Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 850
Review: The Strange Fascinations of Noah Hypnotik by David Arnold
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Reading the book is like looking at an abstract painting where I can appreciate the beauty of the art but I can’t exactly pinpoint what I am looking at or what’s the artist trying to convey. It’s trippy with a dose of weird and I was pulled into it page by page.

Noah’s concise histories. Noah writes these things he calls concise histories which is like six degrees of separation with historical events, famous people and their birthdays and uncle’s names and their dogs leading to, of course, Noah. It’s really fascinating how he connects himself to these things. It’s like him saying, “This is me. This is my place in the world.”

Relatability. Noah is not the most likable main character out there. He is on the egotistic side. He is hyper self-aware that often, he sees himself more than he sees others. The plus on this is the book provides Noah’s freeflowing personal insights and opinions. It’s a fodder of teen angst and blabber. Any teen who will read this book will surely find and pick up something that he/she can relate to.

Strange fascinations. Speaking of relatability, having an addictive personality and being a perennial people watcher myself, I can so relate with Noah’s four strange fascinations which are basically four strangers he is strangely obssessed about.

It has drawings. There is a part where Noah, while contemplating the passage of time, passes time while drawing things procured by his mind. There are actual drawings on the book and who doesn’t love books with actual drawings?

Chapter titles. I’ve mentioned this before in the blog, I love books with catchy chapter titles.
Pop culture references from music (David Bowie, Radiohead) to TV shows (Friends, Gilmore Girls). David Arnold said that the book is his love letter to Bowie, so it’s a plus if your also a Bowie fan like Noah.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s. In the book, Noah’s sister, Penny, is passionate about this film. And guys I have to confess, I AM PENNY. I have its iconic lines memorized. I sing Moon River at every opportune time.I adore Audrey Hepburn. Like Penny, I find it hard to reconcile how a problematic film as this is a thing that I love. And then came my salvation when Noah said this: “I think it’s okay to recognize a thing’s faults and still like that thing.”

Friendship. The “delicate triangle” friendship among Noah and the Rosa-Haas twins is definitely squad goals but the Noah-Alan duo has a special nook in my heart. They are just so earnest and funny together. And then I found out why they click with such authenticity when I saw this EW exclusive where David Arnold and fellow YA author, Adam Silvera, revealed that the friendship of Noah and Alan is based on their real-life friendship.

Cool Parentals. Aside from his friends, Noah has a cool set of parents to support him.

Mila Henry. She is Noah’s favorite author. Her book, “Year of Me”, is one of of Noah’s strange fascinations. Soundbites of her interviews and excerpts of her book are inserted between parts of the book. Her personality and her works are really fleshed out and she fascinated me so I looked her up and found out that she is just a fictitious person made up by David Arnold and I am wowed, because all that work for your main character’s favorite author is really wow.
Good Points
It's a trippy book with a lot of teenage insights many will com to relate to.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

I've Loved You Since Forever

0.0 (0)
New York Times #1 Bestseller! ...
My Baby Loves Christmas

0.0 (0)
In the My Baby Loves Christmas board book, celebrate all...
Riverland

0.0 (0)
When things go bad at home, sisters Eleanor and Mike...
All You Need Is a Pencil: The Totally Sick Sick-Day Activity Book

0.0 (0)
A perfect, device-free remedy to what to do when the...
Animazes

0.0 (0)
Follow fascinating journeys of animal migration in this beautiful book...
Christmas Cheer for The Grouchy Ladybug

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of the New York Times bestseller Hugs...
Baby Loves the Five Senses: Hearing!

0.0 (0)
Big, brainy science for the littlest listeners. ...

0.0 (0)
In 1935, ten-year-old Alex Maki from Bainbridge Island, Washington is...
Laugh-Out-Loud Halloween Jokes: Lift-the-Flap

0.0 (0)
The #1 bestselling Laugh-Out-Loud Jokes for Kids series is bringing...
Little Tigers

0.0 (0)
Journey with a family of tigers as they search for...
Explorer Academy Codebreaking Activity Adventure

0.0 (0)
Unlock ancient puzzles and secrets introduced via supercool codes and...
One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller

0.0 (0)
A stunningly gorgeous counting book with a delightful surprise ...
Hard Work, but It's Worth It: The Life of Jimmy Carter

0.0 (0)
The first picture book about the inspiring life of humanitarian...
Ready to Fly: How Sylvia Townsend Became the Bookmobile Ballerina

0.0 (0)
An inspiring picture book for little ballerinas everywhere! ...
Odd Dog Out

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming and poignant story from award-winning creator Rob Biddulph...
The First Time I Died

0.0 (0)
The first time I died, I didn’t come back alone......

Latest Member Reviews

I've Loved You Since Forever

"This gorgeous board book celebrates the parent-child bond in an absolutely stunning way. I'VE LOVED YOU SINCE FOREVER suggests that..."
My Baby Loves Christmas

"Babies and toddlers will love the colorful celebration of Christmas in this delightful board book. MY BABY LOVES CHRISTMAS is..."
Riverland

"RIVERLAND is a riveting and complex middle grade magical realism novel. Eleanor and her sister, Mike (nickname, everyone except their..."
Christmas Cheer for The Grouchy Ladybug

"CHRISTMAS CHEER FOR THE GROUCHY LADYBUG talks about everything exciting Christmas has to offer. There's snowflakes, fires, bells, presents, stockings,..."
Under the Snow

"When you see snow, you think of how pretty it is or how cold it is. UNDER THE SNOW opens..."
Laugh-Out-Loud Halloween Jokes: Lift-the-Flap

"LAUGH OUT LOUD HALLOWEEN JOKES is full of cute jokes that are perfect for children aged four and up. The..."
Little Tigers

"After hearing humans and their dogs nearby, Mother Tiger knows it's time for them to find somewhere safer to live...."
Explorer Academy Codebreaking Activity Adventure

"Fans of the Explorer Academy series won't want to miss out on this Codebreaking Activity Adventure. Enter into Explorer Academy..."
One Fox: A Counting Book Thriller

"ONE FOX counts from one to ten in a thrilling way. The fox is hunting for some food and he..."
Odd Dog Out

"In a busy city of normal dogs, there's one that stands out. She does her own thing and dresses her..."
Pete the Kitty Goes to the Doctor

"'Pete the Kitty Goes to the Doctor' by Kimberly & James Dean is a great addition to any child's “I..."
Bach to the Rescue!!!

"'Bach to the Rescue!!!' by Tom Angleberger, illustrated by Elio, is a cute and comedic story about a rich dude..."
Trees: A Rooted History

"When I was a little girl there were only a few books that I drug around with me to stare..."
The Hideout

"The artistry and illustrations in The Hideout are dreamlike, painting a picture of your favorite park and woodland location hidden..."
Dog and Rabbit

"DOG AND RABBIT is a charming tale of friendship. Told in four parts, the book introduces Dog and then Rabbit...."
Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)

"I never wanted to be a superhero as a child, but I wanted to do heroic things. Tristan Strong epitomizes..."
Bernard Pepperlin

"Bernard Pepperlin is the doormouse from Alice in Wonderland. After being forced into a teapot, Bernard climbs out to find..."
The Squatchicorns: A Delightful Read

"In this chapter book, The Squatchicorns by Ellen Potter, the third book in a series about a friendship between a..."
The Cook and the King

"'The Cook and the King' by Julia Donaldson, illustrated by David Roberts, is a cute story that shows how working..."
Santa Mouse

"SANTA MOUSE is a cute rhyme about a mouse who did not have a name but does have a special..."