Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1409
Review: Silver Stars - Michael Grant
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

I really enjoyed reading the first book in this series, Front Lines, so I was really excited for this sequel. These books are long but never feel like it. They’re packed with historical events without feeling dry. They tell the story of some great female characters that I would love to know in real life. They’re growth through these first two books have been amazing journeys and absolutely compelling stories to read.

I loved seeing how Rio, Frangie, and Rainy had all changed from the beginning of the first book to the end of this one. They’re growth was believable and it was amazing to see how much they had changed, to the point where they were nowhere near the girls who had started their journey. Just like in the first book, each character managed to do the most with their shared POV and made it so hard to pick a favourite of the three of them. I loved seeing them interact with the other soldiers and the dynamics it created.

The near 600 pages fly by with all the action that happened. The pacing was great, never feeling like it was too fast or like growth or the softer moments were being sacrificed for too much action. There was a good balance throughout the whole book. The book brought up many issues, religion, racism, sexism, politics in a way that seemed natural to the plot and not shoehorned in, which was great.

It was a great follow up to a book I really enjoyed in Front Lines but also stood on its own as a great book in the series. It pushed the characters and the plot forward and set up the next book without feeling like it was a placeholder in between the beginning and the end. The downside is having to wait so long for the next book.
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

How to Make Friends with the Dark

0.0 (0)
Here is what happens when your mother dies. ...
Girl at Heart

0.0 (0)
As the daughter of a successful Major League pitcher, Charlie...
Serious Moonlight

0.0 (0)
After an awkward first encounter, Birdie and Daniel are forced...
Sway

0.0 (0)
In Kat Spears’s hilarious and often poignant debut, high school...
Scarlet Epstein Hates it Here

0.0 (0)
Meet Scarlett Epstein, BNF (Big Name Fan) in her online...
The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)

0.0 (0)
New York Times bestselling author Renée Ahdieh returns with...
The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future

0.0 (0)
Bestselling Divergent and Carve the Mark author Veronica Roth...
The Boy Who Dreamt the World

0.0 (0)
Adam is living the dream, literally.... There are two...
Colliding Skies

0.0 (0)
Since Skye Reilly can remember, she has been looking...
What Makes Us

0.0 (0)
A viral video reveals a teen’s dark family history,...
Dating Nashville

0.0 (0)
Becks: How does a straight guy accidentally come out...
Take the Mic: Fictional Stories of Everyday Resistance

0.0 (0)
A young adult anthology featuring fictional stories of everyday...

Latest Member Reviews

The Cook and the King

"'The Cook and the King' by Julia Donaldson, illustrated by David Roberts, is a cute story that shows how working..."
Dias y Dias/Days and Days

"'Dias y Dias, Days and Days' by Ginger Foglesong Guy, illustrated by Rene King Moreno, is a simple story that..."
Everybody Says Meow

N/A
"What I Loved: This is one of those books that you can't help but smile while you read, even..."
Goldilocks For Dinner

"What I loved: The illustrations in this book are unique and eye catching, engaging the children from the outset. The..."
This Is Not That Kind of Book

"THIS IS NOT THAT KIND OF BOOK is a humorous jaunt through book genres and classification with some messages about..."
Smile: How Young Charlie Chaplin Taught the World to Laugh (and Cry)

"'Smile: How Young Charlie Chaplin Taught the World to Laugh (and Cry)' by Gary Golio, illustrated by Ted Young, is..."
Even Monsters Go To School

"This book is so completely adorable it's hard to figure out where to begin. The story is about..."
Can Cat and Bird Be Friends

"This was an odd one. Cat and bird are trying to determine if they can be friends or..."
Cece Loves Science and Adventure

"Books about girls who love science are always winners! Cece and her friends are trying to win their..."
Hannah Sparkles: Hooray For the First Day of School

"This book is absolutely adorable. Hannah is starting first grade and excited about making friends. Only, every time..."
Turtle and Tortoise Are Not Friends

"Turtle and Tortoise Are Not Friends is a cute children's book that kids will like simply for the fact that..."
Egg

"EGG is a cute and simple board book that primarily focuses on the illustrations. The story begins with four eggs,..."
Knock Knock

"'Knock Knock' by Tammi Sauer, illustrated by Guy Francis, is a cute picture book about a bear getting prepared for..."
My Wish For You A Message for Every Girl and Girl at Heart: Lessons from My Six-Year-Old Daughter

"My wish for you is the quintessential girl power read. Although it seems to focus on empowering young girls..."
The Magician's Hat

"'The Magician's Hat' by Malcolm Mitchell, illustrated by Joanne Lew-Vriethoff, is destined to be one of your favorite children's books...."
Pinkalicious and the Pirates

"'Pinkalicious and the Pirates' by Victoria Kann captures the fun and games that all of Kann's 'Pinkalicious' books include. The..."
If You're Groovy and You Know It, Hug a Friend

"'If You're Groovy and You Know It, Hug a Friend' by Eric Litwin, art by Tom Lichtenheld, will have readers..."
Shorty & Clem Blast Off!

"'Shorty & Clem Blast Off!' by Michael Slack is a cute addition to Shorty and Clem's adventures. The first book..."
Bear's Spooky Book of Hidden Things: Halloween Seek-and-Find

"'Bear's Spooky Book of Hidden Things' by Gergely Dudas is for anyone who loves books like 'Where's Waldo?' Even adults..."
Sleep Train

"'Sleep Train' by Jonathan London, illustrated by Lauren Eldridge, is a sweet bedtime story for lovers of rhythm, counting, and..."