Review Detail

Eleanor & Park FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 12600
good book
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

"Eleanor & Park" was an unexpected touching read for me. Eleanor is a chubby red-head and Park is a half-Asian cool kid who loves comics and musics- and soon, Eleanor. They ride the bus to school together, and Park is intrigued by Eleanor, slowly trying to reach her. Eleanor holds most everyone at arms length. Her family is poor, and she has an abusive home life. Add to that the cruelty of teens, and she is bullied at school. When the cute boy starts reaching out to her, Eleanor is afraid to reach back.

Despite the 80s setting, this book felt timeless- a story that could reach across the ages. Eleanor and Park slowly begin to learn more about each other and fall in love. Considering all the bigger issues they have to deal with, the book ends up focusing on the relationship in the context of everything else going on. There were sections that were absolutely heart-breaking and others that just made me smile. This was a worthwhile read.

The ending is very open, and as a person who likes closure, this was not my favorite. However, the build up of the book was fantastic and their relationship was the sweetest. I also really loved Park's parents, who had a great role in the story. This is a really great and touching read for people who like YA romance!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

All You Need Is a Pencil: The Totally Sick Sick-Day Activity Book

0.0 (0)
A perfect, device-free remedy to what to do when the...
Animazes

0.0 (0)
Follow fascinating journeys of animal migration in this beautiful book...
Christmas Cheer for The Grouchy Ladybug

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of the New York Times bestseller Hugs...
Baby Loves the Five Senses: Hearing!

0.0 (0)
Big, brainy science for the littlest listeners. ...

0.0 (0)
In 1935, ten-year-old Alex Maki from Bainbridge Island, Washington is...
Laugh-Out-Loud Halloween Jokes: Lift-the-Flap

0.0 (0)
The #1 bestselling Laugh-Out-Loud Jokes for Kids series is bringing...
Little Tigers

0.0 (0)
Journey with a family of tigers as they search for...
Explorer Academy Codebreaking Activity Adventure

0.0 (0)
Unlock ancient puzzles and secrets introduced via supercool codes and...
One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller

0.0 (0)
A stunningly gorgeous counting book with a delightful surprise ...
Hard Work, but It's Worth It: The Life of Jimmy Carter

0.0 (0)
The first picture book about the inspiring life of humanitarian...
Ready to Fly: How Sylvia Townsend Became the Bookmobile Ballerina

0.0 (0)
An inspiring picture book for little ballerinas everywhere! ...
Odd Dog Out

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming and poignant story from award-winning creator Rob Biddulph...

Latest Member Reviews

All You Need Is a Pencil: The Totally Sick Sick-Day Activity Book

"THE TOTALLY SICK SICK-DAY ACTIVITY BOOK is exactly what the title describes. There are crossword puzzles, places to doodle, word..."
Animazes

"ANIMAZES shows the migration patterns of fourteen different creatures. It shows that there are several different paths these creatures can..."
Baby Loves the Five Senses: Hearing!

"BABY LOVES THE FIVE SENSES: HEARING teaches everything you need to know about how hearing, the ears, and sound all..."
Hard Work, but It's Worth It: The Life of Jimmy Carter

"Before reading this, I didn't know much about Jimmy Carter except that he had been one of the presidents. I..."
Ready to Fly: How Sylvia Townsend Became the Bookmobile Ballerina

"READY TO FLY is a biography of Sylvia Townsend and how she became a ballerina. She always loved to dance..."
Astro Kittens: Cosmic Machines (Astro Kittens)

"An excellent read for children who love machines and/or space, ASTRO KITTENS: INTO THE UNKNOWN takes preschoolers for an unforgettable..."
Astro Kittens: Into the Unknown (Astro Kittens)

"Wish you could teach your toddler about outer space and the basis for science-fiction? If so- or you just love..."
Harry Potter Origami

"Scholastic Inc brings origami and Harry Potter together in this book with fifteen foldable crafts! Each one has a different..."
Imagine

"IMAGINE is a gorgeous autobiographical poem with accompanying artwork and an inspirational tone. Herrera was the U.S Poet Laureate and..."
Awesome Achievers in Technology: Super and Strange Facts about 12 Almost Famous History Makers

"AWESOME ACHIEVERS IN TECHNOLOGY is an approachable middle grade non-fiction book about people behind every day inventions that you may..."
Kindergarten Big Skills Workbook: Sorting for Stem

"'Sorting for STEM Big Skills Workbook' deals with core concepts. Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics are the focus in this..."
Math Practice; Extra Big Skills Workbook

"'Math Practice Extra Big Skills Workbook' has a large variety of fun activities to help students build their math knowledge...."
Kindergarten Skills Workbook: Handwriting

"'Handwriting Skills Workbook' does a great job of informing students and parents alike about the importance of focusing on how..."
Flights of Fancy: Creative Inspiration from Ten Award-Winning Authors and Illustrators

"'Flights of Fancy: Creative Inspiration from Ten Award-Winning Authors and Illustrators' is a great help to aspiring authors, as it..."
Titan and the Wild Boars: The True Cave Rescue of the Thai Soccer Team

"TITAN AND THE WILD BOARS tells the true story of the trapped soccer team and their rescue in the caves..."
Learning Mats: Match, Trace & Write Numbers

"MATCH TRACE & WRITE NUMBERS introduces and helps build math skills at an early age. It's teaches them counting, simple..."
It Began with a Page: How Gyo Fujikawa Drew the Way

"IT BEGAN WITH A PAGE brings us through the journey of Gyo Fujikawa, an incredible Japanese artist and author. Since..."
Tinyville Town: I'm a Firefighter

"I'M A FIREFIGHTER takes us into the daily life of a firefighter. While they're working, they sleep at the fire..."
O Captain, My Captain: Walt Whitman, Abraham Lincoln, and the Civil War

"O CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN teaches us more about Walt Whitman's life and his time spent during the Civil War. To..."
Professor Astro Cat's Stargazing

"PROFESSOR ASTRO CAT's STARGAZING is an incredible resource for children who want to learn more about the night sky. Informative..."