Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 918
A must read for His Fair Assassin fans.
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

While I thoroughly enjoyed this book, I was equally frustrated by it. Marketed as a new duology set in the world of His Fair Assassin, readers new to LaFevers should be able to jump into Sybella and Genevieve’s story with ease. That was not the case for me. I spent the first half of the book utterly confused and utterly fascinated. I loved this book and these characters, but new readers should definitely begin with Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin book 1) before attempting this new duology. Fans of LaFevers will be able to jump right into the story as a continuation of the series.

As a new reader, I found Sybella and Genevieve’s characters difficult to separate in the beginning, although I quickly became addicted to Genevieve’s half of the story. She is a new character for this series, so I was able to connect with her in a way I couldn’t do with Sybella. Unfortunately, her side of the story slowed the pacing for me. Fans of LaFevers will likely be drawn to Sybella’s story as a returning character and fan favorite.

With quickly alternating points of view, it took me a while to get to know these characters as individuals. But this rich dark historical fantasy world of sleeper assassins, court intrigue and daughters of death, grabbed me (after a somewhat slow start) and refused to let go. As much as I wanted to stop reading and pick up Grave Mercy instead, I could not put it down.

Lafevers is a new favorite for me. With a careful hand, she creates a perfect blend of the historical fiction of the French court with the wild fantasy elements of kickass assassin nuns and daughters of death. (Who doesn't want to read that?)

Don’t miss this beautiful duology, just be sure to start with the original trilogy first. I can’t wait to dive back into this world again with His Fair Assassin while I’m waiting on the sequel!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Incredible Animals

0.0 (0)
In this illustrated guide, discover fascinating and unusual information about...
Special Delivery

0.0 (0)
A lovely book to share with children in an expecting...
Eyelike Stickers: Trains

0.0 (0)
Hundreds of irresistible, reusable, and collectible stickers to mix, match,...

0.0 (0)
It is twenty years since the events of La Belle...
Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)

0.0 (0)
The first book in an epic and romantic YA series...
Winter Light

0.0 (0)
WINTER LIGHT is the story of 15-year-old Mary Donahue...
Talent

0.0 (0)
Sandee Mason is convinced her life will change if she...
WITHIN THE FOLDS OF A SWAN'S WINGS

0.0 (0)
What if the one element that has always defined you...
The Good Girls

0.0 (0)
One of Us Is Lying meets Sadie in this twisty,...
Frozen 2: Dangerous Secrets: The Story of Iduna and Agnarr

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Iduna harbors a dark secret. On the surface, she...
All our Hidden Gifts

0.0 (0)
Maeve’s strangely astute tarot readings make her the talk of...

0.0 (0)
Twelve-year-old Cassie needs a horse. She’s determined to move up...
A Higher Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 9)

0.0 (0)
Just when everything seems to be perfect, it all falls...
A Happier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 8)

0.0 (0)
Two guys. One girl. A big confusing mess. ...
A Healthier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 7)

0.0 (0)
She broke his heart. Will he ever forgive her? ...
A Steadier Version of Me (The Destiny Clark Saga Book 6)

0.0 (0)
He wants her back, but she’s already taken. ...

Latest Member Reviews

"If your expecting the same type of books that you’ve been reading in this series, you’d be wrong. This whole..."
The Kinder Poison

"From start to finish I absolutely adored this story. The opening scene was so much fun to read while Zahru..."
Heiress Apparently (Daughters of the Dynasty, #1)

"HEIRESS APPARENTLY is a YA rom-com with deep themes that make it such an engaging and captivating read. Gemma is..."
The Good Girls

"THE GOOD GIRLS is an enthralling read. The book begins after the disappearance and seeming murder of the police chief's..."
All our Hidden Gifts

"Maeve finds a pack of tarot cards while cleaning out a closet at her school. What starts off as curiosity,..."
Frozen 2: Dangerous Secrets: The Story of Iduna and Agnarr

"DANGEROUS SECRETS: THE STORY OF IDUNA AND AGNARR is a great MG/YA fantasy romance. Based on Frozen, this book tells..."
Hot British Boyfriend

"When Ellie is completely humiliated by her best friend an crush, she decides the best way to escape her jeering..."
The Camelot Betrayal (Camelot Rising, #2)

"THE CAMELOT BETRAYAL continues Guinevere's story as she seeks to find her footing in a world that keeps throwing her..."
Loveboat, Taipei

"WHAT I LOVED: Ever’s pushy parents have already gotten their way by making her apply to medical school, but..."
The Mermaid, The Witch, and the Sea

"THE MERMAID, THE WITCH, AND THE SEA is a lush, beautiful, and romantic fantasy that follows Flora, now living as..."
Super Fake Love Song

"SUPER FAKE LOVE SONG is a YA contemporary romance about siblings, feeling like an outcast, and friendship. Sunny definitely feels..."
The Companion

"Margot is the survivor of a devastating accident in which her entire family drowns in their car. She is taken..."
How It All Blew Up

"Amir is an Iranian American teenager who is gay and in the closet. When another student blackmails him about his..."
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

"I really enjoyed Skyhunter, another winner from Marie Lu. Talin is a refugee and is mute. She is a Striker,..."
Now That I've Found You

"Evie is a young actress living in L.A. and has a legacy to live up to. Her parents are famous..."
Clown in a Cornfield

"When Quinn and her father move to a tiny town, she's hoping to fit in and finish high school. Kettle..."
Foreshadow: Stories to Celebrate the Magic of Reading and Writing YA

"'Foreshadow: Stories to Celebrate the Magic of Reading and Writing YA,' edited by Emily X.R. Pan and Nova Ren Suma,..."

"Maisie is a young teenage girl growing up in the Bronx. The story takes place during the early 1960s. Maisie..."
Sing Like No One's Listening

"SING LIKE NO ONE'S LISTENING is a YA fiction about grief and anxiety. Nettie lost her mother unexpectedly after a..."
We Are Lost and Found

"WE ARE LOST AND FOUND is a profound historical fiction read that takes place in the early 1980s NYC. Michael..."