens to those girls who don't come back at his father's apothecary shop. There are pieces of the missing girls in glass bottles. Villagers purchase them, thinking they're a youth portion. This haunts Tierney.

The scenes in the wilderness are filled with almost a psychedelic horror. Tierney watches as some of the other girls feel that they are coming into their hidden powers. She doesn't know what is real or if she's going mad. Then there is mean girl Kiersten, who blames Tierney for taking away something from her during the veiling ceremony. It's up to Tierney to try to survive through the year. Kiersten makes that task almost impossible and tries to turn the other girls against her.

Tierney fears of being captured and skinned alive almost come true. What happens is she finds that the rumors on the poachers are complicated. Not all is what it seems. In fact, those who she felt were friends could turn quickly. Especially when the idea of being super powerful and having a super power is very seductive. This is the only time the girls are by themselves and don't have to follow the rules of the males in the village. Some of the girls succumb to that allure and others end up going mad.

There's a forbidden love angle that is bittersweet. Tierney wants to follow her heart, but knows if she does her younger sister will be cast outside. Her struggle to either follow her heart or help the other girls is one that she battles with throughout the novel.

Handmaid's Tale meets Lord of the Flies in this thought-provoking tale where the idea of magic is tempered with the will to survive. This story is one that will keep readers on the edge of their seat on what will happen to Tierney when she's banished with the other girls during the grace year. There's also shown the power of rallying together and standing up to injustices against women. Powerful, insightful, and a story that is guaranteed to stay with readers long after they finish the last page.
Good Points
1. The Handmaid's Tale meets Lord of the Flies
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Glass Queen (The Forest of Good and Evil, #2)

0.0 (0)
Once Upon a Time meets Game of Thrones in book...
Meanwhile

0.0 (0)
Celebrate 10 years of this completely original graphic novel take...
Grant Beagan: The Finder's Code

0.0 (0)
He’s just an ordinary teenager who likes astronomy, video games,...
Fisher- Price Fun in the Jungle: Explore, Touch, and Feel

0.0 (0)
Children will love exploring the different textures in this playful...
Glitter Globes: The Night Before Christmas

0.0 (0)
On the night before Christmas, all over the house, not...
Belinda Fellgate: HellCat

0.0 (0)
A contemporary teen fantasy about an inept 14-year-old girl who...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling author...
Music for Tigers

0.0 (0)
Shipped halfway around the world to spend the summer...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. ...
Kingdom of Ice and Bone (The Frozen Sun Saga, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lira and Reyker have lost everything. Including each other....
Sword of the Seven Sins

0.0 (0)
Eva Marteinn never wanted to be a killer. Raised...
Things That Should Stay Buried

0.0 (0)
Some destinies are written in the stars. Others must...
How It All Blew Up

0.0 (0)
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda goes to Italy...
Horrid

0.0 (0)
From the author of You Must Not Miss comes...
Tsalix Silverthorn and the Scepter of Destiny

0.0 (0)
The latest phenomenal work from New York Times Bestselling author...
The Adventures of Bubba Jones (#4): Time Traveling Through Grand Canyon National Park

0.0 (0)
In the fourth book of this award-winning national park series,...

Latest Member Reviews

Goldilocks For Dinner

"What I loved: The illustrations in this book are unique and eye catching, engaging the children from the outset. The..."
All-of-a-Kind Family Hanukkah

"It's Hanukkah on New York's Lower East Side in 1912. Young Gertie, who is four, is very excited about all..."
Fatal Throne: The Wives of Henry VIII Tell All

"“Fatal Throne” chronicles the six wives of England’s King Henry VIII. Each queen had a part narrating in first person..."
Fatal Throne: The Wives of Henry VIII Tell All

"This is a collection of short stories told from the point of view of the wives of King Henry VIII...."
This is My Dollhouse

"A young girl has a lot of fun constructing a dollhouse out of cardboard, and cobbling together the family and..."
You Never Heard of Casey Stengel?!

N/A
"In this lengthy picture book, the life and times of the inimitable Stengel is given complete coverage. From his less..."
Rosie Goes to Preschool

"Our family are big fans of Karen Katz so I jumped at the chance to review her latest book. It..."
Rufus the Writer

"Rufus doesn’t want to have a typical lemonade stand. Instead, he’s decided to make a story stand, giving out stories..."
Deep in the Sahara

"I truly enjoyed this book, not just because of the lovely illustrations, depicting the colorful and mysterious ways women in..."
Dream Dog

"DREAM DOG is the story of a little boy named Harry who desperately wants a dog. Harry cannot have a..."
Sparky!

""Sparky is a sloth. A pet sloth. And sloths don't know how to fetch. Or roll over. But they sure..."
The Girl Who Wouldn't Brush Her Hair

"This warm, captivating tale will capture the hearts of young readers. My preschooler was fully engaged in the story, though..."
Alvin Ho: Allergic to Babies, Burglars, and Other Bumps in the Night

"I was first introduced to Alvin Ho when it was a nominated Cybils book. I totally loved him! So..."
Bluebird

"There are so many lessons to be learned in the pages of Bluebird from bullying, loneliness, dealing with loss and..."
The Mighty Lalouche

"The story of a postman-turned-boxer in turn of the century Paris is brought beautifully to life with gorgeous illustrations that..."
Want to Be in a Band?

"I have been surprised by how much my little girls love this book! Written in a form directly addressing the..."
The Longest Night: A Passover Story

"Ever since I first learned of the story of the Passover (much later than most--at age 19!) I have been..."
Duck & Goose: Goose Needs a Hug

"We actually own a few other 'Duck & Goose' books in my home, so this book was welcomed with great..."
Lemonade in Winter

"This book is so adorable. Siblings Pauline and John-John decide to have a lemonade stand during a snow blizzard...."
Annie and Helen

"Within a few minutes of starting this book, I was in tears. Remembering the inspiring story of Helen Keller I..."