Review Detail

An Ember in the Ashes FeaturedHot
Young Adult Fiction 5167
A Smoldering Debut
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

A remarkable work of dark YA fantasy—beautifully crafted, and laden with Arabian mythology.

Told in alternating dual POV from the perspectives of spy/slave Laia and unwilling soldier Elias, readers experience this alternate history-feeling dystopian fantasy from two very different sides of society. Ember In The Ashes takes place in what one might imagine from an ancient Roman Empire’s brutal takeover of a more scholarly Middle Eastern nation (without the word ‘Roman’ ever coming into play, of course). A world in which immortals, Jinn, efrits, ghuls, and wraiths exist and affect things—though very few humans seem cognizant or capable of detecting these supernatural forces.

It was a little hard for me to get attached to Laia at first. Not because she wasn’t a sympathetic character, but because I kept expecting her to die in literally every scene. She's constantly fearful, hopelessly outmatched, and shows no signs of the competency needed to keep herself alive. I appreciated that she wasn’t some ridiculously awesome warrior woman, but as the daughter of resistance fighters, a handful of survival skills would have made some sense. (Also would have gone a long way in helping me risk rooting for her outside of the basic instinct for railing against injustice.) But I don’t mean it to sound like more than half a criticism, because this aspect also highlights the degree of high-wire tension that’s maintained for most of the book.

Tahir’s writing is impressive. Her voice is strong, her worldbuilding immersive, and her descriptions evocative. It’s hard not to appreciate how the supernatural elements are gradually woven into the worldbuilding. For a good bit of the book, I found the overarching storyline more of a compelling drive than the main characters (especially since the chances of Laia surviving felt incredibly slim.) But I didn't really mind. I was curious enough just speculating over what was happening on a grander political and preternatural scale.

Content Note: This is a cruel, domineering society entrenched in misogyny; and as such, it’s made clear that rape is a commonplace occurrence. But while it is frequently implied, it is never shown in any graphic detail. (There is an attack on Laia at one point that seems to have this intent, but graphicness of that scene is purely in the violent brutality.) If the mere mention of rape is triggering to you, this is something you may want to consider before reading. This reviewer personally found its handling realistic-yet-tactful. And while the violence and torture places it solidly in the mature YA range, I wouldn’t call even those elements gratuitous.

For those who don’t care much for love triangles, be forewarned that there’s something of a love parallelogram going on here. Elias has an obsession-at-first-sight reaction to Laia (as do a couple of other male characters). And the romance angle seems a touch rushed into, what with how very little most of the characters get to know each other and that constant threat of death looming over everything. (Helene and Elias’ confusing best-friend feeling for each other is easily the most organic and convincing of the pairing options, mainly because they have so clear an established prior history.)

The leave-off is a bit of a cliffhanger, with lots of questions left wide open. But really, the only reason I haven’t charged on into the next book is that I’m waiting for the third one to release. ?
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Hope in the Mail: Reflections on Writing and Life

0.0 (0)
Part writing guide and part memoir, this inspiring book from...
Daniela and the Pirate Girls

0.0 (0)
Who hasn’t heard of the legendary vessel, the Black Croc!...
Child of Galaxies

0.0 (0)
Your body was made from the stuff of the stars,...
Shy Ones

0.0 (0)
He's not the type to stand out. In fact, unless...
You Brought Me the Ocean

0.0 (0)
The voices that shaped LGBTQ Young Adult literature, Lambda Award-Winning...
The Most Dangerous Place on Earth

0.0 (0)
In an idyllic community of wealthy California families, new teacher...
Slamdown Town

0.0 (0)
Ollie and his older brother, Hollis, have wrestling in their...
The Speed of Starlight: An Exploration of Physics, Sound, Light, and Space

0.0 (0)
A contemporary exploration of physics, light, and sound told through...
1,000 Facts About Ancient Egypt

0.0 (0)
Mummies, pyramids, pharaohs, King Tut! Kids everywhere are fascinated by...
Pumpkinheads

0.0 (0)
Deja and Josiah are seasonal best friends. ...
Ragweed and Poppy

0.0 (0)
The first new book about Poppy in more than ten...
Burn

0.0 (0)
On a cold Sunday evening in early 1957, Sarah Dewhurst...
The Right Place

0.0 (0)
A squirrel wakes from hibernation feeling something is wrong with...
I'm Sorry!

0.0 (0)
The perfect story for teaching young children the importance of...
Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed

0.0 (0)
New York Times bestselling author Laurie Halse Anderson (Speak, Shout)...
The Archer at Dawn (The Tiger at Midnight, #2)

0.0 (0)
Romantic intrigue and electric action fill the gripping sequel to...

Latest Member Reviews

Crave

"After the death of her parents, Grace comes to an Alaskan boarding school. Once there, she senses something is 'off'..."
You Brought Me the Ocean

"YOU BROUGHT ME THE OCEAN is a graphic novel of the origin story for Aqualad. Jake is 17 and living..."
The Most Dangerous Place on Earth

" I received a free copy from the publisher through Netgalley. The Most Dangerous Place on Earth centers around a..."
Pumpkinheads

"I am pretty new to graphic novels so when I won a copy of 'Pumpkin Heads' on GoodReads I was..."
Burn

"BURN imagines a world that is just like ours, except that dragons exist. Dragons have been around for longer than..."
Wonder Woman: Tempest Tossed

"WONDER WOMAN: TEMPEST TOSSED is a fantastic new story featuring Diana coming into her own. She has been raised among..."
The Archer at Dawn (The Tiger at Midnight, #2)

"THE ARCHER AT DAWN is a fantastic sequel in the THE TIGER AT MIDNIGHT trilogy. This second book picks up..."
My Calamity Jane

"What worked: This is a fun paranormal twist on historical figures set in the Wild West of 1876. I loved..."
Where Dreams Descend

"FEEDBACK This book was everything I wanted and more. It begins with Kallia and her performance. It quickly descends into..."
The State of Us

"THE STATE OF US is a really fantastic YA contemporary romance that follows the children of two political rivals. Dean's..."
Live Like Legends

"LIVE LIKE LEGENDS is an absolutely fantastic YA fantasy romance. We follow Kalista, who is a princess born to be..."
Blood Countess (Lady Slayers)

"Visually, this book is a gorgeous work of art, splattered with blood from cover to cover. For those familiar with..."
Like Sisters on the Homefront

"Top 3 reasons to read LIKE SISTERS ON THE HOMEFRONT: 1.) The characters- Gayle, a NYC girl sent to..."
Daphne and Velma: The Vanishing Girl

"Daphne Blake and Velma Dinkley are opposites. Daphne is popular, traditionally pretty, and sociable. Velma prefers books and information to..."
Felix Ever After

"Felix has never been in love, but he wants to be. He wants the experience of opening your heart, having..."
The Sullivan Sisters

"Eileen, Claire, and Murphy Sullivan used to be close. They had their special traditions, their shared laughs, and their shared..."
The Summer of Impossibilities

"THE SUMMER OF IMPOSSIBILITIES is a YA contemporary about friendship in the vein of THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS...."
Tarnished Are the Stars

"FEEDBACK I actually really enjoyed this story. The beginning was a little confusing because there wasn’t too much explanation of..."
The Bitterwine Oath

"San Solano, Texas is not only known for its Southern charm but also gruesome murders that took place fifty..."
Wicked Saints: A Novel (Something Dark and Holy, #1)

"FEEDBACK When I first heard about this book I thought it was interesting. Then I saw all the hype..."