Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 2797
a good intro about being a Filipino Immigrant
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Happy Philippine Independence Day!

This is the reason why I picked up this book. June 12 is the day of our Independence. And I thought this would be a good way to celebrate: by reading a book by a Fil-Am author about an immigrant girl.

I was quite wary in reading this because it was published 2004 or 2005. And since it is a "contemporary" book, maybe it's not as contemporary as it is for 2017. But I was wrong apparently! This book actually has depth in it despite the main character. It actually talks about culture, adjustment to new life, being an immigrant, and change.

Speaking of main characters, V is fourteen years old. So I had to channel my fourteen-year-old-self when I was reading it. And guess what. V and I actually have a lot in common! One significant thing for sure was being boy crazy. I was as bad as her when it comes to boys. And that's the thing. Even though the narrator is a Filipino immigrant, you'll still find something in common with her because everybody knows how to feel in love and looking for that first love.

I actually like a lot of this book. I like the friendship that she built in here. Because I for one know how hard it is being an immigrant and all that stuff. I think it was a genuine friendship and that was really cool. The family aspect is also amazing. Family is very important in the Philippine culture. All the quirks, traditions, the small itty bitty details just immerse me in familiarity because that's how I am with my family too.

Personally, the author's examples and explanations of how Manila and the Filipino people are actually on point. For someone who doesn't know anything about the Philippines, the glimpses given here are a good way to have an idea about Manila. But just Manila not the entirety of the country.

Like I said, there was actual depth in this. A teen or a tween will, in my opinion, would learn something from this and I really like that.

This is a really good book, but it was quite dragging. There's just some stuff that I thought was overly explained.

Really good book. And I'm so happy Melissa de la Cruz gave us a voice.
Good Points
~ glimpses about Manila and the Philippine culture
~ the Filipino traditions are on point
~ more depth to it than I expected
~ contains a plot twist
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Finding Junie Kim

0.0 (0)
Junie Kim just wants to fit in. So she keeps...

0.0 (0)
Speak enters the world of Gossip Girl in this modern...
Sister of the Bollywood Bride

0.0 (0)
For fans of Morgan Matson's Save the Date comes a...
Nosotros Means Us: Un cuento bilingüe

0.0 (0)
A moving bilingual ode to the unshakeable bond between a...
Awakened Are the Starry-Eyed

0.0 (0)
A new city and unexpected freedom give Andrea the fresh...
A Brutal Justice

0.0 (0)
Protect the weak. Safety for all. Power without virtue is...
A Tale of Ashes

0.0 (0)
Across the country, human teens are going missing, and all...
The Captain's Daughters

0.0 (0)
What would you do if you were abducted by aliens,...
The Hollow Inside

0.0 (0)
Seventeen-year-old Phoenix has spent much of her life drifting from...
Truth or Dare

0.0 (0)
Welcome to Summervale… One of the USA’s top vacation...
Around Curiosity's Edge: Hidden Meridians

0.0 (0)
A hidden world waits, a dark society schemes, and a...
Spells Trouble (Sisters of Salem, #1)

0.0 (0)
Double double, twins spell trouble… ...

Latest Member Reviews

Their Fractured Light (Starbound #3)

""Their Fractured Light" is a satisfying conclusion to the Starbound trilogy. Each book has followed a different couple along a..."
These Broken Stars (Starbound #1)

""These Broken Stars" is an interesting YA sci-fi that follows two young people after a space shuttle crash. Lilac LeRoux..."
This Shattered World (Starbound #2)

""This Shattered World" follows Jubilee (Lee) and Flynn, who live on a planet that has failed terraforming, leaving it with..."

"I’ll admit I was a bit hesitant to pick this one up. First of all, it sounded a bit like..."
Hunted

"What I love most about this book is the setting. Medieval Russia, like hell yeah sign me up! I love..."
Hunted

"Beauty and the Beast was my favorite movie growing up, so I was so excited to read this book and..."
Hunted

"When I was a kid Beauty and the Beast was one of my favorite Disney movies. I fell in love..."
Their Fractured Light (Starbound #3)

"THEIR FRACTURED LIGHT is the final installment in this series. Despite the fact that the book centers on a whole..."

"Second book in the trilogy. Different main characters. Different planet. But same enemy. THIS SHATTERED WORLD stars Jubilee Chase and..."

"If you like journey and survival stories with a little romance thrown in, I think you'll like These Broken Stars...."

"MY THOUGHTS I loved These Broken Stars, so I was excited to read this book! This book wasn't quite..."

"MY THOUGHTS I loved These Broken Stars, so I was excited to read this book! This book wasn't quite as..."

"For the first 70% of this book I was kind of bored, it wasn't a bad book but it was..."

JenJen
"Romeo and Juliet take a ride on the Titanic through an episode of Lost in fancy clothes. What..."

"Let me start off by saying that These Broken Stars has one of the prettiest covers I’ve ever seen. That..."

" Friends, if you like science fiction and romance and this book isn’t already on your Christmas list, please add..."
Shadowlark (Skylark #2)

"What I Liked: Though Skylark didn’t achieve a ranking among my very favorite books, I was quite impressed with Spooner’s..."

"These Broken Stars has been on my to read list since January 2012 and when I saw the cover I..."
Skylark (Skylark #1)

"You can enter to win a copy of the book (U.K Edition) here: http://perrytheplatypus1102-3daydreamer3.blogspot.com/2013/02/an-insight-of-characters-world-guest.html Giveaway is open to anyone..."
Skylark (Skylark #1)

"I've read a lot of just good and pretty meh books lately and let me tell you, Skylark was a..."