Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 477
An ultimately satisfying conclusion to a clever duology
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

THE EVERLASTING ROSE picks up where THE BELLES left off, with Camille, Edel, and Remy on the run. Sophia is determined to hunt them down and erects a special prison to keep all the Belles in called the Everlasting Rose. Camille has to figure out how to get Princess Charlotte safely on the throne, protect her sisters, decide whether or not the mysterious Iron Ladies can be trusted, and manage to live another day while on the run.

What I Loved:

Dhonielle Clayton is a master at crafting beautiful, lush descriptions in her writing. While the first book in the duology focused more on describing the beauty work Camille and her sisters did, this one describes more of the surroundings and Gris people, matching the edgier tone of the story.

With Camille on the run, the tension levels are high. You're never sure who is trustworthy, who has their own agenda, and who sincerely wants to help. There aren't as many twists in the plot this time, but the ones that we get are perfectly timed and gasp-worthy.

What Left Me Wanting More:

While we get some answers around the Belles' history, there is a lot left unanswered or unclear. If this had been a longer series, I would have expected the answers to come later, but as a conclusion, it was left to be desired. However, if there is ever a prequel or spin off exploring more of this world, I will absolutely be buying it.

In general, THE EVERLASTING ROSE felt rushed. Given it's around 100 pages less than the first book, this isn't too surprising. In particular, the end came together quite quickly and didn't leave as much room for the full emotional experience.

Overall Verdict:

While I didn't enjoy this as much as I did THE BELLES, THE EVERLASTING ROSE is an ultimately satisfying conclusion to a clever duology.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Faith has always known she was different and her...
The Mall

0.0 (0)
The year is 1991. Scrunchies, mixtapes and 90210 are, like,...

0.0 (0)
In Poems to Live Your Life By, Chris Riddell, political...
The Claires

0.0 (0)
Four beautiful girls. Quadruplets. They are not identical.But each is...
The Life Below

4.0 (1)
It was hard enough for Naomi to leave Leo,...
What He Hides

0.0 (0)
She wants the truth... or does she? They say...
The Shadows Between Us

0.0 (0)
Tricia Levenseller, author of Daughter of the Pirate King,...
Devil Darling Spy

0.0 (0)
It's 1940, and Sarah Goldstein is hiding in plain...

0.0 (0)
"more forgetting time. more midnight dances with yourself."...
The Upside of Falling

0.0 (0)
It’s been years since eighteen-year-old Becca Hart believed in...
More Than His Best Friend

0.0 (0)
She’s got a strict rule against dating. Could her...
Salty, Bitter, Sweet

0.0 (0)
A slow-burn romance in a cutthroat kitchen! There’s more to...
The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)

0.0 (0)
Set in the world of the New York Times–bestselling Winner’s...
The Winter Duke

0.0 (0)
She survived the curse. Now she must survive the throne....
Most Likely (Most Likely, #1)

0.0 (0)
From the creator of the hit TV series The Bold...
Look Both Ways

0.0 (0)
This story was going to begin like all the best...

Latest Member Reviews

Crown of Oblivion

"Engrossing and completely thrilling, CROWN OF OBLIVION is a fantastic new YA fantasy that I highly recommend. Dealing with themes..."
What Makes Us

"WHAT MAKES US is an intriguing story that follows a teenaged boy, his mother (in the past), and his friend..."
My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life

"Sixteen-year-old foster kid Elle Zoellner's life turns topsy turvy when a father, she never knew about, wants her to move..."
Under The Moon: A Catwoman Tale

"UNDER THE MOON brings us into the teenage years of Selina Kyle, who will eventually become Catwoman. Selina has a..."
This Time Will Be Different

"THIS TIME WILL BE DIFFERENT is an engaging YA contemporary with strong underlying messages about racism and social activism. With..."
Hidden Pieces

"As of chapter one, Embry is a senior in high school, a girl feeling adrift as Christmas approaches, and the..."
Between Before and After

"Elaine is the child of poor Irish immigrants growing up in turn of the century New York City. When Elaine’s..."
Dear Evan Hansen: The Novel

""Dear Evan Hansen" is a sad but sweet YA contemporary that addresses anxiety and the power of a small lie...."
HOW SHE DIED, HOW I LIVED

"What worked: Gripping tale that deals with survivor guilt after a horrific murder. This story is intense, but one I..."
My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life

"When Elle's mom gets sent to jail and she's thrown into foster homes, she starts to feel like her life..."
The Leading Edge of Now

"A raw but beautiful tale of one girl’s journey back to herself after experiencing sexual assault. Grace is a..."
Hidden Pieces

"I loved Stokes’ Girl Against the Universe, and was very excited to hear she was coming out with another book!..."
Beneath the Lighthouse

N/A
"Mature scenes, some violence and language, brief rape scene. "
Dare Mighty Things

"Told in first-person past-tense from a single point of view, Dare Mighty Things is a solid example of a YA/NA..."
Naondel (The Red Abbey Chronicles #2)

"Though NAONDEL is the prequel to the first book in the Red Abbey Chronicles, MARESI, you do not have to..."
The History of Jane Doe

"I want to love “The History of Jane” because I felt the sincerity of the author to say something about..."
Dare Mighty Things

"Dare Mighty Things is an extraordinary debut that features an Indian-American asexual protagonist in the fight of her life for..."
A Land of Permanent Goodbyes

"A Land of Permanent Goodbyes is a tear-provoking story about Tareq and his family as they struggle to find their..."
Someone to Love

"First off, I would like to give a trigger warning because the main character has bulimia and cuts herself. ..."
You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone

"You'll Miss Me When I'm Gone was one of the last books I read in 2017 and I couldn't have..."