Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 1982
Imaginative Retellings Of Favorite Fairy Tales!
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

Fans of Beastly, rejoice! In this new installment of the Kendra Chronicles, we get to follow Kendra--the powerful, immortal witch who cursed a popular, arrogant High School boy and turned him into a beast--in her journey following love and helping those to find their own.

What I liked:

It was a pleasant surprise to find out that this book retells a few of my favorite childhood fairy tales (having missed reading about it before picking up this book) with meddling from Kendra. Beheld starts off with Little Red Riding Hood, but then moves on to Rumpelstiltskin, East of the Sun and West of the Moon, and The Ugly Duckling. Each story features a different point of view from each starring role of the fairy tales and they take place during different time periods of Kendra's long life up until our present day.

My favorite retelling turned out to be Rumpelstiltskin's, for the main character by the name of Cornelia is an avid reader and much of the story revolves around her appreciation of the written word and how this influences her love life. I particularly enjoyed the spin to this fairy tale's ending-- incredibly sweet and perfect for the characters. It certainly left me wanting more! However, the rest of the retellings are equally enjoyable and extremely hard not to fall in love with.

Having read Beastly (the first book in the Kendra Chronicles) such a long time ago had made me forget how quickly the author, Alex Flinn, manages to suck readers into her stories. Her writing is fantastic and imaginative, smooth and easy to follow with no chance of ever getting bored. And the good part is that most of her works can be read as standalones, including Beheld!

What didn't do it for me:

While I loved falling in love with the fairy tales characters and their relationships, I wish to have done the same with Kendra's and Jame's relationship. Somehow their romance felt a bit bland in comparison with the other fairy tales and that's not what I was hoping for. It needed more.

Final Verdict:

Beheld by Alex Flinn is the book to go if you are a fan of retellings and stories within a story. From Little Red Riding Hood to The Ugly Duckling, every reader is bound to fall in love with these fairy tales (and Kendra's antics) all over again!
Good Points
Can be read as a standalone!
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

Breathless

0.0 (0)
From Jennifer Niven, the #1 New York Times bestselling author...
Music for Tigers

0.0 (0)
Shipped halfway around the world to spend the summer...
Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

0.0 (0)
A broken world. An overwhelming evil. ...
Kingdom of Ice and Bone (The Frozen Sun Saga, #2)

0.0 (0)
Lira and Reyker have lost everything. Including each other....
Sword of the Seven Sins

0.0 (0)
Eva Marteinn never wanted to be a killer. Raised...
Things That Should Stay Buried

0.0 (0)
Some destinies are written in the stars. Others must...
How It All Blew Up

0.0 (0)
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda goes to Italy...
Horrid

0.0 (0)
From the author of You Must Not Miss comes...
Tsalix Silverthorn and the Scepter of Destiny

0.0 (0)
The latest phenomenal work from New York Times Bestselling author...
The Adventures of Bubba Jones (#4): Time Traveling Through Grand Canyon National Park

0.0 (0)
In the fourth book of this award-winning national park series,...
The Companion

0.0 (0)
The other orphans say Margot is lucky. Lucky to...
Sanctuary

0.0 (0)
It's 2032, and in this near-future America, all citizens...
Teen Titans: Beast Boy

0.0 (0)
Author Kami Garcia (Beautiful Creatures) and artist Gabriel Picolo,...
The Magic Misfits: The Fourth Suit (The Magic Misfits, #4)

0.0 (0)
The Misfits must work together to fend off mysterious attacks...
Duck and Penguin Do Not Like Sleepovers

0.0 (0)
A hilarious bedtime romp tackles the thrills and anxieties of...
Furia

0.0 (0)
A powerful, #ownvoices contemporary YA for fans of The...

Latest Member Reviews

Skyhunter (Skyhunter, #1)

"SKYHUNTER is an enthralling and lush YA fantasy. Lu really paints the story with her words, and this new novel..."
Goddess in the Machine (Goddess in the Machine, #1)

"Andra, a teenager from the 2160s, is put into cryogenic stasis fulling expecting to wake up on another planet one..."
Starsight (Skyward Book 2)

"Strap in, sci-fi fans. This series continuation goes off-world and ups the ante to a galactic scale. Blessedly, Sanderson's..."

"Andra went into cryonic sleep for a hundred years for a trip across the universe to wake up as a..."
Honor Bound (The Honors, #2)

"HONOR BOUND is an electrifying and thrilling YA sci-fi sequel. Zara, Beatriz, and Nadim are on the run from an..."

"GODDESS IN THE MACHINE is a compelling YA sci-fi that follows Andra after she is woken up from cryo'sleep. Andra..."
Deathstrike (Ultraball #2)

"After narrowly avoiding disaster in Ultraball, the Miners (coached by Strike) are back for a new season. When the team..."
The Sound of Stars

"THE SOUND OF STARS takes place after the Earth has been invaded and overtaken by the Ilori. The book follows..."
OtherLife

"OTHERLIFE is the third book in the Last Reality Series by Jason Segel and Kirsten Miller. This YA Sci-Fi novel..."
The Bad Guys in the Baddest Day Ever (The Bad Guys #10)

"Snake is dead, and the Bad Guys, as well as the League of Heroes, are gathered for the funeral. Faced..."
Aurora Rising

"I could not sit Aurora Rising down! This is the first book by the writing duo Amie Kaufman & Jay..."
Imagine Me (Shatter Me #6)

"Have you ever been so blown away by a series that you don't even know how to put all your..."
Bloom (The Bloom Trilogy #1)

"Anaya has horrible allergies to everything; plants, food, animals. They also cause her to have terrible acne, and she is..."
Daniel Coldstar #2: The Betrayer

"Copy provided by Young Adult Books Central After the evens in The Relic War, Daniel, Jasper the..."
In the Red

"Michael Prasad and his family live on a colony on Mars, under a dome that controls the environment. His father,..."
Neffatira's First Challenge

"The descriptions are very beautiful and you can perceive the feelings of the characters to the point of empathy. ..."
Seneca Element (The Seneca Society Book 2)

"The wait is finally over! SENECA ELEMENT by Rayya Deeb is now available. As a huge fan of SENECA REBEL,..."
Midnight on Strange Street

"The town of Callaway, Texas, is a refuge from the global war that is going on and affecting Los Angeles...."
The Burning Shadow (Origin Series, #2)

"I’m not going to lie….I read The Burning Shadow in two days. It could’ve been one sitting if my eyelids..."
The End and Other Beginnings: Stories from the Future

"THE END AND OTHER BEGINNINGS is the latest from DIVERGENT author, Veronica Roth. The novel is comprised of six YA..."