Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 802
Miles Away From You
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Grief is a funny thing, it's usually messy--and rarely neat--with the barest of touches, it makes a wreck of your life.

Miles Away From You is a wreck of a novel, in that it totally encapsulates grief, it's effects--and what it's like to, try to move on.

Miles' girlfriend is in a coma, and everything outside of her seems wrong. The art website and magazine they've worked on together--seems like a space that will never be filled again.

Everything is just off, and Miles is barely dealing with it. As a result, his Mom's send him off to Iceland. For a month.

In Iceland, he meets people, learns things--and eventually learns how to move forward.

While the book is heavy on the grief, it doesn't feel too bogged down by Vivian's comatose state. It allows for character growth--and story progression, never allowing the story to stay in one place for too long--which can happen when one of the main characters die, or start the story off dead--or even near death.

This book, while not necessarily for everyone, will appeal to a general audience--particularly if you've lost someone before.

There are solid characters, misadventures, and picturesque moments that will appeal to many a reader.

Miles will regale you with his awkwardness, and the changes that slowly take place throughout the story.

A great story for teenagers and adults alike, the overall message of hope will give the reader something to root for, and maybe even a romance to swoon over.
1 like
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Life happens, whether you’re ready or not. All you can...
Breaking Through: How Female Athletes Shattered Stereotypes in the Roaring Twenties

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author Sue Macy offers a fresh and timely account...

0.0 (0)
OUTLANDER meets Robin Hood. Traveling through time...

0.0 (0)
He’s alone He’s tattooed He’s badly burnt ...

0.0 (0)
A cursed dragon hunter A half-blood mage...

0.0 (0)
If genetic engineering could guarantee you and your family perfect...
Slayer (Slayer, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into every generation a Slayer is born… ...

0.0 (0)
Starting a new school is never easy and this time...

0.0 (0)
One Prince. One Witch. One Fate. ...
Dealing in Dreams

0.0 (0)
The Outsiders meets Mad Max: Fury Road in this fast-paced...
Girls With Sharp Sticks (Girls With Sharp Sticks, #1)

0.0 (0)
Some of the prettiest flowers have the sharpest thorns. ...

0.0 (0)
Young Trib follows orders and fights. The Puritanics are...

0.0 (0)
Can one mortal take on all of Faerieland? ...

0.0 (0)
Four tests. Seven days. Nine teens. ...

0.0 (0)
Tommy hears dead people. Okay, one dead person. His best...

0.0 (0)
A hapless girl, a remarkable boy and a....baby? ...

Latest Member Reviews

Roar Like a Dandelion

"A unique alphabet book, ROAR LIKE A DANDELION is filled with instructional that are sure to spark some giggles. Each..."
Loveykins

"What immediately drew me to this book was the cover. Quentin Blake’s drawings are so distinct and beautiful that I..."
I Am Not a Chair!

"I AM NOT A CHAIR is such a great book. It's silly and funny and has a great message for..."
Amelia Bedelia Chapter Book #9: Amelia Bedelia on the Job

"I grew up on Amelia Bedelia books. I remember the ever funny adventures she used to get in to, and..."