The Haunted Featured
Young Adult Fiction 670
The Haunted
(Updated: February 16, 2019)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Hendricks and her family buy an old building in Drearford, New York after an incident. Her family 'hopes' this will be a fresh start for all of them. Only little do they know that the house they purchased is the site of a murder. Hendricks senses strange things in the house. Plus, the resident cute pariah guy has a link to what happened in the house. After a tragedy, a bloody note warns that there will be one more victim. Can Hendricks stop this from happening before her family are the next victims?

What worked: This is a chilling paranormal story that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Think Riverdale meets Amityville. Some great horror scenes that are gripping and haunting. The middle of the novel had me turning the pages. Let's just say I had the lights on while reading. There's one scene that is gruesome and horrifying. The writing here felt like Stephen King-- lots of horror, suspense, and surprises.

Hendricks pass has her vulnerable to things around here. Add to that leaving her friends and starting new at a small town high school can't be easy. The locals are accepting of her and try to let her join their crowd. There's the cute guy, Connor, who lets Hendricks know he wants to be more than friends. I liked Connor. He understood why she didn't want to rush into a relationship right off the bat. The other friends seem a little edgier and have a 'Mean girl' vibe going on, especially around Eddie, the high school outcast.

Okay, what I had a hard time with had to be how the parents never seemed to be around. They would leave almost every weekend. It didn't seem believable to me. Wouldn't they want to be close by, especially after what happened to Hendricks with her boyfriend?

I also didn't buy that Hendricks would fall that fast in love with Eddie. Sure, the vengeful ghosts would have her seeking for someone for comfort, but it seemed too forced for her to think there would be more to their relationship.

And the ending left me very upset. I won't spoil it, but it felt rushed and there wasn't any real conclusion. But that's just me.

Chilling paranormal story where the ghosts of the past seek vengeance and the teen who tries to save her family before they're the next victims.

Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Gotham High

0.0 (0)
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of Alex...
The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)

0.0 (0)
Les Misérables meets Six of Crows in this page-turning adventure...
Dragon Rising: A Mulan Inspired Fantasy

4.9 (3)

0.0 (0)
Sometimes a battle isn't waged on a bloody field....

0.0 (0)
Savannah, Georgia is one of the most haunted places in...
Sword in the Stars (Once & Future, #2)

0.0 (0)
In this epic sequel to Once & Future, to...
Perfectly Misunderstood

0.0 (0)
Jayden Valdez is an overachieving intellectual. Mike McGinnes is...
Crave

0.0 (0)
My whole world changed when I stepped inside the...
Golden Arm

0.0 (0)
Lazarus “Laz” Weathers has always been shy, and his...
Meet Me at Midnight

0.0 (0)
They have a love-hate relationship with summer. Sidney and...
In My Heart

0.0 (0)
A working mother reassures her child that even when they’re...
Grandpa's Stories

0.0 (0)
One young girl reflects on a year with her beloved...
The Nest That Wren Built

0.0 (0)
Nature lovers and poetry fans alike will be drawn to...
Moonwalker

0.0 (0)
So, you want to know about Jack Wilson? Here’s some...
Elysium Girls

0.0 (0)
From a lush, dazzlingly original new voice in young adult...
The Lost Legends

5.0 (2)

0.0 (0)
A plague. A prophecy. A centuries-long curse. All her...
In the Hall with the Knife

0.0 (0)
A murderer could be around every corner in this...

Latest Member Reviews

Gotham High

"GOTHAM HIGH is a comic book that follows the iconic Batman-related characters as they were before they were famous/infamous. Bruce..."
The Court of Miracles (Court of Miracles, #1)

"THE COURT OF MIRACLES is an enagaging and lush YA historical that imagines an alternate France where the revolution has..."
Elysium Girls

"ELYSIUM GIRLS is an engaging YA historical fantasy/dystopian. In the 1930s, an area of Oklahoma suddenly got cut off from..."
Girls With Razor Hearts

"Now that Mena and the other girls have escaped Innovations Academy, they find their past hasn't left them. Mena vows..."
The Lucky Ones

"THE LUCKY ONES is quite an emotional ride. The book follows May and Zach in alternating first person points-of-view. May..."
Girl, Serpent, Thorn

"GIRL, SERPENT, THORN is a YA fairytale retelling by Melissa Bashardoust. The story follows Soraya, a princess who is cursed..."
Meet Me at Midnight

"MEET ME AT MIDNIGHT is a book that reminds readers of all the possibilities and freedom of summer vacation. We..."
Sword in the Stars (Once & Future, #2)

"SWORD IN THE STARS is a satisfying conclusion to a delightful YA fantasy retelling of King Arthur in space! Picking..."
The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)

"THE GUINEVERE DECEPTION by Kiersten White is the first book in a YA retelling of the classic Arthurian legend. Guinevere,..."
Crave

"CRAVE is a really engaging new YA fantasy/paranormal romance that follows Grace in the first person. Grace lost her parents..."
Golden Arm

"Lazarus Weathers lives in the Jet City trailer park in Seattle with his mother and half brother, Antonio. He has..."
Ember Queen (Ash Princess, #3)

"EMBER QUEEN is a great conclusion to the Ash Princess trilogy. Picking up right where book 2 left off, Theo..."
Kissing Lessons

"'Kissing Lessons' by Sophie Jordan is a well-written, entertaining story about a variety of main characters, including Hayden Vargas, Nolan..."
Lady Smoke (Ash Princess, #2)

"LADY SMOKE is every bit as addictive as the first in this engrossing trilogy. Picking up where the first book..."
The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)

"The Queen's Assassin is a fantasy romance geared toward the younger YA reader. It is told from the first person..."
Ash Princess (Ash Princess, #1)

"ASH PRINCESS is an engaging YA fantasy that takes us to the conquered land of Astrea. Theodosia's mother, the Fire..."
The Everything I Have Lost

"At age twelve, Julia starts writing in a diary. She writes about what she witnesses in her town of Juarez,..."
Sting

"STING is an intriguing YA dystopian retelling of THE COUNT OF MONTE CHRISTO. The world has been ravaged by climate..."
The Paper Girl of Paris

"The Paper Girl of Paris is written by journalist Jordyn Taylor and is set in both historical 1940’s and nowadays..."
The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)

"THE MIDNIGHT LIE is a lush and atmospheric YA fantasy. The book transports us to another world, where people are..."