Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 621
dark, engrossing, and fantastic
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

WHITE STAG is a really fantastic YA fantasy that I was absolutely pulled into and found it hard to put down. We mainly follow Janneke/Janneka (male/female declension as she was raised to be a male heir), a human who was captured and brought into the Permafrost by a goblin. Since then, she has been a thrall (slave) to goblins. The first goblin (Lydian) who enslaved her tortured her (see warnings below) before giving her as a gift to his nephew (Soren). Soren has treated her quite differently, as a friend/confidante, and in that time, Janneke has begun to trust him although she has never forgotten what he is (a monster as she was raised to believe).

Janneke both fears and hates Lydian, determined to kill him but frightened of the terrible torture he inflicted on her. At a goblin gathering, she begins to fight with him (and thus Soren joins in to protect her). The fight ends because the Erlking (goblin king) has died and the stag has been released. The white stag is the embodiment of the goblin king's power and belongs to the strongest goblin. The deadly hunt begins, all the goblins who wish to become king heading out to find the stag and become the next king, forming temporary alliances and frequently backstabbing. Before they leave, Soren tells Janneke something she finds quite frightening- she may be joining with the permafrost as a changeling, transforming into the "monsters" she fears- a goblin. Determined to fight it with every beat of her heart, Janneke is thrust even further into the dangerous realm and the deadly politics that are arising.

Full of magical creatures, battles, and even a touch of romance, this book was absolutely incredible, and I really loved every step of the journey. I cannot recommend it enough to anyone who loves engaging YA fantasy. However, I would add warnings for rape (in the past/acknowledged, not described in too much detail), torture (physical and mental), and mutilation (could fall under torture).

One of the major themes of the book is that our choices are what make us monsters, not our very essence, and that everyone could be a monster to someone else/elements of perspective (you are a monster to the animals you kill for food or to the grass that you walk on, etc.). This was a really important and intriguing discussion which underlies a lot of the epiphanies in the book. To add to that, the characters were all very well fleshed out and there were so many I really enjoyed, especially Seppo, but also of course the main two of Soren and Janneke. Although the description talks about Janneke being raised as a male, this was a relatively smaller piece of the story and only mentioned occasionally in reflections/was not as big a part of the book as I expected from the description. Instead, we mostly see Janneke's journey to come to terms with all her past, present, and future and understand/appreciate who she is.

Overall, I really loved this story, and I cannot wait until the next is released. While there's a bit of a lead-in to the next book, this one is wrapped up/not a big cliffhanger. This was an incredible world, and I absolutely loved every second I spent in it. Recommend for people who enjoy dark YA fantasy.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Secret Key (Agatha Oddly)

0.0 (0)
Meet thirteen-year-old Agatha Oddly – a bold, determined heroine, and...
Skipping Forward

0.0 (0)
What if you could skip forward in time, but...
The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)

0.0 (0)
New York Times bestselling author Maureen Johnson delivers the...
Finding Mr. Better-Than-You

0.0 (0)
A heartbroken teen, with the help of her best...
Golden Chains

0.0 (0)
Never fall in love with the enemy. If only...
Wardens of Eternity

0.0 (0)
Magic and magical creatures. Immortal gods and goddesses. History...
Tweet Cute

0.0 (0)
Meet Pepper, swim team captain, chronic overachiever, and all-around...

0.0 (0)
Fifteen-year-old JL Markham's life used to be filled with carnival...
The Lost Legends

0.0 (0)
All her life, Princess Adalina heard tales of the legendary,...

0.0 (0)
In a series of interwoven fictionalized stories, Deborah Noyes gives...
In the Hall with the Knife

0.0 (0)
A murderer could be around every corner in this thrilling...
Birthday

0.0 (0)
Boyhood meets The Sun Is Also a Star in this...
A Betrayal Exposed (Not Every Girl Book 3)

0.0 (0)
Olivia Davenport’s life is finally going smoothly, until if falls...
Freaky in Fresno

0.0 (0)
Influencers. Movie nerds. Beauty queens. And one pink convertible. Have...

0.0 (0)
Death marked her from her very first breath. ...
Only Mostly Devastated

0.0 (0)
Will Tavares is the dream summer fling―he's fun, affectionate, kind―but...

Latest Member Reviews

Our Year in Love and Parties

"What I loved: The story was told through the unique lens of four specific events with..."
The Secret Key (Agatha Oddly)

"Agatha loves the work of Detective Hercule Poirot. He's actually her imaginary friend and she uses his work to influence..."

"JACK KEROUAC IS DEAD TO ME is Gae Polisner’s most recent YA Contemporary novel. Like in her other books, she..."
Woven in Moonlight

"Woven in Moonlight is a beautiful and lush fantasy, based on the culture and history of Bolivia. It is set..."
Julie Winsome M.D., Medical Detective Science Fiction Mysteries, Volume # 1

"Always fun to follow along with Dr. Julie Winsome Medical Detective! Great stories and I love the writing style..."

"WE ARE ALL HIS CREATURES by Deborah Noyes is a series of eleven short stories about the beloved showman, P.T...."
Jane Anonymous: A Novel

"JANE ANONYMOUS follows two timelines: one while Jane was captured for 7 months and one after she is back home...."
Finding Mr. Better-Than-You

"FINDING MR. BETTER-THAN-YOU starts off like a cheesy romantic comedy, but ends up being a lot more fulfilling light-hearted YA..."
Freaky in Fresno

"FREAKY IN FRESNO is a spin on the old novel, FREAKY FRIDAY. Ricki (nickname for Lyric) had a falling out..."
Only Mostly Devastated

"ONLY MOSTLY DEVASTATED is a charming YA contemporary romance that follows Ollie. Ollie had lived in California, until this year..."
Neffatira's First Challenge

"The descriptions are very beautiful and you can perceive the feelings of the characters to the point of empathy. ..."
Ink in the Blood (Ink in the Blood Duology #1)

"INK IN THE BLOOD is an engaging and atmospheric YA fantasy. Celia Sand was delighted when she was chosen to..."
Starfell: Willow Moss & the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)

"STARFELL is a charming and magic-filled middle grade fantasy that sweeps young readers away into another world. Willow Moss seemed..."
Journey of the Pale Bear

"What an adventure I just had! From the moment, I opened the book, I was transported to the 13th century..."
Hey Grandude!

"'Hey Grandude!' by Paul McCartney, illustrated by Kathryn Durst, is a fun, colorful, and exciting adventure. The illustrations enhance the..."
What I Want You to See

"WHAT I WANT YOU TO SEE is an interesting book that discusses homelessness, choices and their intersection with privilege, as..."
The 47 People You'll Meet in Middle School

"'The 47 People You'll Meet in Middle School' by Kristin Mahoney is an endearing look at an often hard time..."
Jesse and the Ice Princess (Gulf City High)

"Jesse and the Ice Princess by Michelle MacQueen is the first book in her new series Gulf City High, and..."

"The insatiable oasis will hunt down the thieves of this book and tear them apart, limb by limb, devouring their..."
No Map, Great Trip: A Young Writer's Road to Page One

"'No Map, Great Trip: A Young Writer's Road to Page One' by Paul Fleischman tells the story of the author..."