Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 471
satisfying conclusion to a fascinating duology
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

In a world where beauty is a currency, the Belles are special, gifted with beauty and the power to bestow beauty on others. As we learned in the first book, their job is really a forced duty with people looking for ways to abuse their abilities. They have no choice in the matter. THE EVERLASTING ROSE picks up right where the first book left off, with Camille, Edel, and Amber, three of the Belles, on the run with Remy, a soldier and potential love interest.

Camille is forced deep into hiding while the world is changing. With Sophia at the realm and claiming her sister is dead, she is changing things in the kingdom for the worse. She also appears to be doing nefarious things with the Belles who she has. This book avoids a lot of world-building and background information with only what is necessary included, and as such, it is best read after the first book/does not function as a stand-alone.

What I loved: This whole series is fascinating. In an often beauty-obsessed culture, this book takes it to the next level and exposes the sometimes absurdity of the beauty obsession. The themes are really interesting and could spark some good discussions. The writing flows really well, and the plot completely pulls you in to the story. I eagerly awaited this second book, and overall, it did feel like a satisfying conclusion.

What left me wanting more: The pacing in the book felt a bit off where it was very slow in parts (particularly the beginning) and then really fast in others. I would have liked more information and building with the Iron Ladies who seemed to rush through the story. Additionally, some elements felt a little thrown in at times- mainly, the romance which was pieced here and there and the confrontations with characters from the previous book (I will not give details to avoid spoilers). I felt like the book would be about the same without the romance, and either would have liked the relationship to be more strongly built or left out. I also would have liked to know more about the truths of this world, including where the Belles come from (this is a common plot point, but I am not sure we ever got the full answer), and the extent of their abilities, the knowledge of which is growing in this book. The ending, while satisfying, felt a little rushed with a lot of buildup and then an abrupt series of quick events.

Final verdict: This duology is really fascinating and deals with some interesting themes. The characters are well built and the world mostly fleshed out. In this satisfying conclusion, we follow the Belles and Camille on their road to rebellion. I would certainly recommend this series for lovers of YA fantasy and dystopian.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Mr Penguin and the Fortress of Secrets (Mr Penguin #2)

0.0 (0)
Meet Mr. Penguin―Adventurer (And Penguin!) When Mr. Penguin...
Jonny Lambert's Construction Site

0.0 (0)
A beautifully illustrated book for babies featuring lots of noisy...
Pop-Up Peekaboo! Baby Animals

0.0 (0)
Take your toddler on a rain forest adventure and find...
Seven Deadly Shadows

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Kira Fujikawa has never had it easy. She’s...

0.0 (0)
Immerse yourself in a strange and beautiful world as you...

0.0 (0)
The inspiring, deeply patriotic true story of John Glenn, a...

0.0 (0)
A wildly imaginative introduction to yoga and nutrition by bestselling...

0.0 (0)
A book jam-packed with eight creative activities to make beautiful...
The Shadows Between Us

0.0 (0)
Tricia Levenseller, author of Daughter of the Pirate King, is...

0.0 (0)
It had been a great day. Perhaps the Best Day…...

0.0 (0)
Far away from the modern world, on a small tropical...

5.0 (1)
It's been three months since Casey McClair fought and survived...

0.0 (0)
She’s captured the king’s heart. But who’s captured hers? #1...

0.0 (0)
Jessica has better things to do than run for her...

0.0 (0)
Vanquishing the Citadel of Troy was a noble effort to...

0.0 (0)
Brad needs: . . . to deal with sporadic...

Latest Member Reviews

Seven Deadly Shadows

"Sixteen-year-old Kira Fujikawa loves helping at her family shrine. She also has a paranormal ability. She sees the not only..."
The Shadows Between Us

"THE SHADOWS BETWEEN US is the highly devourable YA fantasy I have been searching for! This is an enthralling story..."

"The Betrothed is a brand new YA-novel set in the 15th century by Kiera Cass, whom we all know from..."
Remember Me

"‘First rule of storytelling,’ he says, a glint in his eyes.’ Everything is possible.’ Nell is..."
Lobizona

"Sixteen-year-old Manuela, 'Manu' is in hiding from her father's Argentinian crime family. She also runs the risk of being deported..."
A Very Large Expanse of Sea

"Reviewed for YA Books Central A book that should be on every teen's shelf. ..."
Serious Moonlight

"Birdie and Daniel has the most awkward first encounter. So when Birdie started her job in a historic hotel, she..."
Long Way Down

"I feel like I've been asleep for the last 31 years and I just woke up. I am woke. ..."
The Opposite of Always

"Opposite of Always is a heartfelt and stunning debut; that is worthy of all praise. I am in love..."
Tyler Johnson Was Here

"Tyler Johnson Was Here--did not come to be politically correct, or racially ambiguous. Tyler Johnson came to tell an ugly..."
We Are Not Free

"Fourteen friends who grew up together in Japantown, San Francisco find themselves and their families sent off to incarceration camps..."
The Way You Make Me Feel

"Clara Shin is the class clown and definitely qualifies as a troll too. (Big difference between the two, I'm not..."
Pet
Pet

"Recently recognized as a National Book Award finalist and a Stonewall Honor book, Pet is also Akwaeke Emezi’s YA debut..."
Brown Girl Ghosted

"Sixteen-year-old Violet Choudhury has a huge secret. During the day she's part of her Midwestern town's cheer squad and at..."
Daughter of Chaos (Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #2)

"DAUGHTER OF CHAOS is another delightful spin-off book from the Netflix version of Sabrina. This one takes place between Parts..."
The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)

"THE QUEEN'S ASSASSIN is a YA fantasy romance that would appeal to younger YA readers. The book follows Shadow and..."
Scavenge the Stars (Scavenge the Stars #1)

"SCAVENGE THE STARS is an engaging YA fantasy that gripped me from the start. Amaya, or Silverfish, is a girl..."
Sword and Pen (Great Library Book, #5)

"Isn't great to finish a series and feel satisfied? Sword and Pen by Rachel Caine is the final book in..."
Wonder Woman: Warbringer (DC Icons #1)

"I snapped this one up because I love Wonder Woman, and I much appreciated Leigh Bardugo's adept writing in Six..."
Our Year in Love and Parties

"What I loved: The story was told through the unique lens of four specific events with..."