Silent Featured
Young Adult Fiction 1796
Silent
(Updated: April 30, 2017)
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

SILENT by David Mellon is quite cinematic, which makes sense as the author has been a storyboard artist in the film and television industry for the last thirty-five years. All of the descriptions in this historical fantasy, whether they are people or places, are primarily visual, so much so that it is easy to picture the world Mellon has created. Even the page breaks he uses are reminiscent of a movie edit, where in the middle of a linear story, a flashback or additional information can be spliced in without an intro or an outro. The novel is split into three parts, similar to the typical three act structure of most screenplays. While some books could never be adapted easily into a film, SILENT is the perfect candidate.

Consequently, this novel is a great way to introduce young readers to the World War I era. Not only is SILENT accessible and easier to read thanks to its cinematic nature, but the fantastical element is also very entertaining. SILENT follows young Adi, who stumbles upon misfortune when a mysterious man named Coal kidnaps her two younger brothers. Coal gives Adi a gold watch that contains four riddles. Once Adi can solve all of them, she will be able to find out where her brothers are being kept. The only caveat is that her time to find them is limited and she is not allowed to speak or write. Between Adi’s quest, a royal family, and a landscape of foreign lands, SILENT has the recipe for a great novel.

I did, however, wish to have a more conclusive ending. I was waiting the entire book to find out exactly who Coal is, what motivates his behaviors, and why he has a bug collection. I was also curious why Halick’s behavior changes so drastically. Was that also Coal’s doing or did Halick suddenly develop morals? Finally, how will Adi survive now and where is her father? In other words, there are many unanswered questions, even more than the ones listed. Mellon alludes perhaps to a second book set during World War II, which hopefully would address these issues. In the meantime, I would not be surprised if Mellon puts on a director’s cap. SILENT is definitely a movie I would go see, let alone a novel that will be enjoyed by all who love history, romance, magic, and adventure.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 4 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Spells Trouble (Sisters of Salem, #1)

0.0 (0)
Double double, twins spell trouble… ...
10 Truths and a Dare

0.0 (0)
It's Senior Party Week, that magical in-between time after...
The Promised Prince

0.0 (0)
Perfect for fans of the Selection series by Kiera...
Indivisible

0.0 (0)
This timely, moving debut novel follows a teen's efforts...
The Other Side of Perfect

0.0 (0)
For fans of Sarah Dessen and Mary H.K. Choi,...
Counting Down with You

0.0 (0)
In this sparkling and romantic YA debut, a reserved...
Gutter Girl (Twin River High, #1)

0.0 (0)
Star football player Jace Rovers has a secret. And...
Secondhand Dogs

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming—and heart-tugging—middle grade novel about love, loyalty, and what...
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series: The Road Trip

0.0 (0)
Join everyone's favorite Wildcats from the Disney+ smash hit original...
I'll Meet You in Your Dreams

0.0 (0)
A heartwarming text honoring the ever-evolving relationship of a parent...
Colors of Habitats

0.0 (0)
The brand-new sequel to a well-reviewed bestseller that has been...
Noble Thief (Fantasy and Fairytales Book 6)

0.0 (0)
A prince of two kingdoms. A woman fighting against the...
All These Bodies

0.0 (0)
Sixteen bloodless bodies. Two teenagers. One impossible explanation. ...
The Beautiful Ones

0.0 (0)
They are the Beautiful Ones, Loisail’s most notable socialites, and...
I Am the Shark

0.0 (0)
What makes the great white shark (one of) the greatest...
Made in Korea

0.0 (0)
Frankly in Love meets Shark Tank in this feel-good romantic...

Latest Member Reviews

Go the Distance

"Go the Distance by Jen Calonita is the latest installment in Disney’s Twisted Tale series. This time the story focuses..."
The Evil Queen audiobook

"The Evil Queen by Gena Showalter has been on my radar since it first hit shelves in 2019. I love..."
Go the Distance

"Hercules proved he was a true hero and became a god like his parents, Zeus and Hera. Meg is thrilled..."
Meet Cute: Some people are destined to meet

"MEET CUTE is a fun, romantic anthology featuring stories about people first meeting. Ranging from cute to funny to dark..."
Victor and Nora: A Gotham Love Story

"VICTOR AND NORA is a romance graphic novel that will make you both smile and cry. The death of Victor's..."
Love & Olives (Love & Gelato #3)

"Olive Varanakis's father was obsessed with the lost city of Atlantis, and since he was born and raised on the..."
Hot British Boyfriend

"Ellie lives in Washington D.C. and attends an elite school, even though the tuition is a stretch for her single..."
The Quantum Weirdness of the Almost-Kiss

"THE QUANTUM WEIRDNESS OF THE ALMOST-KISS is a delightful YA STEM-themed romance. Evie and Caleb have been BFFs since they..."
To Whatever End

"TO WHATEVER END is a YA contemporary with a magical twist - the main character is able to see the..."
The Camelot Betrayal (Camelot Rising, #2)

"Now that the Dark Queen has risen, Guinevere and Arthur must do everything they can to keep Camelot safe. However,..."

"THE CAMELOT BETRAYAL by Kiersten White is the second book in her YA retelling of the King Arthur Legend. The..."
The Bitterwine Oath

"THE BITTERWINE OATH is a YA fantasy and light horror read. Nat is the descendent of the girl who put..."
Hot British Boyfriend

"When Ellie is completely humiliated by her best friend an crush, she decides the best way to escape her jeering..."

"THE CAMELOT BETRAYAL continues Guinevere's story as she seeks to find her footing in a world that keeps throwing her..."
Loveboat, Taipei

"WHAT I LOVED: Ever’s pushy parents have already gotten their way by making her apply to medical school, but..."
The Mermaid, The Witch, and the Sea

"THE MERMAID, THE WITCH, AND THE SEA is a lush, beautiful, and romantic fantasy that follows Flora, now living as..."
Now That I've Found You

"Evie is a young actress living in L.A. and has a legacy to live up to. Her parents are famous..."
These Violent Delights

"Eighteen-year-old Juliette Cai is the heir to the powerful Shanghai gang the Scarlets. Their rivals are the Russian White Flowers...."
13 Little Blue Envelopes

"Ginny's artistic, beloved aunt Peg moved away from the US suddenly, and passed away unexpectedly. When Ginny receives a packet..."
Kingdom of the Wicked

"Thrills and chills abound in Kerri Maniscalco‘s new release Kingdom of the Wicked. I don’t know where to start! This..."