Review Detail

The Poet X Featured
Young Adult Fiction 740
The Poet X
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

The Poet X felt like coming home. I felt the presence of the bodegas as if I walked by them with my own two feet. I could almost hear the music, that plays from the speakers of a car that sits on the corner of the block--while the guys man the corner like the police, and the girls pretend not to notice them from the stoop of their building. It's NY personified--and not much has changed.

This book is a reflection of a child hood I've lived, in a similar fashion. I felt Xiomara's character as if it were something written by my own hand--because a lot of what she goes through, what she felt, what she does and doesn't say--is an accurate depiction of some of the ways I've felt, and continue to feel--written in short, succinct, purposeful and poetic prose.

The Poet X is one of those books that read you. You don't read it.

Disturbing, and impressive, The Poet X--is a stellar, and meaningful read. It rattled me, and encouraged me.

My one hope coming out of this, is that this book can fall into the hands of someone--that could be just as affected--thoroughly, and completely.

Acevedo, does a stellar job of reminding us of the both the purposefulness, of words if you listen, really listen--and the powerlessness of them, if you ignore--or silence them.

It's a reminder that you matter, you matter, you matter.

Highly recommend!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)

0.0 (0)
One week after their eleventh birthday, the Fowl twins--scientist Myles,...
Kai and the Monkey King (Brownstone's Mythical Collection, #3)

0.0 (0)
When Kai grows tired of her bookish mum not being...
Astro Kittens: Cosmic Machines (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
Astro Kittens: Into the Unknown (Astro Kittens)

0.0 (0)
Greetings, my little Astro Kittens! Are you ready to take...
All the Things We Do in the Dark

0.0 (0)
Sadie meets Girl in Pieces in this dark, emotional thriller...
The Rubicus Prophecy (The Witches of Orkney, #2)

0.0 (0)
Abigail has just started her second year at the Tarkana...
Fancy Nancy: Camp Fancy

0.0 (0)
Based on the Disney Junior TV show and inspired by...
Rules for Vanishing

0.0 (0)
In the faux-documentary style of The Blair Witch Project comes...
What Makes Us

0.0 (0)
A viral video reveals a teen’s dark family history, leaving...
Harry Potter Origami

0.0 (0)
Ever wanted to fold your own Chocolate Frogs? Or play...
By Any Means Necessary

0.0 (0)
Heart-wrenchingly honest, fans of Brandy Colbert and Nicola Yoon will...
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

0.0 (0)
Annie and Lee were just children when a brutal revolution...
Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

0.0 (0)
In 2001, audiences first met and fell in love with...
On the Come Up

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers...
Spin

0.0 (0)
Sixteen-year-old Paris Secord's (aka DJ ParSec) career--and life--has come to...
Leah on the Offbeat

0.0 (0)
Leah Burke—girl-band drummer, master of deadpan, and Simon Spier’s best...

Latest Member Reviews

The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)

"Witty, clever, and full of mischief, THE FOWL TWINS is a spin-off of ARTEMIS FOWL that easily stands on its..."
The Rubicus Prophecy (The Witches of Orkney, #2)

"THE RUBICUS PROPHECY is an engaging second book in the WITCHES OF ORKNEY series that follows the same friends on..."
Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)

"FIREBORNE is a new YA fantasy that follows two teens, Lee and Anna (Antigone) in alternating points-of-view. Lee and Anna..."
Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel

"As Middle Grade graphic novel adaptations go, this urban fantasy is above par. The artwork has a bit..."
Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)

"INTO THE CROOKED PLACE is an engaging YA fantasy that follows five characters on a quest of aligned goals- even..."
To Kill a Kingdom

"TO KILL A KINGDOM is a wonderful YA fantasy about a siren and a pirate. Told in alternating points of..."
The Rift

"THE RIFT is a unique YA fantasy that takes place on Black Water Island, a place prized for the herd..."
Hilda and the Mountain King (Hilda, #6)

"HILDA AND THE MOUNTAIN KING is an engaging and thrilling children's fantasy adventure. This graphic novel tells the story of..."
Glow of the Fireflies

"GLOW OF THE FIREFLIES is a YA fantasy that follows a teenaged girl, Briony, who has no memories from before..."
Ember and the Ice Dragons

"EMBER AND THE ICE DRAGONS is a lush middle grade historical fantasy that follows Ember, a dragon who was transformed..."
Wild Honey from the Moon

"WILD HONEY FROM THE MOON is a story of boundless love and a mother's quest. Mother Shrew is worried about..."
A Treason of Thorns

"A TREASON OF THORNS is a dark and enchanting YA historical fantasy. Violet comes from a long line of Caretakers,..."
Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)

"KINGDOM OF SOULS is a dark epic fantasy that follows Arrah, a girl whose mother is the Ka-Priestess and whose..."
The Lady Rogue

"THE LADY ROGUE is an absolutely thrilling historical fiction/fantasy. In the vein of THE MUMMY but in Romania and with..."
Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball (Amelia Fang, #1)

"AMELIA FANG AND THE BARBARIC BALL is the first book in the Amelia Fang series, a fantasy/magical middle grade series..."
Amelia Fang and the Unicorns of Glitteropolis (Amelia Fang, #2)

"AMELIA FANG AND THE UNICORNS OF GLITTEROPOLIS is ultimately about harmful stereotypes, problems with misinformation, and the subversion of overly..."
A Small Zombie Problem (Zombie Problems, #1)

"A SMALL ZOMBIE PROBLEM is a charming story in the vein of A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS and Tim Burton...."
House of Salt and Sorrows

"Annaleigh just wanted to be in charge of the lighthouse close to her island home. Rumors circulate on the island..."
Reverie

"REVERIE is a captivating and unique YA fantasy without adequate comparisons. The book follows Kane, a teenage boy who was..."
The Bone Houses

"THE BONE HOUSES is a beautifully crafted and full engrossing YA fantasy with some horror aspects. Aderyn (Ryn) is a..."