Review Detail

Honestly Ben Featured
Young Adult Fiction 1158
A Phenomenal
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Ben Carver is a perfectly normal high-achieving boy. He is a scholarship student at a fancy private school. He has a family that he loves. He’s on the baseball team. He has met a beautiful girl who likes him as much as he likes her. And he just won a scholarship that will guarantee his ability to go to college despite his family’s low-income status.

But Ben doesn’t feel like he’s perfectly normal. The stress of others’ expectations is weighing on him… and then there’s the *whatever* that happened with his best friend Rafe last semester. And whatever THAT was and his reaction to it has ensured that he doesn’t really have a best friend anymore.

In short, Ben is starting to drown, and he’s trying to figure out how to keep himself afloat.

HONESTLY BEN is the first book by Bill Konigsberg that I’ve read—I’m not sure how that’s possible, but it’s true—and after finishing it, my first thought was “I want to read all of his other books, and then I want to read them again, and then I want to be Bill Konigsberg's best friend and hang out with him all the time.”

I’m sure that wouldn’t be creepy to him at all.

As for the book, HONESTLY BEN is a beautiful portrayal of a young man’s attempt to figure out who he is. But it’s not just beautiful, it’s funny too. And to make it even better, it’s full of tension and low-key action and, ultimately, acceptance. But not in a way that ties everything up neatly, which makes the book even better.

Ben is one of my favorite YA literary characters, and at moments in the book when I want to roll my eyes because he’s just TOO perfect, he’s kind enough to do something insensitive or selfish. His relationships with his friends, his teammates, his girlfriend, and his boyfriend are all authentic—heck, HE’S authentic.

HONESTLY BEN has more wit and wisdom than any YA book I’ve read in a while, and I think most readers will be able to identify with it some way. I’m really looking forward to reading more from the author.

My thanks to YA Books Central and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for my unbiased review.
Good Points
A book filled with wit and wisdom

A great main character
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 2 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Two friends in the 1980's were graduating from Cosmetology School....
Twisting Minds

0.0 (0)
How can you trust your heart when you can't trust...
The Art of Holding On

0.0 (0)
Life happens, whether you’re ready or not. All you can...
Breaking Through: How Female Athletes Shattered Stereotypes in the Roaring Twenties

0.0 (0)
Award-winning author Sue Macy offers a fresh and timely account...
Outlawed

0.0 (0)
OUTLANDER meets Robin Hood. Traveling through time...
The Path We Take

0.0 (0)
He’s alone He’s tattooed He’s badly burnt ...
Half-Blood Mage

0.0 (0)
A cursed dragon hunter A half-blood mage...

0.0 (0)
If genetic engineering could guarantee you and your family perfect...
Slayer (Slayer, #1)

0.0 (0)
Into every generation a Slayer is born… ...
Magic Bound

0.0 (0)
Starting a new school is never easy and this time...
When Wishes Bleed

0.0 (0)
One Prince. One Witch. One Fate. ...
Dealing in Dreams

0.0 (0)
The Outsiders meets Mad Max: Fury Road in this fast-paced...
Girls With Sharp Sticks (Girls With Sharp Sticks, #1)

0.0 (0)
Some of the prettiest flowers have the sharpest thorns. ...

0.0 (0)
Young Trib follows orders and fights. The Puritanics are...
Fae Hunter

0.0 (0)
Can one mortal take on all of Faerieland? ...
Rising

0.0 (0)
Four tests. Seven days. Nine teens. ...

Latest Member Reviews

Wardens of Eternity

"WARDENS OF ETERNITY follows Ziva, a young woman who was abandoned as a toddler, became a ward of the state,..."
Where the World Ends

"WHERE THE WORLD ENDS is an intriguing historical fiction, based on a true story. The boys of Hirta are sent..."
The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

"After killing a man in Paris, Celine is forced to flee to a different country and finds herself in New..."
The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

"THE BEAUTIFUL takes place in New Orleans, primarily following a young woman, Celine. Celine fled France after a terrible event..."
The Fountains of Silence

"Eighteen-year-old Daniel Matheson goes to Madrid, Spain with his family in order for his mother to reconnect with the country..."
Nightingale

"Amy Lukavics is one of my favorite horror writers. All of Lukavics's books are a little odd (in the best..."
The Lady Rogue

"THE LADY ROGUE is an absolutely thrilling historical fiction/fantasy. In the vein of THE MUMMY but in Romania and with..."
Voyages in the Underworld of Orpheus Black

"VOYAGES IN THE UNDERWORLD OF ORPHEUS BLACK is a story about brotherhood, war, and the power of art. Harry is..."
Remember Me

"REMEMBER ME is an engaging mystery/thriller that goes back and forth through time. We follow Lea in the past when..."
A Dress for the Wicked

"A DRESS FOR THE WICKED is a lush and enthralling YA historical fiction that feels anything but historical! Emmaline (Emmy)..."
In the Neighborhood of True

"After her father's untimely death, Ruth Robb's mother uproots her and her little sister from New York City to Atlanta,..."
Emmie and the Tudor King

"What worked: Fast-paced time travel romp through Tudor England. Readers find out what might have happened if Queen Elizabeth I..."