Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1406
Simply Stunning
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

In 1600s Rome, Artemisia Gentileschi has few choices in life: she could be a nun, she could be ruled by a husband, or she could grind pigment for her father’s paint. Though no one knew her as an artist, she was brimming with talent and passion for painting. Told in verse, this novel follows Artemisia’s young life as she battles a patriarchal world, is raped, and is repeatedly silenced. But most of all, she paints images that will one day become legend, expressing emotion and color that transcends centuries.

Prior to reading BLOOD WATER PAINT, I admit that I did not know who Artemisia Gentileschi was. After doing a quick search, I recognized some of her paintings inspired by Susanna and Judith, but I’m not sure I ever heard her name. This incredible novel shines light on someone who should be as well known, if not more so, as Leonardo di Vinci or Michelangelo. Gentileschi’s life was the picture of provincial. As a woman in her time, she had little power or respect. Joy McCullough expresses Gentileschi’s frustration, pain, and sadness over this without making her situation seem hopeless. Not only is she not allowed to be known as an incredible artist, but she is also aware that telling anyone about her sexual assault could lead to anything from severe societal ostracization to criminal punishment. A major theme in her journey is figuring out how to find catharsis, how to find support, and how to find justice in an unjust world.

Nothing seems as fitting as telling this artist’s story in verse. McCullough’s language is breathtaking and punching. The scenes of Gentileschi painting have magical imagery. I often found myself pausing to look up the painting she was working on and was just amazed at both her talent and McCullough’s precise craft that captured Gentileschi’s artistic development.

BLOOD WATER PAINT is a great addition to the historical fiction shelf, not only highlighting an underrepresented artist but also providing an emotional manifestation of the power of art, whether that is written art or visual.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Take Me Home: Forests of the World

0.0 (0)
Bite-sized facts about forests from around the globe, pointing out...
Hurricane Summer

0.0 (0)
In this sweeping debut, Asha Bromfield takes readers to the...
All Kinds of Other

0.0 (0)
In this tender, nuanced coming-of-age love story, two boys—one who...
Reign of Secrets

0.0 (0)
At the Midnight Ball, leave your inhibitions at the...
The Forest of Stolen Girls

0.0 (0)
1426, Joseon (Korea). Hwani's family has never been the...
Go the Distance

0.0 (0)
What if Meg had to become a god? After...
In Deeper Waters

0.0 (0)
A young prince must rely on a mysterious stranger...
These Feathered Flames (These Feathered Flames, #1)

0.0 (0)
When twin heirs are born in Tourin, their fates...
Take Me Home: Waters of the World

0.0 (0)
Bite-sized facts about bodies of water from around the globe,...
This Is My America

0.0 (0)
The Hate U Give meets Just Mercy in this unflinching...
Colors in Nature

0.0 (0)
Magnificent, hand-painted illustrations by a rising star of Czech watercolor...
Welcome to Arizona

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Arizona! We're glad you're here! Introducing a new...
I Don't Want to Go to School

0.0 (0)
It's Mouse's first day of school. It's Dinosaur's first day...
Somewhere Between Bitter and Sweet

0.0 (0)
I'm Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter meets Emergency Contact...
Counting Down with You

0.0 (0)
In this sparkling and romantic YA debut, a reserved Bangladeshi...
There's No Ham in Hamburgers: Facts and Folklore About Our Favorite Foods

0.0 (0)
From hot dogs and hamburgers to ice cream and pizza,...

Latest Member Reviews

The Forbidden Wish

"MY THOUGHTS I've read all of Jessica Khoury's books, and enjoyed them, but this one is by far my..."
The Forbidden Wish

"A heart-wrenching tale of love and loss, THE FORBIDDEN WISH tells the story of Zahra, a powerful jinni, and Aladdin,..."
Origin

"There are a lot of things I expected from Ori­gin. Mys­tery, a jun­gle back­drop and even a bit of romance...."
Origin

"In the remote Amazonian Forest a team of scientists are trying to create a new race of immortal people. Finally,..."
Origin

"Origin is about Pia, the first immortal human born in the depths of the Amazon rainforest, one of the major..."
Origin

"Origin is a story of Pia, a perfect, immortal human created through generations of hard work, discovering how to live..."
Origin

"Meet Pia. No last name and isolated from the world, which is the entire globe, except for a small village,..."
Origin

"After being told that she is perfect and just the start of a new race, Pia tries her best to..."
Origin

"Initially, I was intrigued by the premise of this book, and overall it was a satisfying read. The setting was..."
Origin

"Origin brings the reader into the world of Little Cam with ease and a flawless description. The plot is..."
Origin

"You guys, I have been so excited to read Origin. Unfortunately, just because I think a book sounds awesome does..."
Origin

"I was really excited to be able to grab a galley of ORIGIN at ALA. I read the teaser..."