Review Detail

Fangirl FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 4892
sweet story
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

"Fangirl" was a fun and sweet story, similar in tone to Eleanor & Park. Cath and her twin sister have gone to college, and college is quickly becoming a time of independence and discovery. Cath finds herself adrift as her twin begins to separate and party, while Cath deals with the family drama and her ever-present love of fanfic for Simon Snow (think Harry Potter Harry/Draco style fanfic).

Cath is taking a fiction writing class, but it is not quite what she thought- her fanfic won't work there. Add to that, her growing crush on her roommate's boyfriend, who seems to always be around and is interested in listening to her fanfic. On top of all the newness, her father is having the same troubles, and their absent mother may be popping back into the picture. With a whole storm of emotions- and lots of fanfic- this was a heart-touching story of finding oneself and loving who you are.

Overall, I thought it was a fun story, although somewhat emotionally difficult (similar to Eleanor & Park). I definitely recommend it to lovers of contemporary YA fiction.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Mall

0.0 (0)
The year is 1991. Scrunchies, mixtapes and 90210 are, like,...

0.0 (0)
In Poems to Live Your Life By, Chris Riddell, political...
The Claires

0.0 (0)
Four beautiful girls. Quadruplets. They are not identical.But each is...
The Life Below

4.0 (1)
It was hard enough for Naomi to leave Leo,...
What He Hides

0.0 (0)
She wants the truth... or does she? They say...
The Shadows Between Us

0.0 (0)
Tricia Levenseller, author of Daughter of the Pirate King,...
Devil Darling Spy

0.0 (0)
It's 1940, and Sarah Goldstein is hiding in plain...

0.0 (0)
"more forgetting time. more midnight dances with yourself."...
The Upside of Falling

0.0 (0)
It’s been years since eighteen-year-old Becca Hart believed in...
More Than His Best Friend

0.0 (0)
She’s got a strict rule against dating. Could her...
Salty, Bitter, Sweet

0.0 (0)
A slow-burn romance in a cutthroat kitchen! There’s more to...
The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)

0.0 (0)
Set in the world of the New York Times–bestselling Winner’s...
The Winter Duke

0.0 (0)
She survived the curse. Now she must survive the throne....
Most Likely (Most Likely, #1)

0.0 (0)
From the creator of the hit TV series The Bold...
Look Both Ways

0.0 (0)
This story was going to begin like all the best...

0.0 (0)
Members of the secret mermaid community have learned to trust...

Latest Member Reviews

Now Entering Addamsville

"Zora Novak has been accused of a crime she didn't commit. It doesn't help that her family are known as..."
Rules for Vanishing

"RULES FOR VANISHING is a deliciously haunting YA horror perfect for Halloween. Told through collected documents, interviews, and texts, this..."
Bloodleaf (The Bloodleaf Trilogy, #1)

"BLOODLEAF is a new favorite. This YA fantasy is completely engrossing, thrilling, and absolutely amazing. Aurelia is princess of Renalt..."

""The Witch of Willow Hall" was a fascinating book, perfect for Fall! Lydia is the middle daughter of a wealthy..."
Beneath the Lighthouse

N/A
"Mature scenes, some violence and language, brief rape scene. "
Invisible Ghosts

"INVISIBLE GHOSTS was not what a book that I was expecting but one that I quite enjoyed. Rose has always..."
The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2)

"I really loved The Dream Thieves! It was a fun, magical and captivating novel. The Dream Thieves continues Gansey's,..."
The Awakening of Sunshine Girl (The Haunting of Sunshine Girl #2)

" The Awakening of Sunshine girl is the thrilling sequel to The Haunting of Sunshine..."
The Haunting of Sunshine Girl

" The Haunting of Sunshine Girl is an intriguing novel capturing ghosts and the other world in a perfectly..."
The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle #2)

"I want to start of by saying I usually hate slow books. I don't mind if they start slow to..."
Escape from Asylum (Asylum #0.5)

"Ricky Desmond has been through a number of mental health facilities. It always ends with him getting bored, calling his..."
The Seventh

"Absolutely loved this book!"
Wicked Haints

"This book is wonderfully written and a fun read for all ages. Most of the ghostly activity takes place on..."
Dead Man's Fingers

"The fast paced adventure keeps the reader engaged wondering what hilarious trouble the Ghost of The Savannah Strangler will get..."
Zombies Y'all!

"Fun read. Recommend for youngsters who like zombies, but maybe don't want all the blood, guts and graphic gore of..."
Ghostlight

"Avery enjoys spending summers at her Grandma’s Southern farm with her brother, but this year is different. Her brother no..."

AshAsh
"I wouldn't read this in the dark... Really though, I wouldn't. I ended up freaking myself out reading it..."
Sanctuary

"Cecilia is forced back to her island home after her aunt's death. Sanctuary is a centuries old French-Gothic mansion..."

"MY THOUGHTS I was kind of worried about this book at first. Not because of he creepiness, but because..."
Thirteen Days of Midnight

"The premise of 13 Days of Midnight is what initially pulled me toward this book. Leo Hunt is a big..."