Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 717
No-holds-barred Villain
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Wyatt has a decent life, but when his dad takes off, it dissolves into chaos. His mother doesn't function well, his younger brother is clingy, and his aunt Narcissa moves in and is only really helps if you consider snacking on the couch helpful. Wyatt does some stupid things and compiles a small criminal record for himself, but it's enough to land him in big trouble when he is framed for his friend's shooting of a convenience store worker. He is sent to juvenile detention, but given an odd opportunity-- he can go to a summer camp program run by the government and given the opportunity to wipe his record clean by working in covert ops for them. Soon, Wyatt is at Camp Valor, doing boot camp style drills and learning the ins and outs of espionage. In a parallel story, we follow Wilberforce Degas, a more than avid gamer whose father is a crime lord. They are vacationing on their yacht with Wil's friend Chris when things go bad. Colonel Degas is killed, and Wil flees with his mother and Chris. Unfortunately, Chris and his entire family are killed after he leaves, and Wil sinks into a deep depression and becomes the very antisocial, psychopathic hacker, the Glowworm. The Glowworm later meets Raquel, a violet nine-year-old girl, and the two set out to find his father's killer, whom he believes is . Eventually, his search connects him to the Camp Valor program, and Wyatt's group's training ultimately triumphs, although tragedies occur and there are complications put in place for the next book.
Good Points
Wyatt's descent into criminal behavior, his redemption at the camp, and the complicated twist involving his father make this a riveting read. Teens love the idea of saving the world, and putting them in a camp where they are taught the tools to use to do this is brilliant. The paramilitary aspect will also be popular with readers who like war stories as well as tales of spies.

This is definitely a young adult book, and the Glowworm and Raquel are deeply disturbing characters. There is a fair amount of human-on-human violence in this one, and while it isn't lengthy and graphic, there will be occasional scenes where the Glowworm decides to put a bit of his nemeses' flesh into a blender and through his feeding tube. Raquel's background and motivations aren't really explained, but she is brutal and senseless in her killing. This will appeal to some readers raised on crime shows and video games, but was less than appealing to me personally.

Readers who enjoyed David Gilman's The Devil's Breath, Muchamore's Cherub series or McNab's Traitor books will love the pulse-pounding action and adventure of this new paramilitary series featuring troubled but talented delinquents who have a shot at redemption.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

A Small Zombie Problem (Zombie Problems, #1)

0.0 (0)
In his fiction debut--and the start of a new series--celebrated...
My Funny Bunny

0.0 (0)
When a boy receives a gift box from his uncle...
Kindness Rules! (A Hello!Lucky Book)

0.0 (0)
Manners don’t come naturally to everyone! But did you know...
Teeny Tiny Ghost

0.0 (0)
An adorable spooky twist on "The Teeny Tiny Woman" that's...
A Pumpkin for Peter: A Peter Rabbit Tale

0.0 (0)
Hop into the world of Peter Rabbit and his friends...
Solving for M

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of Raymie Nightingale and The Fourteenth Goldfish,...
A Parade of Elephants

0.0 (0)
New York Times–bestselling and Caldecott Medalist Kevin Henkes follows five...
My Fate According To The Butterfly

0.0 (0)
When superstitious Sab sees a giant black butterfly, an omen...
The Rough Patch

0.0 (0)
A Caldecott Honor Book An...
Sunny's Tow Truck Saves the Day!

0.0 (0)
When a family car gets a flat on the way...
How to Be a Cat

0.0 (0)
In cut-paper artist Nikki McClure’s latest picture book, a kitten...
TBH, IDK What's Next (TBH, #4)

0.0 (0)
Three BFFs set out to have the BEST SUMMER EVER...

Latest Member Reviews

Fangs & Fins

"Ivy and Ember are thrown together when their parents marry. One a popular girl, the other a bookworm, they start..."
Teeth in the Mist

"Deliciously creepy, shocking at every turn, and unexpectedly horrific, TEETH IN THE MIST is an intense page-turner. Fitting the supernatural..."
Storm and Fury

"With Armentrout’s characteristic snark and swoony romance, STORM AND FURY will not disappoint fans who have been eagerly awaiting this..."
Storm and Fury

"Trinity has never been allowed to leave her home compound because of her secret. Here, she has friends, a protector,..."

"This is a very good book to read if you're into fantasy and teen romance. I really enjoy reading this..."
White Stag: A Novel (Permafrost, #1)

"WHITE STAG is a really fantastic YA fantasy that I was absolutely pulled into and found it hard to put..."
Beneath a Sinister Moon

"Wow besides the awesome title Beneath A Sinister Moon the inside of this book is even better. Things I wanted..."
Within the Darkest Hollows

"If you thought Book 1 Between the Bleeding Willows was great you haven't read nothing yet. Within the Darkest Hollows..."
Between the Bleeding Willows

"After Cassidy Ravanaugh's boyfriend Jace dies she goes to find a ring that he had been wearing. but get gets..."
Fresh Ink: An Anthology

"Anthologies have such a special place in my heart. The art of the short story is undervalued and it’s just..."
Beneath a Sinister Moon

"An amazing conclusion to this epic paranormal series! It did leave it open for the possibilities of more books but..."
Within the Darkest Hollows

"Another amazing book in this series! These definitely need to be read in order to be enjoyed and understood. I..."
Between the Bleeding Willows

"An exciting and fast paced read, that draws you in from the first page. I really felt for Cassidy. She's..."
Soul Screamers, Vol. 1: My Soul to Lose / My Soul to Take / My Soul tSave (Soul Screamers 0.5-2)

"This collection consists of a novella and two short novels put together in a first "volume." As they are pretty..."
Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle #3)

""Blue Lily, Lily Blue" is a captivating, haunting continuation of the Raven Boys series. Here, Blue's mother is missing after..."
The Collector (Dante Walker #1)

"I have some mixed feelings. "The Collector" follows Dante in the first person- he is telling us his story. Dante..."
Never Fade (The Darkest Minds #2)

""Never Fade" continues the Darkest Minds series with what felt a bit like an intermediate book. Beginning after the end..."
The Agony House

"Denise Farber and her mother and stepfather have moved back to New Orleans. Denise lost her grandmother and father to..."
Zombie Abbey

""Zombie Abbey" is Downton Abbey with zombies (and characters names changed). Although it's been a while since I watched Downton..."
Bewitching (Kendra Chronicles #2)

""Bewitching" continues the story of the witch Kendra and retells multiple fairytales. The book begins with her origin story, losing..."