Review Detail

4.0 1
Young Adult Fiction 1545
cute
Overall rating

Plot

Characters

Writing Style

"How to Keep a Boy from Kissing You" is the light-hearted, comedic tale of Aurora, a 16-year-old who has dedicated her energy to playing matchmaker and making sure she only receives a kiss from her Prince Charming. She is incredibly oblivious to others around her and pretty stubborn. The book mostly centers around the school play, "Much Ado about Nothing" and her relationship with Hayden, the boy next door, mirrors the relationship between Beatrice and Benedick (the characters they play).

The book is very cute and I loved Hayden and Aurora's relationship- it was a very, very slow build (I wanted to shake her and tell her the obvious at times)! The book also deals with her absentee and neglectful mother, who left years ago to get some space and only visits Aurora to convince her to go into modeling. Her father, the NAD, is doing his best, but Aurora knows the mother-daughter relationship is important (though she learns to stand up for herself by the end).

Aurora has a funny voice and accurately portrays a somewhat mature (but in other ways naïve) 16-year-old with some accuracy. It's a fun and light-hearted romantic read, great for younger teens (clean and straight-forward- you won't find more than a kiss). I found it somewhat reminiscent of "Angus, Thongs, and Full-frontal Snogging," but better for an even younger crowd (though even as an adult, I found this to be a fun read)!

Please note that I received an egalley of this book from the publisher through netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Report this review Was this review helpful? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account