Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1728
exciting and engrossing new YA fantasy
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE STORM CROW is an engrossing and imaginative YA fantasy. Anthia (Thia) is a princess of Rhodaire and eagerly awaits when she will be able to bond with a Crow. Rhodaire is a unique kingdom for its magical Crows, who have abilities that can be used to make the kingdom more livable and also protect it, making it a formidable enemy. One of the other kingdoms, Illucia, has been conquering kingdoms, but the crows have prevented them from doing the same to Rhodaire- until they burn all the rookeries and destroy the Crow eggs, also killing Thia’s mother, the Queen.

As Thia’s sister takes over Rhodaire, she is also facing the imminent threat of invasion and takeover by Illucia. To prevent their attack, Thia must wed the crown prince of Illucia, Ericen. However, she is not sure what awaits her as she travels with him into enemy territory. She is also carrying a secret, a Crow egg which she recovered from the rubble, and a plan for allying with the other kingdoms against Illucia. Accompanied by her BFF and guard, Kiva, their journey is just beginning.

What I loved: There are so many things to love about this book- the premise is so unique, the world-building is perfect, and the pacing is fantastic. There is also great diversity amongst the main characters in terms of LGBT representation and skin color, which varies between the kingdoms. Another strong secondary theme is about Thia’s depression, which is well described and paints a vivid portrait of the difficulty of living with it. There is also mental illness representation for PTSD in places (for two characters). While the kingdoms don’t have therapists, there is an acknowledgement for the difficulty of such illnesses and depression is named.

In terms of the plot, it flows really well, and builds up until the end, leaving us eagerly awaiting the sequel. The Crows are really interesting with different types having different abilities. The villain (Queen of Illucia) is evil- but also understandable from a certain vantage point, making her multidimensional. I also really love how many of the kingdoms have female rulers. There are some mysteries, and people have unexpected roles in later parts of the book. The information we get about other kingdoms is quite intriguing, and I am curious to learn more in the next book. Be prepared to get completely pulled into this story!

Final verdict: I highly recommend this exciting page-turner to all lovers of YA fantasy. I only wish the next book was already out! Thia, Ericen, and other secondary characters grew very close to my heart, and I can’t wait to get back into their well-crafted world. Fans of ERAGON, THE RED QUEEN, and GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS will enjoy this delicious new story.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Take Me Home: Forests of the World

0.0 (0)
Bite-sized facts about forests from around the globe, pointing out...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to the...
All Kinds of Other

0.0 (0)
In this tender, nuanced coming-of-age love story, two boys—one who...
Reign of Secrets

0.0 (0)
At the Midnight Ball, leave your inhibitions at the...
The Forest of Stolen Girls

0.0 (0)
1426, Joseon (Korea). Hwani's family has never been the...
Go the Distance

0.0 (0)
What if Meg had to become a god? After...
In Deeper Waters

0.0 (0)
A young prince must rely on a mysterious stranger...
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

0.0 (0)
When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates...
Take Me Home: Waters of the World

0.0 (0)
Bite-sized facts about bodies of water from around the globe,...
This Is My America

0.0 (0)
The Hate U Give meets Just Mercy in this unflinching...
Colors in Nature

0.0 (0)
Magnificent, hand-painted illustrations by a rising star of Czech watercolor...
Welcome to Arizona

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Arizona! We're glad you're here! Introducing a new...
I Don't Want to Go to School

0.0 (0)
It's Mouse's first day of school. It's Dinosaur's first day...
Somewhere Between Bitter and Sweet

0.0 (0)
I'm Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter meets Emergency Contact...
Counting Down with You

0.0 (0)
In this sparkling and romantic YA debut, a reserved Bangladeshi...
There's No Ham in Hamburgers: Facts and Folklore About Our Favorite Foods

0.0 (0)
From hot dogs and hamburgers to ice cream and pizza,...

Latest Member Reviews

The Light of Days Young Readers’ Edition: The Untold Story of Women Resistance Fighters in Hitler's Ghettos

"What worked: This is one gut-wrenching, powerful collection of stories of young Jewish women Resistance fighters in Hitler's Ghettos. While..."
Unchosen

"UNCHOSEN by Katharyn Blair is a YA Dystopian novel set in the future after the Crimson, a virus-like curse, turns..."
Take Me Home: Forests of the World

"TAKE ME HOME: FORESTS OF THE WORLD is an approachable nonfiction book that teaches about different kinds of forests, from..."
Hurricane Summer

"HURRICANE SUMMER is a sweeping coming-of-age story that captures the difficult and at times dangerous transition to womanhood. Tilla is..."
All Kinds of Other

"ALL KINDS OF OTHER is an intriguing YA contemporary that follows two boys as they start at a new school...."
Take Me Home: Waters of the World

"TAKE ME HOME: WATERS OF THE WORLD is an engaging nonfiction picture book that teaches basics and fun facts about..."
This Is My America

"WHAT I LOVED: Tracy's family is an outsider in multiple ways in their Texas town: they're one of the..."
Colors in Nature

"COLORS IN NATURE is a beautifully illustrated book of art that features animals and plants. The book walks through each..."
Welcome to Arizona

"WELCOME TO ARIZONA is a simple, fun travel guide picture book for children about the state. The book covers fun..."
I Don't Want to Go to School

"I DON'T WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL features Dinosaur and Mouse, who are both scared of their first day of..."
Counting Down with You

"COUNTING DOWN WITH YOU is a heart-wrenching and visceral YA contemporary read. Karina (Myra is her familial name) is a..."
The Light of Days Young Readers’ Edition: The Untold Story of Women Resistance Fighters in Hitler's Ghettos

"What worked: This is one gut-wrenching, powerful collection of stories of young Jewish women Resistance fighters in Hitler's Ghettos. While..."
There's No Ham in Hamburgers: Facts and Folklore About Our Favorite Foods

"While I was familiar with most of the information in the book, due to apparently all too frequent deep..."
Fate Calling

"Fate Calling by Lindsay Grace is a beautifully written fae fantasy about a young human girl named Aislinn and a..."
Reign of Secrets

"What worked: The magical aspect of this book had me turning pages quickly. It was easy to read and..."
In Deeper Waters

"IN DEEPER WATERS is an intriguing and fast-paced YA fantasy. Tal is the fourth of five royal children in a..."
Paint by Sticker Kids: Outer Space

"PAINT BY STICKER KIDS: OUTER SPACE is another fun collection of paint-by-sticker images with an outer space theme. The book..."
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

"THESE FEATHERED FLAMES is an enchanting YA fantasy about sisterhood, power, and destiny. When twins are born in the royal..."
The Mother of Monsters

"‘The Mother of Monsters’ by Fran Parnell, illustrated by Sophie Fatus, tells the story of Ntombi, the chief's daughter. She..."
Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail: A Story from Chile

"‘Grim, Grunt and Grizzle-Tail’ by Fran Parnell, illustrated by Sophie Fatus, is great for younger elementary readers and anyone who..."