Review Detail

Young Adult Fiction 3868
A Terrific Fairy Tale
Overall rating 

Plot 

Characters 

Writing Style 

As THE WISH GRANTER begins, the King of Sundraille’s illegitimate children, Thaddeus and Arianna, are trying to escape being murdered by their father’s wife to ensure her children are the ones who will inherit her husband’s throne. As Ari sleeps nearby, Thad’s desperation summons Alistair Teague to his side. Teague is one of the powerful fae known as the Wish Granter, and he bargains for humans’ souls in exchange for their deepest desires. Thad wishes to keep his sister safe, and Teague convinces him that the best way to do that is by becoming king—and giving Teague free reign to conduct his illicit businesses within the kingdom of Sundraille. In exchange, Thad’s soul will be turned over to the Wish Granter ten years later.

In the pages that follow, Thad fades into the background as Ari discovers that her brother has bartered his soul and his kingdom to save her, and she is determined to save him in exchange. Ari’s intelligence and tenaciousness are well developed through the story, and her sass, loyalty, and enjoyment of food—both cooking it and eating it—make her lovable and relatable. Early in the book, Ari befriends the new weapons master, Sebastian, and his fighting skill and knowledge of Teague’s business enterprises complement Ari’s strengths as the two work together to save the realm.

Ari quickly became one of my favorite female protagonists in YA literature, and I was happy that the development of her relationship with Sebastian was written so thoughtfully. It was great to see Ari maintain her independence, resilience, and resourcefulness throughout the book while slowly entering into a friendship-turned-romance with Sebastian.

Redwine writes the action sequences clearly and well, and despite the many twists and turns in the plot, I was never lost. The book is inspired by Rumplestiltskin, and the author doesn’t flinch from adhering to the edgy side of the classic tales. Alistair Teague is a merciless character, and this book is a far cry from a Disney retelling—something I really appreciate.

I have CJ Redwine’s THE SHADOW QUEEN, the companion book to THE WISH GRANTER, on my to-read list. I’ll definitely be moving up to the top of the pile based on the strength of this book.

My thanks to YA Books Central and the publisher for a copy of the book in exchange for my unbiased review.
Good Points
Great writing

Wonderful, strong, female protagonist
Report this review Was this review helpful to you? 0 0

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account
Powered by JReviews

FEATURED GIVEAWAYS

Latest Book Listings Added

0.0 (0)
Fifteen-year-old JL Markham's life used to be filled with carnival...
The Lost Legends

0.0 (0)
All her life, Princess Adalina heard tales of the legendary,...

0.0 (0)
In a series of interwoven fictionalized stories, Deborah Noyes gives...
In the Hall with the Knife

0.0 (0)
A murderer could be around every corner in this thrilling...
Birthday

0.0 (0)
Boyhood meets The Sun Is Also a Star in this...
A Betrayal Exposed (Not Every Girl Book 3)

0.0 (0)
Olivia Davenport’s life is finally going smoothly, until if falls...
Finding Mr. Better-Than-You

0.0 (0)
A heartbroken teen, with the help of her best friends,...
Freaky in Fresno

0.0 (0)
Influencers. Movie nerds. Beauty queens. And one pink convertible. Have...

0.0 (0)
Death marked her from her very first breath. ...
Only Mostly Devastated

0.0 (0)
Will Tavares is the dream summer fling―he's fun, affectionate, kind―but...

0.0 (0)
Defending everything they know could cost them everything they...

0.0 (0)
They wanted a chance; they were given a choice: ...

0.0 (0)
Under pressure. Under fire. Some will rise...and some will...

0.0 (0)
The action of Hunger Games, the scope of Maze Runner,...
Lucky Caller

0.0 (0)
With the warmth, wit, intimate friendships, and heart-melting romance...
Echoes Between Us

0.0 (0)
Veronica sees ghosts―more specifically, her mother’s ghost. The afterimages...

Latest Member Reviews

Echoes Between Us

"Veronica can see the ghost of her dead mother. She also suffers from debilitating migraines that hold her back from..."
Only A Breath Apart

"ONLY A BREATH APART alternates POV between Jesse and Scarlett. The two of them used to be best friends as..."
Long Way Home (Thunder Road #3)

"Long Way Home by Katie McGarry is a spectacular addition to the Thunder Road series and my favorite yet. It's..."
Long Way Home (Thunder Road #3)

" Long Way Home by Katie McGarry is a riveting, engaging novel about love and war,..."
Red at Night

"This novella was a fast, easy read that happens to include the first chapter of McGarry's next book, "Take Me..."
Pushing the Limits

"Jumping on the Awesome Book Band Wagon in 3...2...1... WEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Confession time: were it not for the amazing reviews..."
Take Me On (Pushing the Limits #4)

"I don't think it's possible for Katie McGarry to write characters that don't have amazing chemistry. I devoured every book..."
Crash into You (Pushing the Limits #3)

"The third book in the Pushing the Limits series puts Isaiah as the main character, along with a new girl,..."

"If you've read my past reviews for Katie McGarry books, you know I'm a huge fan. *cough* ISAIAH *cough* ..."

"The amazingness of this book was spectacular! I got it on release day and started it the day after. It..."
Dare You To (Pushing the Limits #2)

"I enjoyed Dare You To. It wasn't as good as its predecessor, but not much can live up to Pushing..."
Pushing the Limits

"Oh my God, Pushing the Limits was AMAZING! I'd seen it on the Harlequin Teen Facebook and had decided that..."

"I really need to review this in a full post. I love Katie McGarry's books and this did not disappoint...."
Pushing the Limits

"Echo is struggling to get through her senior year of high school. As if that trial weren't hard enough on..."

"This is my favorite of Katie McGarry's books, by far. In fact, I started reading it after I was a..."

"Could Hardly wait for this book to come out it was not a disappointment "

"When I started reading Dare You To, I was a tad on the worried side. Like Pushing the Limits, the..."

"Yesterday I reviewed Pushing The Limits which is the first book in this series. Today I am reviewing the second..."
Pushing the Limits

"Echo Emerson and Noah Hutchins are not meant to be together. She used to be part of the in-crowd and..."

"Crash into You was another amazing read from McGarry. She sure knows how to write a story about messed up..."