Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 587
Super cute read
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Chloe Snow is a high school sophomore who is struggling with the abandonment of her mother. She also is absorbed in taking her PSA, school, boys and friends. She must keep it all together to make it through her sophomore year.

I really didn’t know much about ‘ The Year of Living Awkwardly’ going into it. It is book #2 in the Chloe Snow’s Diary series. They synopsis made Chloe sound very angsty. As I read though the diary (the story is told in diary format) I realized Chloe is typical of how many teenagers truly are. I haven’t been a teenager for a very long time but I remember being very emotional and every little thing was a big deal to me . Even though technology has made the world an entirely different place from when I grew up, the world of the teenager is still small and very self-absorbed. This is almost how it needs to be as they learn who they are and how to relate to the world around them. For example, Chloe thinks she is never going to meet anyone and is going to wind up as a spinster. This seems silly at first but this is exactly an example how teenagers feel. Throughout the story Chloe often states that she knows she’s privileged and self-centered but that she can’t help feeling this way she does.

One of the most interesting things in ‘The Year of Living Awkwardly’ is Chloe’s relationships to other characters in the story. I think her relationship with her parents is one that will resonate with a lot of people. Chloe struggles to not let her mother’s abandonment and distant personality ruin her life. She also struggles with her father moving on from his ruined marriage and dating Chloe’s english teacher. Chloe really grows as a person in relation to her dad’s dating life. I also loved how Chloe grew with respect to her other personal relationships. She learned what things were really important to her and that she deserved to be treated well.

I loved the characters, the agsty storyline, the diary format, and the easy to read prose. I loved learning so much about “South Pacific” (I showing my age here but I couldn’t help thinking about ‘Dirty Dancing’). This is just an all around fun read with an accurate portrayal of what it is like to be a teenager. I am going to read book #1, ‘Confessions of a Teenage Disaster and I can’t wait to find out in the next two books what happens in Chloe’s Junior and Senior year.
Good Points
Easy to read. Great summer read. Part of Chloe Snow's Diary Series
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Two friends in the 1980's were graduating from Cosmetology School....
Twisting Minds

0.0 (0)
How can you trust your heart when you can't trust...
The Art of Holding On

0.0 (0)
Life happens, whether you’re ready or not. All you can...
Breaking Through: How Female Athletes Shattered Stereotypes in the Roaring Twenties

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author Sue Macy offers a fresh and timely account...
Outlawed

0.0 (0)
OUTLANDER meets Robin Hood. Traveling through time...
The Path We Take

0.0 (0)
He’s alone He’s tattooed He’s badly burnt ...
Half-Blood Mage

0.0 (0)
A cursed dragon hunter A half-blood mage...

0.0 (0)
If genetic engineering could guarantee you and your family perfect...
Slayer (Slayer, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into every generation a Slayer is born… ...
Magic Bound

0.0 (0)
Starting a new school is never easy and this time...
When Wishes Bleed

0.0 (0)
One Prince. One Witch. One Fate. ...
Dealing in Dreams

0.0 (0)
The Outsiders meets Mad Max: Fury Road in this fast-paced...
Girls With Sharp Sticks (Girls With Sharp Sticks, #1)

0.0 (0)
Some of the prettiest flowers have the sharpest thorns. ...

0.0 (0)
Young Trib follows orders and fights. The Puritanics are...
Fae Hunter

0.0 (0)
Can one mortal take on all of Faerieland? ...
Rising

0.0 (0)
Four tests. Seven days. Nine teens. ...

Latest Member Reviews

Neffatira's First Challenge

"The descriptions are very beautiful and you can perceive the feelings of the characters to the point of empathy. ..."
Seneca Element (The Seneca Society Book 2)

"The wait is finally over! SENECA ELEMENT by Rayya Deeb is now available. As a huge fan of SENECA REBEL,..."
The Burning Shadow (Origin Series, #2)

"I’m not going to lie….I read The Burning Shadow in two days. It could’ve been one sitting if my eyelids..."
The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future

"THE END AND OTHER BEGINNINGS is the latest from DIVERGENT author, Veronica Roth. The novel is comprised of six YA..."

"EVE OF MAN by Giovanna and Tom Fletcher is the latest in YA dystopias. In the story, a phenomenon of..."

"What worked: I'm a huge fan of the Lux series and LOVE Daemon. The relationship between Daemon and Kat is..."

"THE BURNING SHADOW is a fantastic and thrilling continuation of the spin-off Origin series. Just like the original series, there..."
The Hive

"THE HIVE by Barry Lyga and Morgan Baden is a YA sci-fi novel set in the near future. In this..."
Be More Chill

"BE MORE CHILL is an interesting discourse on popularity/being "Cool" and the pros/cons of technology. Jeremy is part of the..."
Girl Gone Viral

"Girl Gone Viral was pitched for Warcross and Black Mirror fans. Now I haven’t read Warcross yet, but I’ve seen..."
Aurora Rising

"Now I am huge huge fan of both Jay and Amie as individuals and as co-authors. Their Illuminae series completely..."
Breakout

"BREAKOUT by A.M. Rose is an edge-of-your-seat, YA dystopian adventure that will have you turning page after page well past..."
Stranger Things: Suspicious Minds

"Suspicious Minds is a prequel to the Netflix show Stranger Things. This story focuses around the Eleven's mom, Terry Ives..."
Breakout

"BREAKOUT is a thrilling and fast-paced YA sci-fi/dystopian. Lezah is in prison for a crime she cannot remember. This future..."
The Seclusion

" The Seclusion is scarily wonderful. I couldn't put this book down and ended up finishing it all in one..."
Nexus (The Androma Saga #2)

"NEXUS is the second and final book in the Androma Saga and it picks up right where Zenith left off...."
Skyward

"Sanderson raises the YA sci-fi quality bar in this high-flying story of human survival, friendship, legacy, loss, and confronting enormous..."
The Dysasters

"THE DYSASTERS is a really engaging new YA fantasy/sci-fi series. We begin with Foster, whose adopted mother Cora has dragged..."
Alienated (Alienated #1)

"I think I fell in love! Aelyx and Cara’s romance is of the slow-burn kind.... simply swoony! The..."
Mercury Rises

"Feedback This was a great, unique dystopian novel. This book followed Mercury the whole time while she is looking for..."