Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 486
dark, engrossing, and fantastic
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

WHITE STAG is a really fantastic YA fantasy that I was absolutely pulled into and found it hard to put down. We mainly follow Janneke/Janneka (male/female declension as she was raised to be a male heir), a human who was captured and brought into the Permafrost by a goblin. Since then, she has been a thrall (slave) to goblins. The first goblin (Lydian) who enslaved her tortured her (see warnings below) before giving her as a gift to his nephew (Soren). Soren has treated her quite differently, as a friend/confidante, and in that time, Janneke has begun to trust him although she has never forgotten what he is (a monster as she was raised to believe).

Janneke both fears and hates Lydian, determined to kill him but frightened of the terrible torture he inflicted on her. At a goblin gathering, she begins to fight with him (and thus Soren joins in to protect her). The fight ends because the Erlking (goblin king) has died and the stag has been released. The white stag is the embodiment of the goblin king's power and belongs to the strongest goblin. The deadly hunt begins, all the goblins who wish to become king heading out to find the stag and become the next king, forming temporary alliances and frequently backstabbing. Before they leave, Soren tells Janneke something she finds quite frightening- she may be joining with the permafrost as a changeling, transforming into the "monsters" she fears- a goblin. Determined to fight it with every beat of her heart, Janneke is thrust even further into the dangerous realm and the deadly politics that are arising.

Full of magical creatures, battles, and even a touch of romance, this book was absolutely incredible, and I really loved every step of the journey. I cannot recommend it enough to anyone who loves engaging YA fantasy. However, I would add warnings for rape (in the past/acknowledged, not described in too much detail), torture (physical and mental), and mutilation (could fall under torture).

One of the major themes of the book is that our choices are what make us monsters, not our very essence, and that everyone could be a monster to someone else/elements of perspective (you are a monster to the animals you kill for food or to the grass that you walk on, etc.). This was a really important and intriguing discussion which underlies a lot of the epiphanies in the book. To add to that, the characters were all very well fleshed out and there were so many I really enjoyed, especially Seppo, but also of course the main two of Soren and Janneke. Although the description talks about Janneke being raised as a male, this was a relatively smaller piece of the story and only mentioned occasionally in reflections/was not as big a part of the book as I expected from the description. Instead, we mostly see Janneke's journey to come to terms with all her past, present, and future and understand/appreciate who she is.

Overall, I really loved this story, and I cannot wait until the next is released. While there's a bit of a lead-in to the next book, this one is wrapped up/not a big cliffhanger. This was an incredible world, and I absolutely loved every second I spent in it. Recommend for people who enjoy dark YA fantasy.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
A teen rockstar has to navigate family, love, coming out,...
IMG_4918.jpg

0.0 (0)
The black X of the Aramach Rebels marks the...
City of Beasts

0.0 (0)
"If you see a beast, and you have the...
The Grace Year

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
No one speaks of the grace year. It’s forbidden....
The Fractured Empire

0.0 (0)
The Ceithren Empire is finally at peace, but for...
The Survival List

0.0 (0)
Sloane Weber is devastated when her older sister dies...
To Kill a Kingdom

0.0 (0)
This action-packed YA debut pits a deadly siren princess and...
Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into the Crooked Place begins a gritty two-book YA fantasy...
Kingdom of Souls

0.0 (0)
Magic has a price—if you’re willing to pay. The...
A Warm Friendship

0.0 (0)
"This heartwarming story deals with friendship, empathy, caring, nurturing and...
The Rift

0.0 (0)
As corporate greed is pitted against supernatural forces, two young...
Abraham Lincoln: The Making of America #3

0.0 (0)
The third installment of the Making of America series, Abraham...
Tiger Queen

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
From Annie Sullivan, author of A Touch of Gold,...
A Match Made in Mehendi

0.0 (0)
For fans of When Dimple Met Rishi comes a...
Cold Day in the Sun

0.0 (0)
Holland Delviss wants to be known for her talent...
Perfectly You

0.0 (0)
Ivy Nixon is the student body Vice President at...

Latest Member Reviews

The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

"THE BEAUTIFUL takes place in New Orleans, primarily following a young woman, Celine. Celine fled France after a terrible event..."
Butterfly Yellow

"BUTTERFLY YELLOW is a heartfelt and engrossing historical fiction. Hang is in the US, searching for her younger brother. After..."
The Lady Rogue

"THE LADY ROGUE is an absolutely thrilling historical fiction/fantasy. In the vein of THE MUMMY but in Romania and with..."
Voyages in the Underworld of Orpheus Black

"VOYAGES IN THE UNDERWORLD OF ORPHEUS BLACK is a story about brotherhood, war, and the power of art. Harry is..."
The Madman of Piney Woods

"THE MADMAN OF PINEY WOODS follows two young boys in Canada as their lives are changing and intersecting. Benji Alston..."
The Beholder

"When Selah's proposal to her childhood crush is rejected, she is sent away on a boat to meet possible suitors...."
Remember Me

"REMEMBER ME is an engaging mystery/thriller that goes back and forth through time. We follow Lea in the past when..."
Moon Water: A Novel

"MOON WATER follows Nettie in the summer of 1969 when her life is in turmoil. Nettie is 16 years old..."
A Dress for the Wicked

"A DRESS FOR THE WICKED is a lush and enthralling YA historical fiction that feels anything but historical! Emmaline (Emmy)..."
Professor Renoir’s Collection of Oddities, Curiosities, and Delights

"PROFESSOR RENOIR'S COLLECTION OF ODDITIES, CURIOSITIES, AND DELIGHTS primarily follows Babe, a fourteen-year-old girl who has gigantism. She already stands..."
The Season

"THE SEASON by Sarah MacLean is a YA historical fiction novel that centers around seventeen-year-old Alex, who is coming of..."
Night of Soldiers and Spies (Ranger in Time #10)

"Ranger travels back in time via a magical first aid kit, and must stay until he figures out how to..."
Planet Earth is Blue

"Nova is severely autistic and verbally unintelligible, although she can manage simple things like "yes", "no", and some names. She..."
This Is Just A Test

"THIS IS JUST A TEST takes readers back to the year 1983. It follows David who is both Jewish and..."
With the Might of Angels (Dear America)

"Scholastic is bringing us new editions of the Dear America series and I couldn't be happier. I loved this series..."
Castle of Concrete

"What an amazing debut novel - it weaves together fascinating characters, political upheaval, anti-Semitism, and conflicted love interests into a..."
Stone River Crossing

"Martha Tom lives in a town in the Choctaw Nation in 1804, right across the Bok Chitto River from a..."
The Summer of '69

"Lucas' summer is ruined when his girlfriend Robin decides to be a camp counselor some distance from their Long Island..."
Unconventional Warfare (Special Forces, Book 1)

"Danny has a violent streak, frequently pounding on his younger brother for pounding on another brother. His single father has..."
An Assassin's Guide to Love & Treason

"AN ASSASSIN’S GUIDE TO LOVE & TREASON by Virginia Boecker is such a breath of fresh air. It’s a YA..."