Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1718
Review: Batman - Nightwalker
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I will admit, Batman is not my favourite hero but I love Marie Lu so I was excited to see how she would write a teenage Batman to be. She’s a fantastic writer and the mythology was well handled. I liked the idea of a reckless teenage Bruce having to work at Arkham as community service and also seeing Bruce getting more invested in Wayne Enterprises as he was graduating. My favourite thing was the friendship between Bruce, Dianne, and Harvey.

This Bruce was a lot less broody than I was used to from the movies I’ve seen. He was more open, still secretive, but he seemed more playful with his friends and Alfred. He could be frustrating when he thought he knew better than the adults and wouldn’t listen that Madeleine was dangerous. Even as a teenager, the protectiveness of Batman was ingrained into him as he worried about Madeleine, a girl his age in the asylum, and Harvey, his friend with an abusive father.

The dynamics between characters were so amazing in this book, which was to be expected since it was Marie Lu. She writes absolutely amazing character dynamics. The trio of Bruce, Dianne, and Harvey in their last summer before college were an interesting combo and I really loved their friendship. Bruce and Alfred were great, as always in any Batman medium I’ve seen or read. The dynamic between Bruce and Madeleine was as interesting as it was frustrating. She was playing him and he was letting her but their conversations were intriguing.

The plot focused on the Nightwalkers, a gang, and Bruce trying to get information from Madeleine to help the police put an end to the murders happening in Gotham. It fit it well with a superhero plot and was entertaining. With two DC Icons books in the series down, both have made me excited for the next two to come.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Meanwhile

0.0 (0)
Celebrate 10 years of this completely original graphic novel take...
Grant Beagan: The Finder's Code

0.0 (0)
He’s just an ordinary teenager who likes astronomy, video games,...
Fisher- Price Fun in the Jungle: Explore, Touch, and Feel

0.0 (0)
Children will love exploring the different textures in this playful...
Glitter Globes: The Night Before Christmas

0.0 (0)
On the night before Christmas, all over the house, not...
Belinda Fellgate: HellCat

0.0 (0)
A contemporary teen fantasy about an inept 14-year-old girl who...
Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling author...
Music for Tigers

0.0 (0)
Shipped halfway around the world to spend the summer...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. ...
Kingdom of Ice and Bone (The Frozen Sun Saga, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lira and Reyker have lost everything. Including each other....
Sword of the Seven Sins

0.0 (0)
Eva Marteinn never wanted to be a killer. Raised...
Things That Should Stay Buried

0.0 (0)
Some destinies are written in the stars. Others must...
How It All Blew Up

0.0 (0)
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda goes to Italy...
Horrid

0.0 (0)
From the author of You Must Not Miss comes...
Tsalix Silverthorn and the Scepter of Destiny

0.0 (0)
The latest phenomenal work from New York Times Bestselling author...
The Adventures of Bubba Jones (#4): Time Traveling Through Grand Canyon National Park

0.0 (0)
In the fourth book of this award-winning national park series,...
The Companion

0.0 (0)
The other orphans say Margot is lucky. Lucky to...

Latest Member Reviews

Artemis Fowl: Guide to the World of Fairies

""Written" by dwarf Nord Diggums with contributions from experts in the field of magical creatures such as Professor Ivana Therey..."
Artemis Fowl: How to Be a LEPrecon: Your Guide to the Gear, Gadgets, and Goings-on of the World's Most Elite Fairy Force

"Nearly twenty years after its original publication, Artemis Fowl is a movie! It's apparently on Disney Plus, so readers who..."
Wicked Nix

"Wicked Nix is the foulest of the fairies. He's also the protector of the forest and will keep people out..."
The Secret of the Crystal Fairies (Thea Stilton Special Edition #7): A Geronimo Stilton Adventure

"Even though Thea is off on an international scientific expedition to the Arctic, her five friends in the Seven Roses..."
Monica the Marshmallow Fairy: A Rainbow Magic Book (The Sweet Fairies #1)

"Rachel has come back to visit Kirsty, and they are being taken by Aunt Helen to visit Candy Land, a..."
Halfway to Happily Ever After (The Wish List #3)

"Isabelle is in training to become a fairy godmother, but her skills aren't top notch, so she's had to have..."
Perfectly Popular (The Wish Fairy #3)

"In this third book in the series, Brooke finally realizes that making wishes is a very delicate business, and the..."
Fairy Mom and Me

"Ella has the coolest mom ever because she's a fairy. Magic and all. The best part? Ella will be a..."
Granted

"Ophelia Delphinium Fidgets is a young fairy in a very well-developed and complex fairy world. She is supposed to work..."
Luna and the Lost Shell (Fairy Hill #2)

"Luna, Ruby and May are back, and this time the glow globes that are to be used to illuminate the..."
Ruby and the Magic Garden (Fairy Hill #1)

"Luna, Ruby and May are young fairies who live in Fairy Hill. They are learning magic and hope to get..."
Even Fairies Fart

"EVEN FAIRIES FART teaches that nobody's perfect. As children, we listen to fairy tales and dream of having perfect lives..."
A Pinch of Magic (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls #7)

"This series is gold to me. I enjoy so much about it. Each story has a..."
A Dandelion Wish (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls Book 3)

"My daughter loves the fairies of Never Land, and this book series is as excellent as the movies. Plenty of..."
Wedding Wings (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls Book 5)

"I've loved all the books in the Never Girls series. However, none have made me laugh out loud like..."
From the Mist (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls Book 4

"The seven year old me would have been so excited to read this installment of the Never Girls Series. ..."
A Dandelion Wish (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls Book 3)

"I keep coming back to this series because I love so many things about it. First, it's good, clean..."
Rise of the Darklings (The Invisible Order #1)

"Rise of the Darklings was a light read I'd recommend for anyone ages 8+. It was definitely a children's book,..."
The Space Between (Disney Fairies: The Never Girls Book 2)

"What I loved: The second book in The Never Girls series picks up right where the first one left..."
Small Persons with Wings

"It was a cute book. It seemed longer than it should have been, but I enjoyed the story and didn't..."