Review Detail

Grenade Featured
Young Adult Fiction 2535
An honest portrayal of young men during war
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Hideki is a 13-year-old Okinawan and Ray is a United States Marine. Both are play important roles in the "Love Day" invasion of Okinawa during World War II. In GRENADE, Alan Gratz follows both young men as they work their way across the island during the waning days of the war in the Pacific.

Both Hideki and Ray are blunt as they tell their stories. War is not kind, and there is no effort to filter the effects of it--though Hideki uses the framing technique taught to him by a Japanese military photographer as he looks at various scenes on the island. Both Ray and Hideki reflect on their pasts and their family lives, and their back-stories add to the emotional impact of GRENADE.

GRENADE is brutal and honest and it offers an unflinching view of war. In war, even good people do things that are bad, and the life-or-death situations into which people are thrust bring out the best and worst in the characters of this book.

This is not an easy book to read, but even in its most bloody and challenging moments it reminds readers of the good and the hope that can come in the most difficult of times. Kudos to Gratz for a well-researched novel that will be a terrific addition to a middle school classroom.

My thanks to the publisher and YA Books Central for a copy of the book in exchange for my honest review.
Good Points
A brutal-but-honest look at WWII

Great characters
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 1 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Faith has always known she was different and her...
The Mall

0.0 (0)
The year is 1991. Scrunchies, mixtapes and 90210 are, like,...

0.0 (0)
In Poems to Live Your Life By, Chris Riddell, political...
The Claires

0.0 (0)
Four beautiful girls. Quadruplets. They are not identical.But each is...
The Life Below

4.0 (1)
It was hard enough for Naomi to leave Leo,...
What He Hides

0.0 (0)
She wants the truth... or does she? They say...
The Shadows Between Us

0.0 (0)
Tricia Levenseller, author of Daughter of the Pirate King,...
Devil Darling Spy

0.0 (0)
It's 1940, and Sarah Goldstein is hiding in plain...

0.0 (0)
"more forgetting time. more midnight dances with yourself."...
The Upside of Falling

0.0 (0)
It’s been years since eighteen-year-old Becca Hart believed in...
More Than His Best Friend

0.0 (0)
She’s got a strict rule against dating. Could her...
Salty, Bitter, Sweet

0.0 (0)
A slow-burn romance in a cutthroat kitchen! There’s more to...

Latest Member Reviews

Dragon Rising: A Mulan Inspired Fantasy

"The story: Hua Minglan will sacrifice everything to avenge the death of her sister, and when war threatens her..."
Darkblood Academy

"AWESOME"
Falling For My Nemesis

"Mia and Carson have always had it out for each other. But when Carson hits Mia in the face with..."
The N Word

"'Dating the Boy Next Door' by Michelle MacQueen and Ann Maree Craven is a wonderful sequel to the first book..."
My Name is Erin, and My Mom's an Addict

"Erin Whitaker's father is dead and her mother is a drug addict. When she is very young her mother..."
Spoken

"Roman has his life turned upside down when, amidst a scandal, his mom decides to leave LA. Roman must learn..."
Fire (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #2)

N/A
"Advice to save your marriage and get your Ex Boyfriend/girlfriend back ,contact assurancesolutionhome@gmail.com for Urgent effective love Spell to get..."
Spark (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #1)

"Advice to save your marriage and get your Ex Boyfriend/girlfriend back ,contact assurancesolutionhome@gmail.com for Urgent effective love Spell to get..."
Ashes (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #3)

"This is a beautiful book—both in how it is designed and how it is written. The prose is lyrical, yet..."
Roman and the Hopeless Romantic (Gulf City High)

"Best friends….secret love….y’all Michelle MacQueen put my two favorite tropes into one incredibly sweet story. Roman and the Hopeless Romantic..."
Adeline's Aria

" The Story: Addie has an obsession with British rocker Jude, but it's just a fan..."