Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 338
Excellent but Disturbing Vietnam Title
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Danny has a violent streak, frequently pounding on his younger brother for pounding on another brother. His single father has struggled with containing Danny ever since the boy's mother passed away. After Danny steals a motor cycle (which he claims he borrowed), the judge gives him the option to go to juvenile detention or join the army. When he chooses the army, Danny ends up in a unit with his high school wrestling coach, Colonel Macias, who was instrumental in getting the sentence. Sent to Vietnam, Danny ends up in a Studies and Observation Group that does dangerous, covert jobs. A budding photographer, Danny often has a camera with him, but it often gets him into trouble. One example: his unit is watching a group of women working in a field, and he is taking pictures of them. Unfortunately, there is a sniper hiding behind the women that he does not see, and when the sniper opens fire, Danny's unit ends up brutally slaughtering the entire work contingent. As one interchange with another soldier, Lopez explains, being in Vietnam is brutal. (Page 88: "We're here to kill, Bug. Don't forget that." "We're not here to kill innocents," I say. "We're here to kill everything," he says coldly.) After surviving the loss of many of his unit, Danny is injured and returns home. I am hoping that subsequent volumes deal with his reentry into society.
Good Points
Lynch does a fantastic war book, and his World War II and Vietnam series are very popular with my students. This book is a great length, and has the sort of fast-paced action that my students enjoy. I'm not sure how Mr. Lynch researches, but his details about being involved in a military conflict are always exquisite, from the food and living conditions to the fighting on the field.

That said, Danny is a very violent and disturbed young man, and his unit has men in it who are even more violent. His decision to join the army represents a somewhat unusual one during Vietnam-- he had burned through his other choices, and being sent to 'Nam was his best course of action.

I'm interested as to what the trajectory of this series will be. Danny is very violent, and unlike other Lynch books, this violence is not tempered with how horrible war is. Perhaps I am overly influenced by a recent conversation I had with a neighbor and former coworker who fought in Vietnam; he was only recently diagnosed with PTSD, so I kept wondering about Danny's future. If Danny has trouble returning home, this volume will make more sense.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Sage Sassafras’s life is cursed! No, really. Since birth, Sage...
Naked Mole Rat Saves the World

0.0 (0)
Can Kit’s super-weird superpower save her world? ...
The Brokenhearted

0.0 (0)
teenage girl is transformed into a reluctant superhero and...
Brave Enough

0.0 (0)
Teenager Cason Martin is the youngest ballerina in the Atlanta...
I Wanna Be Where You Are

0.0 (0)
When Chloe Pierce’s mom forbids her to apply for a...
The Moment We Fell (Mystic Shores Series, Book #1)

0.0 (0)
Nothing good happens when people keep secrets. ...
The Hit List

0.0 (0)
The Los Angeles Conservatory for the Arts is supposed to...
Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball (Amelia Fang, #1)

0.0 (0)
A hilarious illustrated middle grade series for reluctant readers starring...
Amelia Fang and the Unicorns of Glitteropolis (Amelia Fang, #2)

0.0 (0)
The second book in a hilarious heavily illustrated middle-grade series...
Small World

0.0 (0)
When Nanda is born, the whole of her world is...
On the First Day of Summer Vacation

0.0 (0)
When school is out, it’s time to celebrate and have...
Ada Twist and the Perilous Pants (The Questioneers, #2)

0.0 (0)
An instant New York Times bestseller! ...
Bad Bella

0.0 (0)
Bella is the very best dog a family could ask...
Dear Justice League

0.0 (0)
Hello! Justice League here. Ask us anything! ...
Cracking the Bell

0.0 (0)
Friday Night Lights meets Concussion in this powerful and important...
Ghosts of Lock Tower

0.0 (0)
A haunted tower, an evil ghost, a monster spawned from...

Latest Member Reviews

Tiger Queen

"All Kateri wants to do is impress her father, become the queen she's meant to be, protect her people, and..."
Cracking the Bell

"Isaiah's family has struggled after the death of his sister in a car accident that wasn't her fault. The parents..."
The Haunted

"THE HAUNTED is a really fascinating YA horror that follows Hendricks, a teenage girl, after she moves into a haunted..."
My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life

"Sixteen-year-old foster kid Elle Zoellner's life turns topsy turvy when a father, she never knew about, wants her to move..."
Truly Madly Royally

"I’d be lying if I didn’t say that half of the reason why I read this was because it’s a..."
Finding Esme

"Esme feels alone. Her much-loved grandfather died, her dad deserted the family, her mom has mentally checked out, and her..."
House of Salt and Sorrows

"Annaleigh just wanted to be in charge of the lighthouse close to her island home. Rumors circulate on the island..."
Wreck: A Novel

"WRECK is a heart-wrenching story about a teenage girl on the brink of college as she discovers her father's life-altering..."
Reverie

"REVERIE is a captivating and unique YA fantasy without adequate comparisons. The book follows Kane, a teenage boy who was..."
Coral

"CORAL is not a fairytale retelling of THE LITTLE MERMAID- while it may have been inspired by some of the..."
You Are The Everything

"YOU ARE THE EVERYTHING is an intriguing stream-of-consciousness style read that follows Elyse Schmidt, a 16/17 year old girl who..."
The Last Hope

"I honestly don’t know where to begin! The Last Hope by Krista & Becca Ritchie picks up thirty days after..."

"Most books about a school shooting would start with the horrific event at the center of story, but EVERY MOMENT..."
The Bone Houses

"THE BONE HOUSES is a beautifully crafted and full engrossing YA fantasy with some horror aspects. Aderyn (Ryn) is a..."
The Silence Between Us

"THE SILENCE BETWEEN US is an #ownvoices story about Maya, a senior in high school who has just moved with..."
Beasts of the Frozen Sun

"BEASTS OF THE FROZEN SUN features lush world-building, compelling characters, and a captivating plot that make it an engrossing read...."
Snow & Rose

"NOTE: Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own."
Where I End and You Begin

"All Ezra wants to do is ask his crush Imogen to the prom. But when he and his friend Holden..."
Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things

"When Edie moves back to Mansfield to life with her aunt, uncle, and two cousins, she is reunited with her..."
The Beholder

"When Selah's proposal to her childhood crush is rejected, she is sent away on a boat to meet possible suitors...."