Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1023
OK, hard to follow
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

"Fawkes" is a YA historical fantasy that sounds so interesting! Unfortunately, I could not get into it. In this alternate reality of the early 1600's in Britain, we follow Guy Fawkes's son, Thomas. Thomas caught the Stone Plague about a year earlier, which turned his eye to stone- it seems to be dormant for now, but it could potentially kill him by turning him completely to stone. What Thomas is really upset about is that he is unable to declare a color power and thus wears a colorless mask. Everyone gets to declare a color when they become an adult which gives them certain powers. These people are called Keepers.

Igniters are the enemy of Keepers, as they wield the White Color Power to do untold damage- and supposedly, they created the Stone Plague (though the fault for this is less clear). There's propaganda on both sides with very clear divisions. Thomas soon learns that his distant father, Guy, is part of a revolution set on taking down the Igniter King. However, all Thomas really wants is to declare a color power.

Thomas was really hard to like- he comes across as self-involved, petulant, and petty. I had a really hard time getting into the story mainly because I didn't care for him much. He does seem to grow as the story continues, but I really had to force myself to keep going. I did love his romantic interest- she is fiercely independent and resourceful- I wish the story had been told from her point-of-view.

I also had a hard time really imaging the altered setting with color powers and why the Keepers/Igniters were so adamantly opposed. I almost would liked more background on this to explain it to me better. Overall, I think it was very promising, but I personally could not get into it as much as I hoped I would.

Please note that I received an ARC from the publisher through netgalley. All opinions are my own.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Faith has always known she was different and her...
The Mall

0.0 (0)
The year is 1991. Scrunchies, mixtapes and 90210 are, like,...

0.0 (0)
In Poems to Live Your Life By, Chris Riddell, political...
The Claires

0.0 (0)
Four beautiful girls. Quadruplets. They are not identical.But each is...
The Life Below

4.0 (1)
It was hard enough for Naomi to leave Leo,...
What He Hides

0.0 (0)
She wants the truth... or does she? They say...
The Shadows Between Us

0.0 (0)
Tricia Levenseller, author of Daughter of the Pirate King,...
Devil Darling Spy

0.0 (0)
It's 1940, and Sarah Goldstein is hiding in plain...

0.0 (0)
"more forgetting time. more midnight dances with yourself."...
The Upside of Falling

0.0 (0)
It’s been years since eighteen-year-old Becca Hart believed in...
More Than His Best Friend

0.0 (0)
She’s got a strict rule against dating. Could her...
Salty, Bitter, Sweet

0.0 (0)
A slow-burn romance in a cutthroat kitchen! There’s more to...
The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)

0.0 (0)
Set in the world of the New York Times–bestselling Winner’s...
The Winter Duke

0.0 (0)
She survived the curse. Now she must survive the throne....
Most Likely (Most Likely, #1)

0.0 (0)
From the creator of the hit TV series The Bold...
Look Both Ways

0.0 (0)
This story was going to begin like all the best...

Latest Member Reviews

Dragon Rising: A Mulan Inspired Fantasy

"The story: Hua Minglan will sacrifice everything to avenge the death of her sister, and when war threatens her..."
Darkblood Academy

"AWESOME"
Falling For My Nemesis

"Mia and Carson have always had it out for each other. But when Carson hits Mia in the face with..."
The N Word

"'Dating the Boy Next Door' by Michelle MacQueen and Ann Maree Craven is a wonderful sequel to the first book..."
My Name is Erin, and My Mom's an Addict

"Erin Whitaker's father is dead and her mother is a drug addict. When she is very young her mother..."
Spoken

"Roman has his life turned upside down when, amidst a scandal, his mom decides to leave LA. Roman must learn..."
Fire (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #2)

N/A
"Advice to save your marriage and get your Ex Boyfriend/girlfriend back ,contact assurancesolutionhome@gmail.com for Urgent effective love Spell to get..."
Spark (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #1)

"Advice to save your marriage and get your Ex Boyfriend/girlfriend back ,contact assurancesolutionhome@gmail.com for Urgent effective love Spell to get..."
Ashes (The Wings Trilogy: Adam, #3)

"This is a beautiful book—both in how it is designed and how it is written. The prose is lyrical, yet..."
Roman and the Hopeless Romantic (Gulf City High)

"Best friends….secret love….y’all Michelle MacQueen put my two favorite tropes into one incredibly sweet story. Roman and the Hopeless Romantic..."
Adeline's Aria

" The Story: Addie has an obsession with British rocker Jude, but it's just a fan..."