Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 4045
darkly haunting and spell-binding
(Updated: April 05, 2019)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

HOUSE OF SALT AND SORROWS is an elegant and enchanting dark YA fantasy. Fans of the 12 Dancing Princesses will be delighted by this deliciously haunting retelling. Annaleigh is the sixth of twelve daughters whose lives have been filled with death. On the islands where they live and her father currently holds the dukedom, the eldest child inherits, whether or not they are male. Annaleigh never imagined she would be in a viable position to inherit, and she has been completely shocked by the events that have led to her having only one older sister, Camille, left. As the four before her have died, Annaleigh suspects that she or Camille are next.

The deaths began with the loss of their mother after childbirth and have continued for so many years that the mourning customs have been their only customs. The series of deaths have led the people around them to believe that the Thaumus family is cursed. However, Annaleigh looks beyond the deaths to suspect murder. As she investigates, stranger and stranger happenings have her second-guessing herself and everything she sees and knows.

With her new stepmother expecting and the shroud of sorrow hanging over the family for so long, everyone but Annaleigh is eager to move on and forget the past. When they find a portal that will take them anywhere, the sisters are all ready to adorn their beautiful gowns and shoes and dance all night at elegant balls. However, Annaleigh is focused on discovering who might be targeting their family before it is too late. With twists and turns and a handsome love interest, this book is completely spell-binding.

Annaleigh is a beautifully crafted character and easy to relate to. Through her eyes, we witness the (at times) horrors and mysteries that shroud the Thaumus family. This is easily a book which kept me up at night turning pages and is difficult to put down. The premise is expertly executed, capturing the 12 Dancing Princesses in a unique and completely fascinating way. As one of my favorite fairytales, I had high expectations, and they were completely met and exceeded.

In terms of the love interest for Annaleigh, this felt a little insta-love-ish, and I was on-board later in the story, though I had a hard time getting into them as a couple. I would have either liked more build up to the romance or for it to be excluded (there is certainly enough else to keep the reader’s eager attention). Other than that, the book has a fantastic build to a twisty and perfect conclusion. The setting is lyrically crafted and absolutely ideal for this dark and spell-binding story. Everything is wrapped up so well at the end also- what a perfect stand-alone novel!

I highly recommend for people who like horror/thrillers, mysteries, fantasy, and dark fairytale retellings. I would add warnings for murders, suicide, and mental illness. Perfect for fans of WINTERSONG and THE WHITE STAG.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling author...
Music for Tigers

0.0 (0)
Shipped halfway around the world to spend the summer...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. ...
Kingdom of Ice and Bone (The Frozen Sun Saga, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lira and Reyker have lost everything. Including each other....
Sword of the Seven Sins

0.0 (0)
Eva Marteinn never wanted to be a killer. Raised...
Things That Should Stay Buried

0.0 (0)
Some destinies are written in the stars. Others must...
How It All Blew Up

0.0 (0)
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda goes to Italy...
Horrid

0.0 (0)
From the author of You Must Not Miss comes...
Tsalix Silverthorn and the Scepter of Destiny

0.0 (0)
The latest phenomenal work from New York Times Bestselling author...
The Adventures of Bubba Jones (#4): Time Traveling Through Grand Canyon National Park

0.0 (0)
In the fourth book of this award-winning national park series,...
The Companion

0.0 (0)
The other orphans say Margot is lucky. Lucky to...
Sanctuary

0.0 (0)
It's 2032, and in this near-future America, all citizens...
Teen Titans: Beast Boy

0.0 (0)
Author Kami Garcia (Beautiful Creatures) and artist Gabriel Picolo,...
The Magic Misfits: The Fourth Suit (The Magic Misfits, #4)

0.0 (0)
The Misfits must work together to fend off mysterious attacks...
Duck and Penguin Do Not Like Sleepovers

0.0 (0)
A hilarious bedtime romp tackles the thrills and anxieties of...
Furia

0.0 (0)
A powerful, #ownvoices contemporary YA for fans of The...

Latest Member Reviews

Breathless

"BREATHLESS is a book about change, secrets, and the aftermath. Claudine (Claude) is about to graduate high school, and she..."
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

"SKYHUNTER is an enthralling and lush YA fantasy. Lu really paints the story with her words, and this new novel..."
The Library of Lost Things

"I wasn't sure what to expect with The Library of Lost Things, but I know I didn't anticipate a book..."
Goddess in the Machine (Goddess in the Machine, #1)

"Andra, a teenager from the 2160s, is put into cryogenic stasis fulling expecting to wake up on another planet one..."
Kingdom of Ice and Bone (The Frozen Sun Saga, #2)

"KINGDOM OF ICE AND BONE picks up where the first book left off. Lira and Reyker are separated and each..."
How It All Blew Up

"HOW IT ALL BLEW UP is an absolutely riveting coming-out story. Amir Azadi is an Iranian American who has always..."
Music for Tigers

"A vividly descriptive Middle-Grade work with an ecological focus--enriched by elements of music, friendship, and atypical neurology. When her..."
The Shadow Mission (The Athena Protocol, #2)

"THE SHADOW MISSION is an even better sequel to THE ATHENA PROTOCOL with lots of action and spy-related danger. In..."
Horrid

"HORRID is an intensely creepy story that follows Jane and her mother, Ruth. Jane's father has just died and after..."
Color Outside the Lines

"WHAT I LOVED: The stories vary in genre, time period, and the makeup of the couples, but many of them..."
I'll Be the One (I'll Be the One #1)

"WHAT I LOVED: Haneul "Skye" Shin is talented, fat, and contrary to the max. Her mom tells Skye she..."
Legendborn (Legendborn, #1)

"LEGENDBORN is absolutely thrilling YA fantasy that captivated me from the start. Bree gained early entrance into UNC-Chapel Hill and..."
Blood & Honey

"This is going to be a hard review to write because I have so many words that want to come..."
Don't Call the Wolf

"Ren is the queen of the forest, a lynx shifter, and the protector of the forest's creatures. When a dragon..."
The Companion

"Everyone thinks Margot is lucky. She's the sole survivor of a horrific car crash that killed her family. While at..."
A Golden Fury

"Thea Hope has learned alchemy as her mother's apprentice, forced into the shadows when all she wants is equal credit..."
Foul is Fair

"Elle is part of the glittering crowd, beautiful and untouchable, or so they believe. One night, Elle and her friends..."
Burn Our Bodies Down

"Audiobook review Margot is tired of not getting answers from her mother about where she came from..."
His Hideous Heart

"HIS HIDEOUS HEART is a powerhouse of incredible writers retelling different works of Edgar Allen Poe. From "The Raven" to..."
Courting Darkness (Courting Darkness duology)

"Having loved the original Fair Assassin books, I was cautiously optimistic about this new duology continuing Sybella's story and introducing..."